I'm thinking about signing up for the army as a combat medic

I don't know why. That's your business. That's not how my magic powers work.

I just know that you will end up not doing it for some reason.

Yeah I was joking. The US has been giving medics assault rifles and using them as basic footsoldiers since Vietnam.

I'm pretty bored and need money right now though. Also pretty suicidal. Wouldn't mind getting blown up, but I would mind shooting people, so it's a bad route to those ends.

Last edited:
I was thinking about it whenever Soc told me that conscientious objectors should just become medics. But the US has been giving medics assault rifles and using them as basic footsoldiers since Vietnam. They aren't noncombatants anymore in America so I have no desire to be one.

I'm pretty bored and need money right now though.

Soc was probably talking about the COs who served during the Vietnam War as hospital orderlies.

Medics carry weapons. If you are an MD you don't, because of your Hippocratic Oath. The same can be said for Chaplains. But a chaplains assistant is armed.

The point of the military is to kill people. To join that organization when you don't want to kill is like joining a church because you are bored on sunday mornings.

Last edited:
Soc was probably talking about the COs who served during the Vietnam War as hospital orderlies.

Medics carry weapons. If you are an MD you don, because of your Hippocratic Oath. The same can be said for Chaplains. But a chaplains assistant is armed.

The point of the military is to kill people. To join that organization when you don't want to kill is like joining a church because you are bored on sunday mornings.

What about Unitarian-Universalists?

My niece just joined the Army as a Combat Medic. She left for basic 8/6, as a matter of fact. That is what caught my attention with this thread, so I had to leave my comments. Her enlistment bonuses totaled up to around $100k when all is said and done. That's enough to make anybody who is eligible, at least take a serious look at it. Damn if I don't wish I was young again.

My niece just joined the Army as a Combat Medic. She left for basic 8/6, as a matter of fact. That is what caught my attention with this thread, so I had to leave my comments. Her enlistment bonuses totaled up to around $100k when all is said and done. That's enough to make anybody who is eligible, at least take a serious look at it. Damn if I don't wish I was young again.

Yeah, $100k sounds great. But I couldn't put up with the bullshit again. There is no way I could tolerate the games they play. I don't deal with authority as well as I did when I was young and joined the Navy. And I damn sure couldn't be interested in working an 80 hour week and having someone chew me out about the lack of shine on my shoes.

$100k sounds like a great thing. But my attitude isn't flexible enough, I'm not about to ignore idiots well enough, and I damn sure couldn't keep my mouth shut well enough. (even if the PT wouldn't kill me)

The combat medic is one way the military is circumventing the requirement that females be put in noncombat roles. Most of them are told they'll be working at hospitals, but wind up patrolling right along with regular foot soldiers.

Yeah I was joking. The US has been giving medics assault rifles and using them as basic footsoldiers since Vietnam.

I'm pretty bored and need money right now though. Also pretty suicidal. Wouldn't mind getting blown up, but I would mind shooting people, so it's a bad route to those ends.

Water, a lot of males your age have suicidal thoughts. I don't know if you are joking, but, if this is the case, go see a professional. This time in your life will pass.

You are older than 41?

WM, let me echo Darla's statement.

Your gender and age bracket put you at risk for suicidal tendencies.

Never hesitate to get help if you are seriously considering it.

I will give you hell in most conversations, but I want you around as a future target as well.

Back