I think i might go on disability

What and leave a great paying job where you don't have anything to do but post on a message board? Disability doesn't pay all that well, you would have to give up all those vacations and weekend retreats!

What and leave a great paying job where you don't have anything to do but post on a message board? Disability doesn't pay all that well, you would have to give up all those vacations and weekend retreats!

if im on disability will i get insurance too?

Disability programs need to be heavlly modified. Some people see it as a meal ticket. Fat people should not get disability. Hell not having any money is a solution to their problems.

Disability programs need to be heavlly modified. Some people see it as a meal ticket. Fat people should not get disability. Hell not having any money is a solution to their problems.
Where is the evidence, other than isolated anecdotes, that there really are a significant number of people malingering on disability?

This REALLY pisses me off. Yes, I admit that it does so for personal reasons.

My wife is on disability and so is one of her sons. In both cases, though they are unrelated, it is entirely justified. She can barely walk, most days. Thanks to that muscle brained, lying, cynical, woman abusing, sack of shit actor squating in our governor's office, there's an anti-disability hysteria among many Californians. The upshot is that people legitimately on disability are being constantly harassed by suck-up bureaucrats trying to score points by kicking people off disability.

Q. How many doctors does it take to certify that someone is disabled (in California)?
A. An infinite number. They never, ever stop trying to push you out.

It's possible to build so much "fraud" (sic) protection into a system as to render it unusable. We're almost to that point now with disability.

My father was on disability. It certainly doesn't make for a luxurious life. (He had extreme osteo-arthritis BTW)...

Ornot you should move to Conn to get disability there all you have to do is tell them you need it. At least according to Dawg.

ornot I would rather your wife not collect any money from the taxpayer regardless if she has a disability or not. Forced charity is not the solution.

Ornot you are using your own personal experience as a basis for your own perception of the abuse of disability. I am doing the same. I know a few people who abuse the disability system.

The only people who should ever be able to collect disability are those who are either physically or mentally incapable of working. The number of people this applies to is a minority of those on the program.

Now that is not to say that your state has an overly restrictive program but New Jersey's is too lenient.

The only people who should ever be able to collect disability are those who are either physically or mentally incapable of working. The number of people this applies to is a minority of those on the program.

Bullshit. I'm willing to bet that's just self-serving fantasy. You want to believe that most people on disability are malingering.

Can you produce any real evidence to back up this wild claim? You are aware, I trust, that a doctor -- usually two or three -- has to certify that the recipient really is disabled?

I am not able to find data that either confirms or refutes my assertion.

However because I cannot support it with data I will retract my statement.

That said abuse and fraud must be prevented and disability payments should have strict controls.

The disability must be one that prevents the worker from any kind of work for any sustainable period of time.

The disability must not be the result of substance abuse, self inflicted injury, or injury sustained during the commission of a felony.

The disability should be confirmed by two doctors that are not affiliated in any way.

I am not able to find data that either confirms or refutes my assertion.

However because I cannot support it with data I will retract my statement.

That said abuse and fraud must be prevented and disability payments should have strict controls.

The disability must be one that prevents the worker from any kind of work for any sustainable period of time.

The disability must not be the result of substance abuse, self inflicted injury, or injury sustained during the commission of a felony.

The disability should be confirmed by two doctors that are not affiliated in any way.

Its pretty hard to get disability IHG. I would bet there are more safeguards, by far, against abuse, then in virutally any other form of government spending. Halliburton alone, has probably defrauded the government out of more money in Iraq, than has been acquired through fraud in the entire history of social security disability.

ornot I would rather your wife not collect any money from the taxpayer regardless if she has a disability or not. Forced charity is not the solution.

Its not "charity". Its insurance. You pay taxes into a public insurance program on every paycheck, through FICA deductions. Everyone who pays into an insurance program, is entitled to the benefits if and when needed.

Disability is not easy to get, usually takes at least about one year, if you are lucky. then you have to submit DR's statements perodically to keep recieving disability. Heck a guy I know has to recertify his disability every year or so and he only has one limb out of 4......

Its pretty hard to get disability IHG. I would bet there are more safeguards, by far, against abuse, then in virutally any other form of government spending. Halliburton alone, has probably defrauded the government out of more money in Iraq, than has been acquired through fraud in the entire history of social security disability.

I'm aware of that Cypress and if I had to choose any kind of fraud or abuse that bothers me that would be at the top of the list. However this thread is about disability and I am expressing my disdain for those who are taking advantage of the system.

I know three people who have received benefits who should not have qualified.

I'm aware of that Cypress and if I had to choose any kind of fraud or abuse that bothers me that would be at the top of the list. However this thread is about disability and I am expressing my disdain for those who are taking advantage of the system.

Yeah me too, but then it is an imperfect world. My friend with only a left arm, got a letter last year telling him he would be cut off unless he preoved he was still disabled...Yeah like he grew new limbs:ouch:

Fraud should be prosecuted.

Those individuals who are entitled, should get it. It's not "charity". They paid into a public insurance program, to get those benefits if they needed it.

Back