I felt stupid... Scammed by an asphalt guy...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
So, I called somebody to come and give me an estimate of what it would cost to fix up my driveway, he got all into what he could do and I told him I just need to know how much it will cost to do these things... He says he'll get his folks and look at it.

Suddenly I hear equipment, he's begun work paving an area he was all excited about but I hadn't given any permission for... So I went out and he shows up suddenly, some work already done... and stupidly I let him continue.

I hadn't had an estimate, but somehow felt obligated. He was giving me a "smoking deal"...

I went out again and asked how much this is all going to cost me and suddenly they were "nearly done" and asked an exorbitant amount of money, and started threatening to sue. At that point I finally listened to what my gut was screaming at me and told him it looks like you'll have to. Then I inspected the work, it was not "done" so there is no way he was entitled to any of my money, let alone over 3 times what it should have cost.

His "agreement" that he gave me noted a specific amount of "inches" it should be... not even close. He didn't finish to the end of the driveway, it was just beyond a joke. It will likely cost me more to fix than the "work" he did was worth, it has negative worth...

GAAAAAH.

How could I fall for this idiocy? I fell so frickin' stupid. Seriously.

So, I called somebody to come and give me an estimate of what it would cost to fix up my driveway, he got all into what he could do and I told him I just need to know how much it will cost to do these things... He says he'll get his folks and look at it.

Suddenly I hear equipment, he's begun work paving an area he was all excited about but I hadn't given any permission for... So I went out and he shows up suddenly, some work already done... and stupidly I let him continue.

I hadn't had an estimate, but somehow felt obligated. He was giving me a "smoking deal"...

I went out again and asked how much this is all going to cost me and suddenly they were "nearly done" and asked an exorbitant amount of money, and started threatening to sue. At that point I finally listened to what my gut was screaming at me and told him it looks like you'll have to. Then I inspected the work, it was not "done" so there is no way he was entitled to any of my money, let alone over 3 times what it should have cost.

His "agreement" that he gave me noted a specific amount of "inches" it should be... not even close. He didn't finish to the end of the driveway, it was just beyond a joke. It will likely cost me more to fix than the "work" he did was worth, it has negative worth...

GAAAAAH.

Lawyer up.

GAAAAAH.

How could I hire so many worthless people at my restaurant.....the answer is that the people who suck tend to be very good at sucking.

Know this, each Great Guy Like Me you find you should make a habit of hugging often, and plying with beer.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

GAAAAAH.

if you didn't give him money you weren't stupid.......he's bluffing, he won't take you to court.....he'll be too busy trying to scam the next guy.....

if you didn't give him money you weren't stupid.......he's bluffing, he won't take you to court.....he'll be too busy trying to scam the next guy.....

That's my guess.. Thankfully I know the DA around in these parts personally. I think they'll change the name of their company, or just stop using this name for a bit, then scam another idiot.

I still feel stupid even though I didn't give him a dime. I think I'll lose money in the deal anyway because I'll have to pay somebody to fix the mess he made of my driveway.

That's my guess.. Thankfully I know the DA around in these parts personally. I think they'll change the name of their company, or just stop using this name for a bit, then scam another idiot.

I still feel stupid even though I didn't give him a dime. I think I'll lose money in the deal anyway because I'll have to pay somebody to fix the mess he made of my driveway.

That's why I advised that you consult an attorney. You have a counter-claim for damages.

BTW, the scammer could sue you in small claims court and put a lien on your property. Search your county clerk's database and see if the scammer's name pops up.

I think they used be called "Irish Pavers". I'm surprised that scam is still around.

That being said, even among the supposedly legitimate driveway pavers, it's difficult to find one who won't rip you off.

Sit back and see what happens before pissing money away on a lawyer.

Sit back and see what happens before pissing money away on a lawyer.

Any scammer who knows what he/she/whatever is doing is going to make sure that a lawyer is not worth it, that a lawyer costs far more than the problem.

They get to decide the problem you see...

Any scammer who knows what he/she/whatever is doing is going to make sure that a lawyer is not worth it, that a lawyer costs far more than the problem. They get to decide the problem you see...

Filing a small claims suit is very inexpensive in Colorado, and a lien is even less expensive.

Any scammer who knows what he/she/whatever is doing is going to make sure that a lawyer is not worth it, that a lawyer costs far more than the problem.

They get to decide the problem you see...

If the work is finished and they don't have a signed contract,they have to take pretty much what's offered

Driveway asphalt industry is notorious for having a lot of fly by night companies. Go around your neighborhood to look for people having their driveway done and research companies for their past work.

Back