If money was no object....

1970 Ford Bronco

nygtqt.jpg

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-1970-Ford-Bronco-c3777

....what car would you like to own?
I don't even have to think about this one.
View attachment 6992

About 20 years ago I had a friend that had one and he let me drive it in exchange for my expertise at tuning the engine. It was badged as a 427, but I suspect that it was a 390, and I have owned two of that engine series. It was a "kit car", but a very good one, probably better than any original. The paint was done by an English gentleman, who I tried to get to do the bodywork on my TBird but he was too busy to give me a quote.

I could take one hell of an adventure in a new Rolls. Which car would attract more chics?

The Cobra. No doubt about it. For one thing, it's sexy as hell. It also cost much more than a Rolls. And chicks, as every guy knows, really dig money.:)

Wow at the prices on those things. My brother had an old Bronco but a las even the guy at the inspection station he bribed couldn't ignore that there was so little driver's side floor board left that he could Fred Flintstone his way home so he had to get rid of it.

Lol...sounds like a little truck I drove until the driver’s door literally fell off. I kept a layer of roofing tar paper under the mat and changed both the paper and mat out frequently because of the holes in the floorboard. If you didn’t you were going to get wet in the rain from the underside.

The Cobra. No doubt about it. For one thing, it's sexy as hell. It also cost much more than a Rolls. And chicks, as every guy knows, really dig money.:)

Chics like comfort. When I traded in my 08 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in '12 my wife complained for at least three years that it wasn't as quiet and didn't ride as plush. The fact that I get 22 mpg now vs 14 then doesn't register with her at all.

I've never driven a Rolls. I have a neighbor at my mountain home who inherited an '81 Corniche from his father, who bought it new. He had it garaged at his SC home, and I never saw the car. I ax'd him about it several times, that he should drive it up and show it off. It was low mileage, and according to him, immaculate. This is the type of guy who buys a brand new F150 fully loaded every year, and doesn't park it in garage because he doesn't want to mess up the custom epoxy floor.

I wasn't specific enough in my enthusiasm apparently, I never thought that he intended to sell it, and he sold it without telling me for $35k. I would have bought that in a heartbeat.

Lol...sounds like a little truck I drove until the driver’s door literally fell off. I kept a layer of roofing tar paper under the mat and changed both the paper and mat out frequently because of the holes in the floorboard. If you didn’t you were going to get wet in the rain from the underside.

In all fairness, I think the grafting inspector was more concerned that my brother was riding around with little kids in that thing than anything else. Otherwise, he probably would have passed it yet again. The ironic part to me was that the brand new truck he bought to replace it eventually had its driver's side floor rust through as well, but he was dead by then. His girlfriend who got it told me about it not long ago as that was why she took it off the road. Not sure what it was with him and floorboards. May be because he fished all the time and had wet shoes often. Not sure.

@darksoul:
"Chics like comfort. When I traded in my 08 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in '12 my wife complained for at least three years that it wasn't as quiet and didn't ride as plush."

Heads up for you, buddy. Not all women are pampered bitches. Just saying. :)

In all fairness, I think the grafting inspector was more concerned that my brother was riding around with little kids in that thing than anything else. Otherwise, he probably would have passed it yet again. The ironic part to me was that the brand new truck he bought to replace it eventually had its driver's side floor rust through as well, but he was dead by then. His girlfriend who got it told me about it not long ago as that was why she took it off the road. Not sure what it was with him and floorboards. May be because he fished all the time and had wet shoes often. Not sure.

Did he live on the coast? Got friends who are in the habit of running beaches and fishing the surf. They can’t keep bottoms in their trucks. I’ve done better over the years with mine. Floorboards staying in tact so far.

Back