I always suspected pinheads were mentally ill...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102943/Republicans-Report-Much-Better-Mental-Health-Than-Others.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats or independents to rate their mental health as excellent, according to data from the last four November Gallup Health and Healthcare polls. Fifty-eight percent of Republicans report having excellent mental health, compared to 43% of independents and 38% of Democrats. This relationship between party identification and reports of excellent mental health persists even within categories of income, age, gender, church attendance, and education.

======================================================

Wow.... 38% ...less than 4 out of 10!! ...Yeah, that's about right! :)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102943/Republicans-Report-Much-Better-Mental-Health-Than-Others.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats or independents to rate their mental health as excellent, according to data from the last four November Gallup Health and Healthcare polls. Fifty-eight percent of Republicans report having excellent mental health, compared to 43% of independents and 38% of Democrats. This relationship between party identification and reports of excellent mental health persists even within categories of income, age, gender, church attendance, and education.

If this were a study about actual mental health, you might have a valid point.

But this is about what people say about their own mental health. As a psychologist, you should be able to see the difference.

This is more about self awareness than about mental health.

What? "As a psychologist?" What??

Dixie is a psychologist? Who are his patients?

No, not really?

I can't say that he is a practicing psychologist. But he claims he graduated from the Univ of Alabama with a degree in psychology.

Upon further study it was realized that the Republican tendency to rate themselfs as happy and sane were attributed to their inability to fathom reality, their denile of factual proof for anything that they disagreed with, and reluctance to accept mental help when needed.

From a purely psychological standpoint, I would venture to say, people who believe they are in excellent mental health are probably in better shape than people who believe they are not. If this were an actual study of actual mental health, it is likely that even more of a discrepancy would be determined. Those who suffer mental health problems, often are reluctant to admit it, while those in excellent mental health are somewhat modest about it.

...And yes Duhla, 1981 graduate, University of Alabama, Psychology major, with a minor in Business Administration. Unless you count my profound works here, no, I am not a "practicing" psychologist.

Wow , thats a good thing Dixie.

Now the people who know their lives need more examination are often the ones who plan on tackling the problems in their lives. I have know lots of people who thought they were just perfect and everything was fine and then saw their world crumble because they could not see the flaws they posessed which led to their lives crumbling.

Kinda like following Bush off a cliff while proclaiming everyone who didnt follow were all messed up.

From a purely psychological standpoint, I would venture to say, people who believe they are in excellent mental health are probably in better shape than people who believe they are not. If this were an actual study of actual mental health, it is likely that even more of a discrepancy would be determined. Those who suffer mental health problems, often are reluctant to admit it, while those in excellent mental health are somewhat modest about it.

...And yes Duhla, 1981 graduate, University of Alabama, Psychology major, with a minor in Business Administration. Unless you count my profound works here, no, I am not a "practicing" psychologist.

So, if a person claims to have excellent mental health, you think they probably have better mental health than people who do not make this claim?

I always heard that wondering if you were crazy was an indication that you weren't.

Self-reporting isn't a great method of determining metnal illness, but at least Democrats are honest about themselves. The true rate of mental illness for Republicans is 100%, because conservatism is a mental illness, while only about 30% of Democrats are conservative. But they don't like to hear common sense.

Wow , thats a good thing Dixie.

Now the people who know their lives need more examination are often the ones who plan on tackling the problems in their lives. I have know lots of people who thought they were just perfect and everything was fine and then saw their world crumble because they could not see the flaws they posessed which led to their lives crumbling.

Kinda like following Bush off a cliff while proclaiming everyone who didnt follow were all messed up.

..that explains the 38% of Democrats who think they are in excellent mental health.

:cof1:

..that explains the 38% of Democrats who think they are in excellent mental health.

:cof1:

Dixie, even you cannot claim that the answers on a poll about what people think of their own mental health is a valid diagnosis of actual mental health.

So, if a person claims to have excellent mental health, you think they probably have better mental health than people who do not make this claim?

I always heard that wondering if you were crazy was an indication that you weren't.

I think that people who believe they are in excellent mental health, are probably more likely to not be mentally unstable, and are likely in pretty good mental shape. I also think that people who know they aren't in excellent mental condition, are likely to be much worse off than they would admit. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, but I think you would find this to be the case across the board.

Dixie, even you cannot claim that the answers on a poll about what people think of their own mental health is a valid diagnosis of actual mental health.

O'Contraire! I certainly do believe it is a valid indicator. Look... take out the word "mental" and just ask people if they feel they are "healthy" or not... the same psychological condition applies. Most people who believe themselves to be in excellent health, are probably not in bad health, while those who don't believe they are in excellent health, probably aren't. It's not that much of a stretch to figure out. Personal perception tells a LOT about a person.

I think that people who believe they are in excellent mental health, are probably more likely to not be mentally unstable, and are likely in pretty good mental shape. I also think that people who know they aren't in excellent mental condition, are likely to be much worse off than they would admit. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, but I think you would find this to be the case across the board.

Dixie, master of induction.

I think it's indicative at how disturbingly fashionable mental illness has become in our society, with people usually wanting to have a mental explanation as an excuse for how they aren't perfect. For instance, "I'm lonely! Therefore, clearly, I have an anxiety disorder."

Half of America is not mentally ill.

I think it's indicative at how disturbingly fashionable mental illness has become in our society, with people usually wanting to have a mental explanation as an excuse for how they aren't perfect. For instance, "I'm lonely! Therefore, clearly, I have an anxiety disorder."

Half of America is not mentally ill.

I think you may have a point there, WM. (surprising as it is)

I would imagine that the dems would be the most likely to consider minor things (anxiety disorders, ADHD, mild depression ect)as marks against their mental health. While more than a few republicans have made fun of some mental disorders such as ADHD.

LOL, yeah Reoublicans are mor likely to rate themselves....

They do seem to think they are correct even when they are repeatedly wrong.

What does this survey really say?

LOL, yeah Reoublicans are mor likely to rate themselves....

They do seem to think they are correct even when they are repeatedly wrong.

What does this survey really say?

Well, usidiot, it seems to say that both Republicans and Democrats, as well as Independents, have no problem 'rating themselves'. Now, Republicans were more likely to say they had excellent mental health, probably because Republicans do have better mental health as a group. Less than a majority of Democrats claimed to have excellent mental health, 38% to be exact. Most likely, this is because Democrats as a group, are loony tunes.

What's interesting here is, all I did was post the survey, and Democrats came out of the woodwork to refute it and call it meaningless. If it had been the other way around, you would be proclaiming it The Truth of All Truth's! You guys are all about "polls" until they show something you don't like, then they are completely meaningless and irrelevant. It's almost comical watching Solitary and Waterhead spin and wiggle.

Pragmatically, just think about this with an open mind a bit... stop jumping to defend your nutcase political party, and think like an intelligent rational person. It stands to reason, most all the cuckoo birds on the public dole, are most likely beholden to the Democrat party, since it's the hand that feeds them... literally... so, naturally, they bring down your overall average. Hey, I can't help what the statistics show, they are what they are, and you should just shut up with the pathetic defense and accept it. This does, however, explain why the Democrat platform is so insane, and why all those Democrat National Convention delegates looked like they just got off the short bus.

Back