Is it time to end tipping in America?

Waitresses who tend to make $700 on six hours work claiming to be poor unfortunates is just a little too much.

No. I tip to get better service than the next guy does. I want what I want and I want it now and I am willing to pay for it. In fact,....in a way I actually DO hope others quit tipping. Then I will receive even better service! :laugh:

I always tip because you get better service.

When I worked in hospitality I always gave the best tippers better service and would often go out of my way to ensure everything was perfect for them.

Better tippers got a little more alcohol in their drink or a salad with the freshest ingredients.

You get what you pay for

Restaurants should just include the waiter's cut in the bill.

Just like airlines restaurants dont want to be upfront and transparent about the total cost, because they believe that too many people if told the truth would decide that they dont need restaurants. Seems like if this is so the sciency folks would be able to demonstrate that this belief conforms to human behaviour, but I have seen no such evidence.

When I worked in hospitality I always gave the best tippers better service and would often go out of my way to ensure everything was perfect for them.

Better tippers got a little more alcohol in their drink or a salad with the freshest ingredients.

You get what you pay for

OK, but the standard tip was 15%, then 20%, and now I am pretty sure it is higher. When I go to the barbershop for my $55 haircut and pay with a card they give me a screen for tips, the lowest is 20%, it runs upto 45%, and while yes I can manually put in what ever dollar number I want this tells me that the shop considers 20% to be the lowest acceptable. Not that barbershops are like restaurants but I barely go to restaurants anymore, so I cant speak to what they do.

OK, but the standard tip was 15%, then 20%, and now I am pretty sure it is higher. When I go to the barbershop for my $55 haircut and pay with a card they give me a screen for tips, the lowest is 20%, it runs upto 45%, and while yes I can manually put in what ever dollar number I want this tells me that the shop considers 20% to be the lowest acceptable. Not that barbershops are like restaurants but I barely go to restaurants anymore, so I cant speak to what they do.

Not necessarily.

They may just set it at 20% since most people will just tip with the first option so it makes their employees more money, it doesn't mean they think that's the standard.

A recurring theme on Twitter is people objecting to tip jars showing up in more places, with increased visibility and more intense pleading.

You get what you pay for

Yes, but you Topless Table Dancers have always been a Ripoff! Tip or no Tip! :palm:

Waitresses who tend to make $700 on six hours work claiming to be poor unfortunates is just a little too much.

Servers have a minimum wage of $2.13. My step-daughter had to go in early to help prepare the buffet before customers arrived and made no tips for that.

Some do make good money but many don't. Some places require tips be shared with kitchen staff and busboys.

You get what you pay for

More alcohol in their drinks may have helped with the tips.

What if you don't know whether someone is a good tipper? Do they get the fresh salad or the wilted stuff?

More alcohol in their drinks may have helped with the tips.

What if you don't know whether someone is a good tipper? Do they get the fresh salad or the wilted stuff?

A good server or bartender builds up clientele and eventually you are serving mostly regulars that you have worked because you noticed they are good tippers.

Profiling also plays a major part in how much you engage with customers.

Blacks generally don’t tip well and neither do Russians. The elderly are usually bad tippers while a younger couple are usually a safe bet.

Men by themselves usually tip fairly well and large parties are almost always money makers.

I would often tip the hosts very well then wait at the host stand and simply seat the people in my section that I thought were more likely to leave a good tip.

Made lots of money doing that

Tipping is just the cost of leaving your home.

Wait staff, bell staff, doormen, cab drivers, barbers and hairdressers, bootblacks, and all sorts of people count on our tips--
--in some nice places, even the person who hands you a towel in the restroom--
because they're paid like shit.

What can we do? It's a fucked up world.

Tipping is just the cost of leaving your home.

Wait staff, bell staff, doormen, cab drivers, barbers and hairdressers, bootblacks, and all sorts of people count on our tips--
--in some nice places, even the person who hands you a towel in the restroom--
because they're paid like shit.

What can we do? It's a fucked up world.

You could not leave your house

Back