IPhone outsells smartphones in U.S. in July-iSuppli
Tue Sep 4, 2007 9:46AM EDT
Email * Print * Digg * Reprints * Single Page * Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]
Market News
Wall St. opens flat before factory data
Oil eases below $74, hurricane threat fades * Video
Home Depot to buy nearly 290 mln shrs at $37 each
More Business & Investing News... Featured Broker sponsored link
Power. Price. Service. No Compromises.FRANKFURT, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Apple Inc's (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) iPhone outsold all smartphones in the United States in July, its first full month on sale, accounting for 1.8 percent of all U.S. mobile handset sales, research group iSuppli said on Tuesday.

ISuppli reiterated its forecast that Apple would sell 4.5 million iPhones this year, rising to more than 30 million in 2011.

The two models of the iPhone on the market sold more than Research in Motion's (RIM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) Blackberry series, the entire Palm (PALM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) portfolio and any individual smartphone model from Motorola (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research) or Samsung (005930.KS: Quote, Profile, Research).

Sales equalled those of LG Electronics' (066570.KS: Quote, Profile, Research) Chocolate, the most popular feature phone on the U.S. market, iSuppli said.

ISuppli classifies the iPhone as a crossover phone that competes with both smartphones, which have personal computer-like functions such as e-mail, and feature phones, which have extras such as cameras and music players.

"While iSuppli has not collected historical information on this topic, it's likely that the speed of the iPhone's rise to competitive dominance in its segment is unprecedented in the history of the mobile-handset market," iSuppli said.

"Apple achieved this in the face of numerous, well-entrenched competitors."

Most buyers of iPhones in the United States in July were male, under 35 and had a college degree, iSuppli said.

A quarter of those who bought an iPhone switched to operator AT&T (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research), which has an exclusive service agreement for the iPhone in the United States.

The iPhone will go on sale in Europe later this year.

ISuppli gathered its data through a consumer survey of 2 million participants in the United States that it carries out online once a month.

:clink:

Well meh to the Iphone. I'm not switching to At&t for the service. They hurt themselves a little there.

I hear they might be announcing the 6th generation IPODs today. I'll definitely get one of those.

Last edited:
Well meh to the Iphone. I'm not switching to At&t for the service. They hurt themselves a little there.

I hear they might be announcing the 5th generation IPODs today. I'll definitely get one of those.
Excellent. And BTW my APPL stock has risen since the advent of the iPhone.

I'm happy with that.

Excellent. And BTW my APPL stock has risen since the advent of the iPhone.

I'm happy with that.

Yeah I have Apple stock and its up I just think they could have done even better if they didn't make the iphone exclusive to a crappy network.

- Multiple sources claim Apple will announce availability of The Beatles' entire album catalog
- DigiTimes report claims Apple will unveil widescreen iPod with high capacity storage and wifi.
- AppleInsider claims that Target is prepping for a major product launch that will coincide with Apple's September 5th event. Possibly a Target-exclusive Project (RED) iPod in the works?
- VNUNet [who?] claims new iPods will feature streaming Internet radio and possibly wireless iTunes purchasing but I (and others) seriously doubt it.
- The juiciest news as of late, ThinkSecret confirms new widescreen iPod with touchscreen, 120GB and new iPod nano with video, possibly with CoverFlow.

Yeah I have Apple stock and its up I just think they could have done even better if they didn't make the iphone exclusive to a crappy network.
I fully agree.

However, they offset the cost of development with the exclusivity contract. It cost nearly as much as a brand new computer to develop that thing and they are getting less than half what they would for a new desktop.

Individual companies perhaps, but collectively do they undersell iPods ?
If you go to WalMart and look at the shelves, see how much is devoted to the iPod and then to other MP3 players. Who gets top billing? There is no specific contract that makes them give them such top billing, it is because it is what people buy.

- Multiple sources claim Apple will announce availability of The Beatles' entire album catalog
- DigiTimes report claims Apple will unveil widescreen iPod with high capacity storage and wifi.
- AppleInsider claims that Target is prepping for a major product launch that will coincide with Apple's September 5th event. Possibly a Target-exclusive Project (RED) iPod in the works?
- VNUNet [who?] claims new iPods will feature streaming Internet radio and possibly wireless iTunes purchasing but I (and others) seriously doubt it.
- The juiciest news as of late, ThinkSecret confirms new widescreen iPod with touchscreen, 120GB and new iPod nano with video, possibly with CoverFlow.

OH! Wow. They just got Lennon you know. I downloaded The Essential Lennon a couple of weeks ago.

I need a new ipod, I am going to check this out.

Back