I spent most of Saturday trying to attach a brush hog to my tractor....

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
And I failed utterly and miserably, even hurting my knee in the process...

I need some uneducated hayseed to come show me what the heck I am doing wrong, because my education didn't help me.

Truly. I felt useless, so.. on Sunday I put air conditioning into the wife's ceramic studio so I could be certain to get something done and my entire Memorial Day weekend would not be lost to useless. It worked amazingly well. I have to go back out to make sure that the thermostat is working and that it shuts off when it reaches her desired temp.. but it was running when I left...

Last edited:

I need some uneducated hayseed to come show me what the heck I am doing wrong, because my education didn't help me.

Truly. I felt useless, so.. on Sunday I put air conditioning into the wife's ceramic studio so I could be certain to get something done and my entire Memorial Day weekend would be lost to useless. It worked amazingly well. I have to go back out to make sure that the thermostat is working and that it shuts off when it reaches her desired temp.. but it was running when I left...

Youtube has videos on troubleshooting just about anything. I've fallen on their usage in the past when something I was doing wrong escaped me.

Youtube has videos on troubleshooting just about anything. I've fallen on their usage in the past when something I was doing wrong escaped me.

they didn't help. They just showed the guys backing up and everything fitting... "boom"... Whatever I am doing wrong still eludes me. A simple three point hitch has defeated me for the moment.

they didn't help. They just showed the guys backing up and everything fitting... "boom"... Whatever I am doing wrong still eludes me. A simple three point hitch has defeated me for the moment.

You don't have the PTO shaft backwards, do you?

Truly. I felt useless, so.. on Sunday I put air conditioning into the wife's ceramic studio so I could be certain to get something done and my entire Memorial Day weekend would not be lost to useless. It worked amazingly well. I have to go back out to make sure that the thermostat is working and that it shuts off when it reaches her desired temp.. but it was running when I left...
Sorry about your knee, you’ll get it figured out. I bet the wife loves her AC and you for doing it.

Who you calling unedjumacated?

Oh, and to give y'all some closure. I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong, almost immediately after getting the quick hitch for the tractor. In order to put the pin for the top bar into the hole it goes into I had to kick the danged assembly forward with my boot. If I had known that it was possible (looked pretty solid to me) I would have been mowing two days before I got it done....

I used the quick hitch, so my wife can't make me bring it back. ;)

I'll need it for other three point hitch implements, it is sooo much easier to just back up and pick it up then attach the shaft... Holy moly!

What model of tractor and cutter are you using?

Land pride rotary cutter, and it's a Kubota. A sub compact (bx23s), it's for my front 7 acres.

I haven't gotten the big one for the 200 acre fields yet... I need to let it stand fallow for a bit first. I've been thinking of planting a cover crop though, some clover maybe to get clover honey from the bees. :D

Land pride rotary cutter, and it's a Kubota. A sub compact (bx23s), it's for my front 7 acres.

I haven't gotten the big one for the 200 acre fields yet... I need to let it stand fallow for a bit first. I've been thinking of planting a cover crop though, some clover maybe to get clover honey from the bees. :D

Don't see what the problem is. You have a PTO shaft hook up, and a second link above that to attach it to the tractor. Looks straight forward to me. I assume you don't have the back hoe attachment on it. The only thing I can think of right off that might be an issue is your towed mower array is incompatible with the tractor. The bx23s series is fitted to use an underdeck mower. It's possible the PTO isn't the right kind to make the connection.

I have a 1958 Ford tractor with a 5’ hog of a 1970’s vintage. Last week I serviced the brush hog, hooked it up and was finished my mowing inside of an hour. If it wasn’t so far from OK I coulda helped. I do have to install a new radiator on my tractor sometime this summer but it’s a good little tractor. Does all I need it to do.

I have a 1958 Ford tractor with a 5’ hog of a 1970’s vintage. Last week I serviced the brush hog, hooked it up and was finished my mowing inside of an hour. If it wasn’t so far from OK I coulda helped. I do have to install a new radiator on my tractor sometime this summer but it’s a good little tractor. Does all I need it to do.

I don't live so far from OK nowadays... Depending on where you are.

Don't see what the problem is. You have a PTO shaft hook up, and a second link above that to attach it to the tractor. Looks straight forward to me. I assume you don't have the back hoe attachment on it. The only thing I can think of right off that might be an issue is your towed mower array is incompatible with the tractor. The bx23s series is fitted to use an underdeck mower. It's possible the PTO isn't the right kind to make the connection.

Keep reading. I gave an update.

I've never owned a tractor, not do I even know what a "brush hog" is.
Must be something that we don't need in Boston.

Some of us have lawn mowers, but even then, it's best to contract that out to the landscapers.

When I was young and did have to mow the lawn myself,
I waited until the sun was straight over head,
lowered the blade as low as it would go,
and watched the grass turn brown the second it was cut.
That made it grow back a little slower unless it rained.
Then I was fucked anyway.

I've never owned a tractor, not do I even know what a "brush hog" is.
Must be something that we don't need in Boston.

Some of us have lawn mowers, but even then, it's best to contract that out to the landscapers.

When I was young and did have to mow the lawn myself,
I waited until the sun was straight over head,
lowered the blade as low as it would go,
and watched the grass turn brown the second it was cut.
That made it grow back a little slower unless it rained.
Then I was @#$&%#$ anyway.

Here’s something visual to help ya, Mr. Niblick. The brush hog is the implement hooked to the back of my tractor. My garden is in the background so I included a close up of it.

You didn't start at the bottom and work your way up. Either that or you didn't back up straight.

I can't feel smug.......left the farm for college before the three point hitch was invented.....probably would have done the same......

Here’s something visual to help ya, Mr. Niblick. The brush hog is the implement hooked to the back of my tractor. My garden is in the background so I included a close up of it.

I guess that I was right, Rev. There aren't any of those in the neighborhood!

I removed the backhoe. It is setting in the long barn awaiting its time to be useful.

The issue was the top link in the three point.hitch was not reaching the point it is supposed to attach. This was because it moves... and I didn't know it. I kicked it a bit with my boot to change where it was and boom... fixed.

But as I said I still used the quick hitch because I want it to attach other implements with less work.

I haven't gtten the big one for the 200 acre fields yet... I need to let it stand fallow for a bit first. I've been thinking of planting a cover crop though, some clover maybe to get oclover honey from the bees. :D

Have you ever considered Buffalo Grass? My late grandfather planted his front acreage with it, and that stuff is awesome. He used it as a lawn basically.

Here in Texas, it goes dormant in the winter, but rarely does in CA.

Last edited:
Back