Human Beings, Humans, And People

CIA TOTALITARIANISM

Verified User
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/human being

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
human being
–noun 1. any individual of the genus Homo, esp. a member of the species Homo sapiens.
2. a person, esp. as distinguished from other animals or as representing the human species: living conditions not fit for human beings; a very generous human being.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1855–60]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source human being
n. A human.

noun
any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage [syn: homo]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version) - Cite This Source
human being

a person
Example: Animals may behave like that, but human beings shouldn't.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/human

hu·man /ˈhyumən or, often, ˈyu‑/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hyoo-muhn or, often, yoo‑] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or having the nature of people: human frailty.
2. consisting of people: the human race.
3. of or pertaining to the social aspect of people: human affairs.
4. sympathetic; humane: a warmly human understanding.
–noun 5. a human being.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; earlier humain(e), humayn(e), ME < MF humain < L hūmānus, akin to homō human being (cf. Homo); sp. human predominant from early 18th cent.]

—Related forms
hu·man·like, adjective
hu·man·ness,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/person
per·son /ˈpɜrsən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pur-suhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a human being, whether man, woman, or child: The table seats four persons.
2. a human being as distinguished from an animal or a thing.
3. Sociology. an individual human being, esp. with reference to his or her social relationships and behavioral patterns as conditioned by the culture.
4. Philosophy. a self-conscious or rational being.
5. the actual self or individual personality of a human being: You ought not to generalize, but to consider the person you are dealing with.
6. the body of a living human being, sometimes including the clothes being worn: He had no money on his person.
7. the body in its external aspect: an attractive person to look at.
8. a character, part, or role, as in a play or story.
9. an individual of distinction or importance.
10. a person not entitled to social recognition or respect.
11. Law. a human being (natural person) or a group of human beings, a corporation, a partnership, an estate, or other legal entity (artificial person or juristic person) recognized by law as having rights and duties.
12. Grammar. a category found in many languages that is used to distinguish between the speaker of an utterance and those to or about whom he or she is speaking. In English there are three persons in the pronouns, the first represented by I and we, the second by you, and the third by he, she, it, and they. Most verbs have distinct third person singular forms in the present tense, as writes; the verb be has, in addition, a first person singular form am.
13. Theology. any of the three hypostases or modes of being in the Trinity, namely the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
—Idioms14. be one's own person, to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence: Now that she's working, she feels that she's her own person.
15. in person, in one's own bodily presence; personally: Applicants are requested to apply in person.

[Origin: 1175–1225; ME persone < L persōna role (in life, a play, or a tale) (LL: member of the Trinity), orig. actor's mask < Etruscan phersu (< Gk prósōpa face, mask) + -na a suffix]

—Synonyms 1. Person, individual, personage are terms applied to human beings. Person is the most general and common word: the average person. Individual views a person as standing alone or as a single member of a group: the characteristics of the individual; its implication is sometimes derogatory: a disagreeable individual. Personage is used (sometimes ironically) of an outstanding or illustrious person: We have a distinguished personage visiting us today.
—Usage note See individual, party, people, they.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source per·son (pûr'sən) Pronunciation Key
n.
A living human. Often used in combination: chairperson; spokesperson; salesperson.
An individual of specified character: a person of importance.
The composite of characteristics that make up an individual personality; the self.
The living body of a human: searched the prisoner's person.
Physique and general appearance.
Law A human or organization with legal rights and duties.
Christianity Any of the three separate individualities of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as distinguished from the essence of the Godhead that unites them.
Grammar
Any of three groups of pronoun forms with corresponding verb inflections that distinguish the speaker (first person), the individual addressed (second person), and the individual or thing spoken of (third person).
Any of the different forms or inflections expressing these distinctions.
A character or role, as in a play; a guise: "Well, in her person, I say I will not have you" (Shakespeare).

note:

notice one defintion of human being is human.

Notice one definition of human is human being.

Person seems to have the most NUANCE to it. Note definition 10 in the person post. seems to put PERSON as the lower category, where as damo and some other give PERSON an elevated status.

All these are the same to me.

Basically people, or persons on this site are just trying make up new distinctions to justify murder.

note:

notice one defintion of human being is human.

Notice one definition of human is human being.

Person seems to have the most NUANCE to it. Note definition 10 in the person post. seems to put PERSON as the lower category, where as damo and some other give PERSON an elevated status.

All these are the same to me.

Basically people, or persons on this site are just trying make up new distinctions to justify murder.
Never. You are attempting to give me an opinion that I do not hold, and I laugh as you are so upset about somebody else doing that to you earlier.

Never. You are attempting to give me an opinion that I do not hold, and I laugh as you are so upset about somebody else doing that to you earlier.

Well, good. definition 10 of person was the most interesting find.

We can call people PEOPLE and they will be unaware of our insult.

"Don't be such a person."

Well, good. definition 10 of person was the most interesting find.

We can call people PEOPLE and they will be unaware of our insult.

"Don't be such a person."
This definition would be more in the context of "You people are such Democrats!" or "You people always act this way!"

