I'm no lawyer , but...

Yes, but as I recall, the HSA only approach would leave one in dire straights in the event of a catastrophe before your balance was high enough.
Of course, that's why under Moosecare HSA was only one of several options.
If a person with only an HSA had a catastrophic illness the HSA funds would be used first and then there'd be an option to use a family member's HSA funds. After all that was dissipated the gubmint would kick in.
The key is, is that everybody pays into something that can be used. Those that choose the HSA option couldn't complain about paying more into a system than they would benefit. Also any HSA funds from the deceased would go to his heirs.
I think it's a good plan.

Last edited:
Of course, that's why under Moosecare HSA was only one of several options.
If a person with only an HSA had a catastrophic illness the HSA funds would be used first and then there'd be an option to use a family member's HSA funds. After all that was dissipated the gubmint would kick in.
The key is, is that everybody pays into something that can be used. Those that choose the HSA option couldn't complain about paying more into a system than they would benefit. Also any HSA funds from the deceased would go to his heirs.
I think it's a good plan.
Yes. I seem to remember that was why I felt that Moosecare didn't really cure much. I'm a fan of HSAs. I have had one since they became available. I don't remember the specifics, but what exactly would the govt. do when (not if) someone spends their HSA funds?

And how does that essentially get the govt. out of healthcare?

I don't remember the specifics, but what exactly would the govt. do when (not if) someone spends their HSA funds?
Whatever is needed, including preventive.
And how does that essentially get the govt. out of healthcare?
Good question and that was a misnomer on my part. The funds would be kicked in from the medical cost sharing pool held in escrow by a private agency. The funds are only collected by the govt.
As the pool of funds that is used from year to year changes, the amt. collected changes accordingly. Under Moosecare, hlth. care providers are required to provide a pre-treatment estimate with fees for individual procedures. That's what dentists are doing now. Why not with M.D.'s as well?
That way patients can shop and compare prices.

Whatever is needed, including preventive.
So once you spend your HSA down, you're on Medicaid, even if you make $100k/year?
Good question and that was a misnomer on my part. The funds would be kicked in from the medical cost sharing pool held in escrow by a private agency. The funds are only collected by the govt.
As the pool of funds that is used from year to year changes, the amt. collected changes accordingly. Under Moosecare, hlth. care providers are required to provide a pre-treatment estimate with fees for individual procedures. That's what dentists are doing now. Why not with M.D.'s as well?
That way patients can shop and compare prices.
You realize that there is a cost sharing plan in place under ACA, that the SC ruled is under Congressional mgmt.? What happens when you get a Congress that is hell bent on Moosecare failing?

Why do you think they de funded the risk corridors?

Good point. So a lawyer could argue that since Medicare and Medicaid are in place a tax payer funded universal health care should be a natural extension.
I could see a scenario where universal Medicaid pays for limited services.
I have asked that question several times, if single payer is deemed unconstitutional then how did Nixon get Medicare passed?

Sent from Lenovo K5 Note:
To piss off snowflakes, bottom feeders and racists

I love when they try to tie the Constitution to things that were never fathomable in the 18th century. Did the Founder believe we should fund NASA?
I doubt that they believed that the US would end up as the world's policeman either. It is high time that the Constitution was rewritten as it an archaic document in many respects.

That is irrelevant.

The federal gobblement is the largest payor of healthcare in our country and yet prices continually go up and options down like with all things the gobblement does.

Yet nimrods like you want them to control your life
Much of that is due to the cost of drugs, fantastic savings could be made by using generics and preventing Big Pharma from stuffing the public on drug prices.

It's not an easy discussion. How do you feel about repealing EMTALA? Do you think people would be more apt to carry insurance?

EMTALA should be repealed. It was nothing more than extortion by the government.

I don't care people carry insurance or not. That's their choice. However, if they require medical treatment for which they can't pay AND chose to buy insurance coverage, oh well. Tough shit.

Back