In two weekends...

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, shallots, bell peppers and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, squash, and zucchini, and saute until they're tender, another 5 minutes or so. Add the tomatoes. Season with salt, Creole seasoning and additional cayenne if desired. Add the bay leaf, then add the rice and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
If you're making this Creole-style, heat the tomato paste in a non-stick pan and stir, making sure it doesn't stick or burn, until the sugars in the paste begin to caramelize, and the paste begins to turn a deep mahogany color. Deglaze with some of the stock, stir and combine thoroughly, then add the tomato paste to the rest of the stock and stir until well-blended.

Add the vegetable stock/tomato mixture, stir and cover. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Do not stir the jambalaya while it's cooking. Remove from heat and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Add the green onions and mix thoroughly.

Garnish with some fresh long chives, and serve with a salad and good beer.

(This will make about 12 servings...)

Yeah, I ate the stuff most of my life too...

We are also doing a turducken. We'll see how these people like good cajun food, along with the standby...

I'm a pretty fair cook myself, but I've never messed with a Wellington.

-------However, a TURDUCKEN? I thought at first th atyou were talking about a small waddling turkey that cackKles But now you are bring tofu jnto the mix

What Gives?" I'm Confused.

1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups yellow onions, small dice
1 cup red onions, small dice
1 cup bell peppers, small dice
1 cup celery, small dice
2 cups eggplant, diced
1 cup yellow squash, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced shallots
3 cups chopped tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 bay leaves
4 cups long grain rice
1 cup tomato paste
8 cups vegetable stock
1 cup chopped green onions

Now that's agood one. I have a similar recipe----but wheres the mushrooms and water chetnuts (or sun-chokes)?

I'm a pretty fair cook myself, but I've never messed with a Wellington.

-------However, a TURDUCKEN? I thought at first th atyou were talking about a small waddling turkey that cackKles But now you are bring tofu jnto the mix

What Gives?" I'm Confused.
Turducken is not tofu, it is in fact three birds...

You don't know what a turducken is, do you?

It is a deboned chicken, stuffed into a deboned duck, stuffed into a deboned turkey, each layer with stuffing between it.

the meats compliment each other, the turkey isn't dry as the duck's juices are absorbed, the duck isn't overly greasy as it is absorbed by the turkey, the chicken and the duck mix well....

It is a very, very tasty dish. I wish I still ate meat... :D

I can almost feel my arteries clogging just from reading this.

Back