Interesting Subject (Troll Free)

cancel2 2022

Canceled
I stayed in Loei last month, which has the reputation for being the hottest (40'C) and the coldest (0'C) province in Thailand. It is well known to Thais but not so much for foreigners. It is truly a beautiful place with many mountains and rivers including the mighty Mekong. Another plus point is that it is mercifully free from obnoxious Septics, although I did meet a couple of decent Americans in Chiang Khan, who were excellent drinking partners and just stopping off whilst backpacking around S.E. Asia. They were going to get the bus but we offered to give them a lift in the car to Udon Thani airport to catch a plane back to Don Muang airport in Bangkok.

Last edited:
I really don't have much to add other than I have a friend who's been staying over there. He wouldn't be a good drinking partner though as he doesn't hold up well under the influence. He's just now back state side.

I stayed in Loei last month, which has the reputation for being the hottest(40'C) and the coldest (0'C) province in Thailand. It is well known to Thais but not so much for foreigners. It is truly a beautiful place with many mountains and rivers including the mighty Mekong. Another plus point is that it is mercifully free from obnoxious Septics, although I did meet a couple of decent Americans in Chiang Khan, who were excellent drinking partners and just stopping off whilst backpacking around S.E. Asia. They were going to get the bus but we offered to give them a lift in the car to Udon Thani airport to catch a plane to Don Muang in Bangkok.

I have a friend who is from Czech and last year he had a friend of his stop by.
He had hitchhiked from Canada to AZ and was planning to hitchhike from AZ to Cancun.

We convinced him to at least take a bus from the AZ border to a little bit deeper into Mexico.

No one heard from him, for a few months; but he finally called my friend to let him know he was in Cancun and was going to spend some time there, before flying back to Czech.

He as a pretty nice guy, a little naïve; but still a nice guy.

Is driving around Thailand like the Philippines where motorbike traffic reduces auto traffic to 40 kph?

No not really, outside of Bangkok the roads are remarkably good for the most part. Even in Bangkok there are many elevated expressways which are ugly but bloody essential to get around. Public transport in Bangkok is getting near Western standards, by 2030 this is the plan for both skytrains and underground railways.

Transit-Map.jpeg

Is driving around Thailand like the Philippines where motorbike traffic reduces auto traffic to 40 kph?

Saigon is a bloody nightmare, it reminds me how Bangkok was in the 80s. It seems at times that the entire yearly motorbike production from Japan is on the streets at the same time. Finally they are building a Metro and a new airport!

Last edited:
Saigon is a bloody nightmare, it reminds how Bangkok was in the 80s. It seems at times that the entire yearly motorbike production from Japan is on the streets at the same time. Finally they are building a Metro and a new airport!

Are there many of the bigger bikes or Harleys over there?

I have a far removed acquaintance that told me that he once sold motorbikes, and he said the biggest hog was between his legs.

He is gross. Never got dates.

Yes a true classic but it suffered from a lot of problems I believe.

I never had any.
I loved the shift on the right and the brake on the right; because if some idiot tried to steal it, he probably won't have had a clue what to do.

I had put a Harley coil on it and the plugs were firing once on compression and again on exhaust.
Had a head casket replaced once and the guy said the inside of the jugs and the tops of the pistons, were the cleanest he had ever seen on a bike that was running and being used.

I'm building a workshop this summer/fall and I'm going to tear it down and rebuild anything that needs work, plus finish changing the positive ground to negative ground change over.

I never had any.
I loved the shift on the right and the brake on the right; because if some idiot tried to steal it, he probably won't have had a clue what to do.

I had put a Harley coil on it and the plugs were firing once on compression and again on exhaust.
Had a head casket replaced once and the guy said the inside of the jugs and the tops of the pistons, were the cleanest he had ever seen on a bike that was running and being used.

I'm building a workshop this summer/fall and I'm going to tear it down and rebuild anything that needs work, plus finish changing the positive ground to negative ground change over.

Is it 6 volt or 12 volt electrics?

Saigon is a bloody nightmare, it reminds me how Bangkok was in the 80s. It seems at times that the entire yearly motorbike production from Japan is on the streets at the same time. Finally they are building a Metro and a new airport!
Best way to get around in the Phils is on an aircon tour bus or a road bicycle. Traffic is slow enough that drafting is a breeze.

Are there many of the bigger bikes or Harleys over there?
The vast majority are small 50 to 100 cc bikes. It's actually a lot of fun to tour around the country side in Nam or the Phils. A big bike, like a car, would be mostly a waste cause you can only do about 25 mph on average cause all the little bikes obey no traffic laws and are constantly in your way.

Back