Incandescent, Compact Florescent, LED ...

Jack

Verified User
I need to change my Kitchen Sink Light. Not the Fixture, just the Bulb.

I know there has been controversy over 'Incandescents' and 'Government Control', but I have to tell you, I sure don't miss swapping out those Incandescents every (what seemed like) few months.

Any suggestions? :thinking:

I know there has been controversy over 'Incandescents' and 'Government Control', but I have to tell you, I sure don't miss swapping out those Incandescents every (what seemed like) few months.

I hate the stark brightness of LEDs but they make "soft" LEDs now that are much better. Lowes has a mind boggling number of choices. I see people roaming up and down that aisle all the time and they never seem sure if what to buy.

I hate the stark brightness of LEDs but they make "soft" LEDs now that are much better. Lowes has a mind boggling number of choices. I see people roaming up and down that aisle all the time and they never seem sure if what to buy.

Thanks. My understanding is that 'Incandescent' is the thing of the Past.
'Compact Fluorescents' were a intermediate step.
And the 'LED' (that lasts like 17 years) is the Future.

So, if it lasts 17 years, it better be what you want in 'brightness'.

"Lifetime: LEDs can have a relatively long useful life. One report estimates 35,000 to 50,000 hours of useful life, though time to complete failure may be shorter or longer.[141] Fluorescent tubes typically are rated at about 10,000 to 25,000 hours, depending partly on the conditions of use, and incandescent light bulbs at 1,000 to 2,000 hours. Several DOE demonstrations have shown that reduced maintenance costs from this extended lifetime, rather than energy savings, is the primary factor in determining the payback period for an LED product.[142]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Thanks. My understanding is that 'Incandescent' is the thing of the Past.
'Compact Fluorescents' were a intermediate step.
And the 'LED' (that lasts like 17 years) is the Future.

So, if it lasts 17 years, it better be what you want in 'brightness'.

"Lifetime: LEDs can have a relatively long useful life. One report estimates 35,000 to 50,000 hours of useful life, though time to complete failure may be shorter or longer.[141] Fluorescent tubes typically are rated at about 10,000 to 25,000 hours, depending partly on the conditions of use, and incandescent light bulbs at 1,000 to 2,000 hours. Several DOE demonstrations have shown that reduced maintenance costs from this extended lifetime, rather than energy savings, is the primary factor in determining the payback period for an LED product.[142]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

I'm not sure the claims of how long they last are accurate. I've spent money on LEDs and they lasted no where near that long. Besides do bulb makers really want bulbs lasting that long???? Maybe I'm just cynical.

Today it's LEDs, Compact Florescent have been phased out because they contain hazardous mercury, and Incandescents have been phased out because of inefficiency.

Go with LED. They last longer and you can even get ones that look like incandescent bulbs now. I got LEDs that look like old fashioned bulbs and I use it in my retro master bath.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Vin...ocphy=9028739&hvtargid=pla-355475192052&psc=1

So long as you are not using a dimmer switch buy an LED bulb. CFL's are crap compared to them and incandescents are hard to find these days.

Never, ever, use an LED or CFL--particularly CFL--with a dimmer switch! They will fail in short order and CFL's used with one, particularly Chinese made CFL's can potentially start a fire.

The GF just bought me a rechargeable LED flashlight. It lights up half the county!

My Lava Lamps are the only incandescent bulbs I have left, and for obvious reasons!

I went LED apeshit and replaced every fixture and/or incandescent light bulb with LED LIGHTING in the entire house.

Even my landscape lighting is all solar and led now!

I did this several years ago, and I don't remember having to even change a single LED bulb since.

Also, I prefer the WHITE LIGHT or Daylight color of light color choices and they all match.

The GF just bought me a rechargeable LED flashlight. It lights up half the county!

I have two of those. The recharger slot is a USB port. I still like and have two older D battery Maglite flashlights because they make great self-defense weapons.

maglite-4d-blue_large.jpg

One hit gives the recipient drain bramage for life!

I have two of those. The recharger slot is a USB port. I still like and have two older D battery Maglite flashlights because they make great self-defense weapons.

maglite-4d-blue_large.jpg

One hit gives the recipient drain bramage for life!

Yep. Mine has a USB port for charging too. Nice light, but it cost $40 bucks.

I have a nice Rosewood billy-club I keep in my car for dispensing drain bramage.

So long as you are not using a dimmer switch buy an LED bulb. CFL's are crap compared to them and incandescents are hard to find these days.

Never, ever, use an LED or CFL--particularly CFL--with a dimmer switch! They will fail in short order and CFL's used with one, particularly Chinese made CFL's can potentially start a fire.

I do NOT have any Dimmer Switches in my House, I thought about it once, but decided to forego the Dimmers. Thanks. I will go with the LED.

My Lava Lamps are the only incandescent bulbs I have left, and for obvious reasons!

I went LED apeshit and replaced every fixture and/or incandescent light bulb with LED LIGHTING in the entire house.

Even my landscape lighting is all solar and led now!

I did this several years ago, and I don't remember having to even change a single LED bulb since.

Also, I prefer the WHITE LIGHT or Daylight color of light color choices and they all match.

Wow. My incandescents fail, and I usually replaced them with CFLs. Now, on occasion, my CFLs fail. And I replace them with CFLs or maybe a LED. I LOVE not changing lightbulbs!
I'll keep that in mind ... 'White Light' or 'Day Light'. Having them 'all match' makes sense.

You can use a dimmer switch with LED and CFL lights.

You have to buy dimmable bulbs/fixtures.

Wow. My incandescents fail, and I usually replaced them with CFLs. Now, on occasion, my CFLs fail. And I replace them with CFLs or maybe a LED. I LOVE not changing lightbulbs!
I'll keep that in mind ... 'White Light' or 'Day Light'. Having them 'all match' makes sense.

That's what I did.

Been months since I changed a bulb, only have three CFL's left, they're hanging in there, so far.

I probably just jinxed them.

That's what I did.

Been months since I changed a bulb, only have three CFL's left, they're hanging in there, so far.

I probably just jinxed them.

There were people who were complaining about 'Government Interference' in the 'Incandescent Bulb Phase-Out'. I wonder if anyone is complaining NOW. (?)

"Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs
Governments around the world have passed measures to phase out incandescent light bulbs for general lighting in favor of more energy-efficient lighting alternatives. Phase-out regulations effectively ban the manufacture, importation, or sale of incandescent light bulbs for general lighting.Wikipedia"

There were people who were complaining about 'Government Interference' in the 'Incandescent Bulb Phase-Out'. I wonder if anyone is complaining NOW. (?)

They will, because..........................................OBAMA.

Way back in October 2007, candidate Barack Obama pledged to "immediately sign a law that begins to phase out all incandescent light bulbs."

Even though it was George who actually did it.

About two months later, President George W. Bush signed a bill to do that -- the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.

Back