If your son accidently (or purposely) killed someone, would you help him cover it up?

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Would you let your own flesh and blood go to jail over something he can't change? Or would you help him hide the evidence?

Real answers please.

Fun story, one time when I had a crazy lady report me to the police for supposedly tailgating her (which I wasn't)... my dad calls me and goes "the police want to talk to you... if you are innocent, i'll call them back, but if you are guilty... I wont call him back."

No I wouldn't. I'd be as supportive as possible, but he'd have to face up to what he did. If he caused someone's death, then not only has that person lost the rest of his/her life, but those close to the victim would suffer and find their lives forever changed. I'd help him to face the responsibility, and the consequences, of his actions.

If my son killed somebody in a way it would need to be covered up, he'd be pretty SOL. If it didn't need to be covered up, but may be difficult to prove that it was accidental or whatever I'd do what it took to hire the best of attorneys and investigators to prove just that. Hiding crap just makes things worse.

But if it came down to it and I couldn't afford the best of the best to find the right evidence to prove it needed to be covered. I'd help him cover it, if I could....

If my son killed somebody in a way it would need to be covered up, he'd be pretty SOL. If it didn't need to be covered up, but may be difficult to prove that it was accidental or whatever I'd do what it took to hire the best of attorneys and investigators to prove just that. Hiding crap just makes things worse.

But if it came down to it and I couldn't afford the best of the best to find the right evidence to prove it needed to be covered. I'd help him cover it, if I could....

and this is why you are head mod. well done sir.

Would you let your own flesh and blood go to jail over something he can't change? Or would you help him hide the evidence?

Real answers please.

Fun story, one time when I had a crazy lady report me to the police for supposedly tailgating her (which I wasn't)... my dad calls me and goes "the police want to talk to you... if you are innocent, i'll call them back, but if you are guilty... I wont call him back."

There wouldn't even be a question.

No I wouldn't. I'd be as supportive as possible, but he'd have to face up to what he did. If he caused someone's death, then not only has that person lost the rest of his/her life, but those close to the victim would suffer and find their lives forever changed. I'd help him to face the responsibility, and the consequences, of his actions.

Well they wouldn't be helped by him spending time in prison and being unable to function in society for the rest of his natural life. The biggest punishment for anyone with a conscience, anyway, would be having killed someone.

That said, trying to cover it up probably wouldn't work. I'd just do my normal tactic - be as honest and forthright as possible and hire very, very good legal help. Trying to cover it up would probably just convince the prosecutor to move it up from manslaughter to second degree murder, and we'd both serve it. Forensic scientists are smarter than you are.

Last edited:
Well they wouldn't be helped by him spending time in prison and being unable to function in society for the rest of his natural life. The biggest punishment for anyone with a conscience, anyway, would be having killed someone.

That said, trying to cover it up probably wouldn't work. I'd just do my normal tactic - be as honest and forthright as possible and hire very, very good legal help. Trying to cover it up would probably just convince the prosecutor to move it up from manslaughter to second degree murder, and we'd both serve it. Forensic scientists are smarter than you are.

Not as many murders as you think are investigated CSI-style.

watermark I am surprised. I thought you would be a pussy as usual and talk about truth and justice and shit

watermark I am surprised. I thought you would be a pussy as usual and talk about truth and justice and shit

I think my ethics usually depend on not harming other people.

If it was an accident and there's nothing that could be done about it, I just wouldn't see that point. What harm would it prevent? What good would it be doing do? To make him pay? It'd be a payment that no one receives.

I think my ethics usually depend on not harming other people.

If it was an accident and there's nothing that could be done about it, I just wouldn't see that point. What harm would it prevent? What good would it be doing do? To make him pay? It'd be a payment that no one receives.

If it was an accident, though, he probably won't be prosecuted. He'll still have to live with it for the rest of his life, and if he doesn't face up to it then he'll be tormented even more, wondering when and if it will catch up with him. You'd be surprised how understanding and supportive people can be when someone is genuinely remorseful.

If it was an accident, though, he probably won't be prosecuted. He'll still have to live with it for the rest of his life, and if he doesn't face up to it then he'll be tormented even more, wondering when and if it will catch up with him. You'd be surprised how understanding and supportive people can be when someone is genuinely remorseful.

Yeah. I think the best possible outcome would probably be had by fessing up.

Ditto here.

well said Thorn.

I suppose it depends on what you think the best possible outcome is. Going to jail for manslaughter is not going to make anyone feel any better.

LOL.

"I'm going to do the noble thing! I'm not going to cover this up and I'm going to fess up and be remorseful!"

20 years later, in prison...

"Holy fuck that was a bad idea...."

Back