IOC 'Investigating' Canadian Women Hockey Players

As a true fan, I find that humanistic soap opera crap really tiresome. I also don't want to see fans mugging for the camera or hear announcers drone on about the drivers' personal lives, or have the drivers suddenly have to act like "stars" and participate in all these contrived vignettes.

Last week a spectator was killed when the tire and wheel sheared off a top fuel dragster and catapulted into the stands. That was horrible, the driver was unhurt but emotionally devastated, and though some "fans" seem to flock to such incidents, I certainly am not one of them. Since ESPN has taken ove broadcasting NHRA events I'm tempted to not watch them at all. We've started recording them so we can skip over all the crap.

I don't care about athletes' personal lives. I want to see skillful performances and teamwork and respect for the players on both sides. I love hockey but am bored by the gratuitous fighting. I love baseball, but am far less impressed by home runs than by excellent defensive fielding. I wish Danica Patrick would stick to driving or get off the screen. We as the general public seem to be more entranced by contrived melodrama than by excellence, and it disgusts me.

That is all.
Yea I know what you mean about both. I was at the 1987 Indy 500 when Al Unser Sr won his 4th Indy. A guy in our stands from Wisconsin was killed when Roberto Gueraro bumped into Tony Bentenhausen and booted his drivers side front wheel over my head and into our stand.

I also get tired of the Historincs too. That's why I can't stand Bob Costas. I used to love watching the Ironman Triathlon World Championship. Now it's 90 minutes of coverage about some gal from Wichita Falls with dropsy going the distance for her sister with terminal case of analocculosis or some other human interest story, it's not about the competition anymore.

But when it comes to Hockey...I don't really see the fighting as gratuitous. I mean maybe it's the male perspective but if someone slams me into a wall at 20 mph or face plants me into rock hard ice or hits me with a stick. I'm decking the asshole and I'm not going to spend much time thinking about it either. I'm just gonna swing! LOL

One of the things I liked abut this years Olympic Hockey tournament was that they let them play the North American physical style and less the European speed game. That probably had to do with them playing in an NHL rink but it was enjoyable to see the boys turned lose to play the game our way.

Last edited:
Back