i want a debate against holyrollers

klaatu said:
So clearly .. marriage has morphed into different forms and meanings over the years. Why dont we just remove the word from the State and federal Books..and officially replace it with civil union so people of all walks of life can peacefully and legally partner up.
Let religion have marriage.
That would be rational but I submit that it is impractical, for two reasons.

For one, the heterosexual couples wanting civil marriages wouldn't stand for it. "Civil union" sounds contrived and just too, well, PC. I believe that ending civil marriage and replacing the phrase with civil union would be perceived, rightly or wrongly, as a slight to those who abjure religious ceremonial marriage. This is why many homosexual people now feel that it's unacceptable: they feel that they are being relegated to a second class status.

It's also impractical because many religious organizations do not want licensing restrictions lifted from marriage. If no marriage license is required than quite literally anyone could marry. Finding clergy willing to perform marriage rites for same sex couples is not at all difficult. I'm sure that with a little extra effort, you could find clergy willing to perform the rite for polygamous and polyandrous groups.

IHateGovernment said:
What did you ask Rob? what was your comment Tiana?

I was just trash talking CT's unknown $hithole vs Jersey's well known $hitholes.;)

Back