I Need Your Help on an Ethics / Logic Problem

AnyOldIron

Atheist Missionary
I need your help. This is mostly for those who have picked up errors in my reasoning before, people like Damo, IH8, and AC etc

I am writing a critique of an argument used by a philosopher called Peter Singer in support of animal rights and vegetarianism. I am not personally arguing against animal rights, this is not my opinion, I am just writing the critique as a philosophical exercise. I need your help in identifying inconsistencies and logical errors in my reasoning. I'm sure there are plenty...lol I don't need further arguments against or for Singer's position, just a 'logic-check'

Singer's argument amounts to:

P: We should aim to minimize suffering *1
P: We should give equal consideration to the suffering of animals. *2
P: Animal suffering is involved in enabling us to eat meat.
P: for the majority, the suffering of the animals involved outweighs the minor suffering in our becoming vegetarian. *3
Ergo, most humans should be vegetarian.

*1: (FYI, Singer operates from a negative utilitarian approach)
*2: (on the grounds that not giving equal consideration merely on the grounds that another entity is of another species is speciesism (and thus irrational))
*3: Schopenhaur's argument on suffering.

In response, I am concentrating on only one of these premises, #2....

Here is my response (badly written, just working out the ideas)....

"I shall argue against Singer's underlying reliance on the principle of equal consideration of interests by showing inconsistencies in his application of this principle.

If, as Singer states, we are to consider equally the interests of sentient species, then the moral judgment required to do this should also be expected equally from all groups, human and non-human. It is possible to demonstrate that non-human sentient entities have no capacity or potential for making such moral decisions and as such, the principle of equality cannot be applied equally. Could we expect a lion to pause before attacking a gazelle to consider equality of interests and calculate whether the suffering of the gazelle is outweighed by the benefits of the lion eating it?

Singer could counter this by pointing to the reductio per absurdum argument that severely brain damaged people and children are incapable of making a moral decision and thus as such moral decisions cannot apply to them also. It is possible to counter the argument that children are incapable of moral decisions, and to require Singer to clarify his statement to children under a certain age are incapable. To counter the main thrust of his counter, it is possible to argue that even young children and those incapable of morality through severe illness or disability have individuals caring for them, people with 'power of attorney' to make those decisions for them and such can be encompassed within the sphere of morality.

Singer could then counter this by stating that human moral entities could act on behalf of sentient non-human entities, yet the differentiating factor would be the potential for moral decisions. Human children, although possibly not capable of making moral decisions initially, do hold the capacity to make moral judgments, as could those with severe brain damage if a recovery occurred. Non-human sentient animals do not have this potential. A suspension of moral capacity doesn't equate to not holding a moral capacity."

Your help is appreciated....

Let me let this sit in the back of my mind for a bit.... I'll try to give an opinion/advise as soon as I have the proper amount of time for it.

I do have a question though. Why does every topic on this deny any possibility of sentience among other types of life than animal?

The Douglas fir tree communicates to others of its kind when attacked by a beetle it begins to excrete a certain chemical, first to kill the beetle, then another to tell every Douglas fir tree within a 50 mile radius that the beetle arrived. They, in turn, begin to excrete that first chemical to kill the beetle as well. Could it be possible that sentience isn't always contained in grey matter? And if it isn't would the idea that killing plants to eat is more "moral" be moot?

I've read one of his books, and a bit about him. His work is very interesting. I can't be of any help to you, I'm afraid, I just wanted to ask you to let us know what happens, I'm very interested.

I do have a question though. Why does every topic on this deny any possibility of sentience among other types of life than animal?

The Douglas fir tree communicates to others of its kind when attacked by a beetle it begins to excrete a certain chemical, first to kill the beetle, then another to tell every Douglas fir tree within a 50 mile radius that the beetle arrived. They, in turn, begin to excrete that first chemical to kill the beetle as well. Could it be possible that sentience isn't always contained in grey matter? And if it isn't would the idea that killing plants to eat is more "moral" be moot?

That's really fascinating about the Douglas fir, I had no idea! I used to cut them down for Christmas trees. :(

Now, I have an artificial one though. Out of laziness, not morality.

