I'm thinking about signing up for the army as a combat medic

The Army calls it "Basic Training". They are the only service that you can join at this time that late in life. It's a testament to the need for soldiers.

No, it is now 41, when you turn 42 you are then too old.

I'm 48 Damo, I am too old to enlist, and probably couldn't make it through basic, even IF I passed the physical. Also, like Solitary, I am not as receptive to authority as I once was. I did pretty good with the war contracting, made just over $120k in 6 months, but my niece will get all her training and education, plus a bunch of other benefits. It's not a bad career choice for young people. And contrary to Waterhead's thoughts, combat medics are not used as foot soldiers.

I'm 48 Damo, I am too old to enlist, and probably couldn't make it through basic, even IF I passed the physical. Also, like Solitary, I am not as receptive to authority as I once was. I did pretty good with the war contracting, made just over $120k in 6 months, but my niece will get all her training and education, plus a bunch of other benefits. It's not a bad career choice for young people. And contrary to Waterhead's thoughts, combat medics are not used as foot soldiers.
They are not allowed to carry weapons or to serve in combat modes.

If you want a medic that does that you need to look for a Navy Corpsman.... They go through Marine Boot.

I dunno, if I enlisted as a "roadside bomb defuser", I would almost be certain to die, I'd get a lot of money, and I wouldn't enter combat.

They don't really have "roadside bomb defusers" and if they did, it wouldn't matter, we don't know about them until they explode... that is why they are such a problem, not because we are short of defusers.

Technically, there is no "combat" in Afghanistan or Iraq at this time, and other than sporadic skirmishing, there hasn't been much combat fighting. The vast and overwhelming number of fatalities in Iraq, are from terrorist-style attacks, where no amount of combat training matters.

They are not allowed to carry weapons or to serve in combat modes.

If you want a medic that does that you need to look for a Navy Corpsman.... They go through Marine Boot.

In WWII and the Korean war combat medics were non-combatants who wore the red cross. Our medics no longer where the red cross, so they can carry offensive weapons and fight offensively without violating the Geneva convention, but likewise they may be fired at at will just like regular soldiers. Of course, our enemy in Iraq doesn't recognize the Geneva convention, so it's not necessarily a bad decision.

Technically they don't do as much offensive combat as normal soldiers, and they're never on the front lines, but they aren't the classic medic from WWII either.

Here's a picture of one of our female combat medics:

00002.jpg

Last edited:
Back