You do realize that each of those definitions are how the word is used in different context and thus creating different meaning, don't you?

Seriously, one could create an example of using the word in each of those contexts, each would be a different nuance of meaning, hence they create a new definition for each in the dictionary.

You do realize that each of those definitions are how the word is used in different context and thus creating different meaning, don't you?

Seriously, one could create an example of using the word in each of those contexts, each would be a different nuance of meaning, hence they create a new definition for each in the dictionary.

No kidding, but mostly, they mean the same thing.

this bears no relationship to the other debate where I have been consistently using the same meaning of discrimination as my inept foe, despite his claims to the contrary.

Last edited:
This definition would be more in the context of "You people are such Democrats!" or "You people always act this way!"

So do you still view PERSON as a cut above? And the plural as slightly derogatory?

Really the offensive part is the DEMOCRATS part, or the behavior being referenced.

So do you still view PERSON as a cut above? And the plural as slightly derogatory?

Really the offensive part is the DEMOCRATS part, or the behavior being referenced.
It depends again on the context.

One could say, in a derogatory manner, "That person is such a turd!"

"Person" in this context would be as it was in the definition 10 of the word.

It depends again on the context.

One could say, in a derogatory manner, "That person is such a turd!"

"Person" in this context would be as it was in the definition 10 of the word.

But "That human is such a turd" is not derogatory?

Again, it's the TURD part that makes it derogatory.

But "That human is such a turd" is not derogatory?

Again, it's the TURD part that makes it derogatory.
You could use "human" or "person" like this as well...

"Why is that 'person' speaking to me?" Each can be derogatory depending on context. What is so complex about such an idea? I am sure somebody in your lifetime has stated such a thing at least in a television show you were watching or a movie. Where, let's say a socialite sees a homeless person who approaches her... she says, "Why is this 'person' speaking to me?!" or some other contextual behavior where 'person' was used in such a way.

So if I call you a shoe in anger, does that mean "shoe" has a derogatory meaning?
Once again. "What is that shoe, and I use the term in as loose a manner as possible, doing touching my carpeting?" When that shoe happens to be attached to, let's say a yard worker and has nothing clearly wrong about it...

Yes, 'shoe' can also be used in a derogatory manner.

Once again. "What is that shoe, and I use the term in as loose a manner as possible, doing touching my carpeting?" When that shoe happens to be attached to, let's say a yard worker and has nothing clearly wrong about it...

Yes, 'shoe' can also be used in a derogatory manner.

No. totally wrong. A shoe still means a shoe, relatively value neutral. the negativity comes in when it's tracking mud on the carpet. It doesn't mean that the word "shoe" takes on a negative meaning. You're all scrambled up on this one, keemosaby.

No. totally wrong. A shoe still means a shoe, relatively value neutral. the negativity comes in when it's tracking mud on the carpet. It doesn't mean that the word "shoe" takes on a negative meaning. You're all scrambled up on this one, keemosaby.
However "shoe" is the formative noun of the sentence and is used in a derogatory way. You asked if "shoe" could be derogatory, I provide an example of how it can be.

Just as I showed in what way 'person' could be used contextually to be derogatory as the formative noun of a sentence.

However "shoe" is the formative noun of the sentence and is used in a derogatory way. You asked if "shoe" could be derogatory, I provide an example of how it can be.

Just as I showed in what way 'person' could be used contextually to be derogatory as the formative noun of a sentence.

Using a word in a derogatory sentence does not mean that word changes meaning in any way. The impact of a sentence is derived from the combined meaning of all the words. a derogatory or angry utterance does impart negativity to the meaning of the formative noun.

this is something totally different than the discussion about person being innately better than human or whatever.

Using a word in a derogatory sentence does not mean that word changes meaning in any way. The impact of a sentence is derived from the combined meaning of all the words. a derogatory or angry utterance does impart negativity to the meaning of the formative noun.

this is something totally different than the discussion about person being innately better than human or whatever.
However, if it is deemed suitable they often will add another definition to the dictionary for it, as in number 10.

I provided the context around the situation.

I would ask you, what has this to do with the price of humus in Tangoria?

And I, once again, did not devalue the human life in this way. You are attempting to provide meaning that I did not assert to a discussion. You have, as you were so upset about another doing to you earlier today, assumed a value to my assertion that was not asserted or otherwise provided by me. Then ignored a later explanation to continue to assert such a meaning that was not provided, asserted, nor contemplated by me.

However, if it is deemed suitable they often will add another definition to the dictionary for it, as in number 10.

I provided the context around the situation.

I would ask you, what has this to do with the price of humus in Tangoria?

And I, once again, did not devalue the human life in this way. You are attempting to provide meaning that I did not assert to a discussion. You have, as you were so upset about another doing to you earlier today, assumed a value to my assertion that was not asserted or otherwise provided by me. Then ignored a later explanation to continue to assert such a meaning that was not provided, asserted, nor contemplated by me.

I believe you damo. When you said you didn't hold that view, I said "well, good".

Back to tangoria....

Back