I think I know where I'm retiring, and it isn't Florida...

In the context of the quote it actually seems obvious Jefferson had in view the creation of a lawful society. In other words it is a right and proper role for government to legislate in order to restrain physical and civil harm a man might cause another.

What am I missing here?

I believe you are missing nothing Athena. Well said.

None of us know for sure what our founding fathers would say if they came back. But they would not support anyone who would wield the Constitution and the Bill of Rights they authored as a weapon against the living, by using the words of the dead.

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482

Because you're retiring and won't be making money.

I guess you'd pay capital gains, if California has a capital gains tax.

dividends are ordinary income, I plan on having over $50,000 in dividend income. Waterstain, thanks for the help though in 30 years of accounting I'd have never guessed that.

So long as the government doesn't grow, I'm cool with that. As it stands, Andorra has fewer than 100 government employees.

Andorra is treated as a EU member, which means free trade with other EU members. Not sure about the USA, China, etc. I'm guessing the EU's external tariffs would apply.

Andorra is like a town. Of course it doesn't have many employees.

Obviously, restraining men from injuring one another is among the chief duties of government. If Libertarianism can be narrowed down to two concise principles, it is the following: 1) do all that you have agreed to do (the foundation of contract law), and 2) do not encroach upon others or their property. Accordingly, I'd have no objection to correcting the quote in my signature. I was simply unaware that it had been modified.

Why do you think it's your right to steal from me to get the money necessary to protect your property?

I believe you are missing nothing Athena. Well said.

None of us know for sure what our founding fathers would say if they came back. But they would not support anyone who would wield the Constitution and the Bill of Rights they authored as a weapon against the living, by using the words of the dead.

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482
I think they would be absolutely shocked, the same way Jesus would! I don't think would recognize themselves in what others have written about them! or the way their messages have been twisted.

For some reason there's basically no free trade treaty with the EU and no talks to introduce one at any point in the future. And it's pretty obvious that there's none with China. There's controversy enough about trade with China as it is.

Back