That's really fascinating about the Douglas fir, I had no idea! I used to cut them down for Christmas trees. :(

Now, I have an artificial one though. Out of laziness, not morality.
We use an artificial tree because we had a hard time justifying the end of life to celebrate the birthdate of a philosopher whom many believe to be God. But I do not deny the importance to others of such an action.

That's a very relevant objection to Singer's argument, a hypocrisy of the notion of speciesism, Damo.

The objection he might bring to that is that it is the capacity for suffering that drives his (negative) utilitarian position. He could argue that the fir, although alive, has no capacity for suffering. (this is an empirical point that would need to be demonstrated).

That's a very relevant objection to Singer's argument, a hypocrisy of the notion of speciesism, Damo.

The objection he might bring to that is that it is the capacity for suffering that drives his (negative) utilitarian position. He could argue that the fir, although alive, has no capacity for suffering. (this is an empirical point that would need to be demonstrated).
Studies in Switzerland on simple grasses was able to determine that not only did plants react to being pulled, but that when the same person returned to the scene they reacted before being pulled.

I'll see if I can find a link to that one. It may be difficult, it is ooooold.

This is some supporting evidence that plants may suffer too.

However, IMO, that we cannot understand the reaction or hear the voice does not mean that they are not "screaming". They may be "varelse", sentient but without a form that we may communicate to understand them. Would it make it more moral if we simply didn't know and therefore killed sentient beings because we believed all sentience to be contained in grey matter?

We use an artificial tree because we had a hard time justifying the end of life to celebrate the birthdate of a philosopher whom many believe to be God. But I do not deny the importance to others of such an action.

I have referred to Christmas trees as sacrificial conifers for many years.
Actually the Christmas tree tradition came from a pagan midwinter festival in Germany I think.

I have referred to Christmas trees as sacrificial conifers for many years.
Actually the Christmas tree tradition came from a pagan midwinter festival in Germany I think.
Honestly, regardless of where it came from, it became a tradition for the celebration of something else. If we were constantly worried about where something started rather than how it is applied we would all still be worshipping a myriad of gods.

AOI you're in luck. I wrote a paper on this in college. I don't have it with me right now but I can email it to you when I get home.

Damo you truly are my philosophical twin. We do exactly the same thing. To cut a tree down for a pleasure that could easily be granted by an artificial tree is immoral in my eyes.

Damo you truly are my philosophical twin. We do exactly the same thing. To cut a tree down for a pleasure that could easily be granted by an artificial tree is immoral in my eyes.
Truly. I still find it amazing.

I couldn't agree more. We have a growing Norfolk pine inside; we hang things on it during the holidays. We just have to be sure to put the birds (plaster) away from the windows, though. A few years ago a kestrel sort of brained himself against the window trying to reach the fake cardinal hanging on one of the branches. He recovered swiftly and flew away, apparently unharmed.

If we wanted to be as moral as possible we could try to eat only non living things like milk eggs or parts of plants that evolved specifically to be eaten such as fruits (although one could argue that because you are not spreading its seeds by doing so that you are violating the terms of the fruit being offered to you)

Obviously this is a very difficult way to live and I would not be able to do so in a healthy way.

Another interesting idea is that we should eat the largest of living things because we can feed many with the death of single being. Thus it is actually far more ethical to kill a blue whale for food than 10000 sardines.

However we must also consider than each living entity is a necessary component of the biosphere and eating living things in a non naturalistic way may cause more harm than the alternative.

" then the moral judgment required to do this should also be expected equally from all groups, human and non-human."

the above quote is your idea. Not all axioms are reversible.

And speciesism isn't irrational. Heartless maybe, unfair maybe, but not irrational.

" then the moral judgment required to do this should also be expected equally from all groups, human and non-human."

the above quote is your idea. Not all axioms are reversible.

And speciesism isn't irrational. Heartless maybe, unfair maybe, but not irrational.

I think you should can your argument and use mine. "Is speciesism irrational?"

It's fully rational to refuse empathy to things you eat, then you get to eat them.

Back