is it smart to be an atheist?

there are many things one can IMAGINE are true.

I prefer to stick with believing in things you can prove are true

Today I want to imagine purple unicorns run a bar on the other side of hell that serves great bar food and has heavenly beer.

I have no proof for it so it must be true because you cant prove its imaginary

I think it's pretty stupid to be an atheist. I mean, I get that there is no evidence supporting the existence of a divine being and all, but the downside if you're wrong is pretty steep. Eternal punishment is a pretty harsh consequence if you got it wrong. Sure, enjoying your corporeal existence has it's perks, but I doubt it's worth it in the infinite run.

nice troll post dung.

what about imagining there is a "god" and that heshe god is looking for people smart enough to know there it no proof of heshes existence.

ONLY those who realize heshe purposely removed all proof to test to see which people are worthy of being moved on to "heaven" ?

gee I have every bit as much proof that that is what happens.

I don't have any issue whatsoever with people not believing in anything.

But to say or imply those people are "smarter"? I've known some brilliant atheists, and some brilliant believers. I don't think there is any correlation as far as intelligence goes.

then don't believe the study.

The study provides more evidence than you did

There is no causality in the study, and it isn't very scientific overall.

It's just kind of arrogant & judgmental to think you're smarter because you don't believe in anything. Most of the great minds throughout history have believed in some sort of god.

then don't believe the study.

The study provides more evidence than you did

It wasn't a study, do you read what you post?

It was simply people taking data from other studies and playing with it. In order to do a scientific study you need a control, there was no control because no study they used was designed to answer what they extrapolated from the data.

Let me put it in a way you would understand. This would be like somebody taking tons of weather statistics, then massaging the data to make it seem like climate change happens regardless of human activity even though there is no control. They may be right, but the data doesn't support what becomes a "guess". Without a control and repeatable results, all you have is some statistics used to support an idea that they already want to get.

My personal belief.... no data to back it up...

Is that people who believe in Black and White and a lack of grey are not as intelligent as those who understand that there are VERY few absolutes in this world.

To put that in another way, Fundamentalists are not as smart as non-fundamentalists.

It's a meta-analysis, isn't it? I don't really see what there is to gain by poo-pooing it as just dicking around with data.

How is it smarter to think that order can occur from chaos than it is to think that where there is order that there is most likely an order maker?

My personal belief.... no data to back it up...

Is that people who believe in Black and White and a lack of grey are not as intelligent as those who understand that there are VERY few absolutes in this world.

To put that in another way, Fundamentalists are not as smart as non-fundamentalists.

Imagine how God knew their would be people who would try and deny him based on intelligence!

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”[a]

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
Glory Only in the Lord

26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”[c]

Back