Interesting story from my Saturday

leaningright

Moderate Republican
Staff member
Our school team was playing in the Area finals this weekend up by Tulsa and my family and I went to see them play Friday night. On the way home we stopped by Bass Pro and then before we headed out we went to Los Cabos to eat. I went to the door and there was a circle with a slash through it over a picture of a gun. Normally I would have just gone somewhere else to eat but the wife was really looking forward to eating there as it is our custom when we go to Tulsa. So I went back to the vehicle, stashed my firearm and went in and ate lunch. When I paid my bill I wrote a note on the back of the ticket. It was a nice note stating that the food was great and the service was great but that we'd likely not be back there again because of their sign on the door. My wife was driving home and before we got 15 miles down the road I received an email from the manager. He said that he was sorry and that the sign on the door was only for open carry (I did see one sign that explicitly stated 'no open carry' in the upper right part of the door) and that it was only there until some legislative clarification came about that cleared up whether it was legal to carry open where alcohol is served. We exchanged 3 or 4 emails and before my family and I got home he assured me that he had taken care of the ambiguous sign on the door. I had a buddy that lives up there to drive by and see and sure enough the ambiguous sign was taken down. I never gripe but I'm glad I did this time.

How depressing that anyone feels the need to wear a gun into a restaurant. I've never seen a sign like that on any restaurant and hope I never will.

No but the odds are low. I'm more worried about getting food poisoning than getting shot.

tumblr_mia1xfR2Xj1qap7hto1_1280.png

No but the odds are low. I'm more worried about getting food poisoning than getting shot.

tumblr_mia1xfR2Xj1qap7hto1_1280.png

Indeed they are. What are the odds of being raped though? I honestly don't know, but again, you're no less immune to that coming/going from a restaurant then anywhere else.

People like us just don't let irrational fear rule our daily lives.

People like me don't either. Well, maybe my fear of God could be viewed by some as irrational if they don't believe in Him or the Bible. But my gun is like my pocketknife. I put both on my pocket every day, except I cannot carry my gun to work so I have to wait until I get home. It is a tool that I have had to use from time to time, just like my pocketknife. While I'm on the subject (not directed at you, Zap), for you guys who don't carry a pocketknife, how do you do it. I reach for mine at least 5 or 6 times a day. If I happen to forget it I'm having to try to find scissors or something to substitute and it's a pain in the rear. But I digress, this is about carrying a gun. Just because I carry doesn't mean I have any kind of "fear," irrational or otherwise. I am carrying a tool in case I need it to do a job. Most of the time it never gets out of my pocket until bed time or until I go to the target range (in my case, my back yard). I carry other tools every day too. I have a Jack and a spare tire, but I don't have a "fear" of having a flat. I carry a jug of antifreeze, but I don't have a "fear" of my truck overheating. I carry a small first aid kit in my wallet (band aids, disinfectant swabs, antibiotic ointment) but I don't have a "fear" of injury. My point is, and I know there are those who will disagree and I know Grind or Billy (never know which is which) mentioned being "immune from an attack, that "fear" is not what motivates the majority of CCW people to carry a firearm.

Well, I like most of Hooters menu. I have yet to find anything at Wild Wings that I like a little bit.
Their new Sirracha wings are pretty good. How can anyone be a buffalo wing snob? I mean their chicken wings, deep fried and tossed in hot sauce. It's not rocket surgery! They all pretty much taste the same to me. LOL

People like me don't either. Well, maybe my fear of God could be viewed by some as irrational if they don't believe in Him or the Bible. But my gun is like my pocketknife. I put both on my pocket every day, except I cannot carry my gun to work so I have to wait until I get home. It is a tool that I have had to use from time to time, just like my pocketknife. While I'm on the subject (not directed at you, Zap), for you guys who don't carry a pocketknife, how do you do it. I reach for mine at least 5 or 6 times a day. If I happen to forget it I'm having to try to find scissors or something to substitute and it's a pain in the rear. But I digress, this is about carrying a gun. Just because I carry doesn't mean I have any kind of "fear," irrational or otherwise. I am carrying a tool in case I need it to do a job. Most of the time it never gets out of my pocket until bed time or until I go to the target range (in my case, my back yard). I carry other tools every day too. I have a Jack and a spare tire, but I don't have a "fear" of having a flat. I carry a jug of antifreeze, but I don't have a "fear" of my truck overheating. I carry a small first aid kit in my wallet (band aids, disinfectant swabs, antibiotic ointment) but I don't have a "fear" of injury. My point is, and I know there are those who will disagree and I know Grind or Billy (never know which is which) mentioned being "immune from an attack, that "fear" is not what motivates the majority of CCW people to carry a firearm.
Sorry dude....I still don't get it. It's always convenient to have the proper tools but I don't often have use for a knife, or a gun and have far more use for my socket wrenches and screw drivers and I can't remember the last time I felt a compulsion to take them to restaurant or church nor would I be the least bit offended if a restaurant manager asked me to keep my handy dandy pipe wrench out in my truck. I'm no gun control advocate, I've owned my share of them and at one point enjoyed hunting. Bagged my share of rabbits, squirrel, deer, tin cans, bottles, etc,. I just seriously don't relate to the gun fetish thing. Guns are, as you correctly pointed out, just a tool.

I also find the disconnect and niavette that many gun fetishist have with other parts of the country as rather odd. In my rural hometown (and you can't get more rural than Coldwater, Ohio) the county sheriff was bragging to locals how he wasn't going to enforce some new gun ordinance on assault weapons. I said to him "whoop de doo". When was the last time ya'll had a drive by shooting here by M13? I also asked him if he felt that it was ok for M13, The Crips, The Mongols, The Bloods and the Outlaws to be far better armed than law enforcement in Cleveland and Columbus where they actually have to deal with these kinds of criminal enterprises or was he just concerned about the Amish Mafia? Pissed the guy off. He could not give me a rational answer. Just told me to shut up so I repeated my question, "Do you think this is an issue in urban areas where criminal gangs are better armed than your colleagues in law enforcement and are killing both innocent people and your colleagues? He just walked away. He knew I had busted him playing politics for local consumption.

So, I like guns....huntings a great sport and when in need I like to be able to defend myself and if you live in a rural area they're great for getting rid of critters but I seriously don't get the gun fetish thing and I find the knee jerk disconnect many gun fetishist have as being really, really weird.

Apparently it's close to 20% for women, less for men. Says the CDC.

Nearly 1 in 5 (18.3%) women and 1 in 71 men (1.4%) reported experiencing rape at some time in their lives.

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/SV-DataSheet-a.pdf

According to USA Today reporter Kevin Johnson "no other major category of crime – not murder, assault or robbery – has generated a more serious challenge of the credibility of national crime statistics" than rape.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Back