Is this the cleverest bike drivetrain ever?

Kind of bizarre to have an open shaft driven bike? I think most shaft driven bikes use gear hubs.

Anyway, these are complicated, difficult to fix or get serviced, and heavier than chain drives. No thanks. Pretty cool to look at though.
It would have to be either bomb proof reliable or super simple to fix.

I’ve seen a number of different drive trains evolve over the years because the chain/mech combo is so simple and easy to fix if it breaks out in the middle of no where. Most road bikes have light weight chains that do break occasionally. I carry extra links and a chain tool in my tool bag and can repair a broken chain in a couple of minutes. Never, ever had a mech break other than the cable connection to the shifters loosening which is also an easy fix.

It would have to be either bomb proof reliable or super simple to fix.

I’ve seen a number of different drive trains evolve over the years because the chain/mech combo is so simple and easy to fix if it breaks out in the middle of no where. Most road bikes have light weight chains that do break occasionally. I carry extra links and a chain tool in my tool bag and can repair a broken chain in a couple of minutes. Never, ever had a mech break other than the cable connection to the shifters loosening which is also an easy fix.

You can carry a spare driveshaft, it only takes minutes to change. The bearings use ultra tough silicon nitride ball bearings which are coated to reduce friction even further. These guys know their shit Mott, at least keep an open mind.

Last edited:
You can carry a spare driveshaft, it only takes minutes to change. The bearings use ultra tough silicon nitride ball bearings which are coated to reduce friction even further. These guys know their shit Mott, at least keep an open mind.

Oh I do. I'm not shorting the idea. It's very innovative. Old habits are hard to break from my years of working in product development. I'm just being objective. The benefits are obvious. Less weight and less energy lost in changing gears. Still, you have to know your market and sweat the details. If the concept is valid from an engineering standpoint, particularly where reliability and safety are concerned, it should hit the pro racing circuit where it can really be tested at the proof of concept phase.

I would definitely like to ride one and see how efficient shifting gears is. Particularly when sprinting, climbing or descending.

Oh I do. I'm not shorting the idea. It's very innovative. Old habits are hard to break from my years of working in product development. I'm just being objective. The benefits are obvious. Less weight and less energy lost in changing gears. Still, you have to know your market and sweat the details. If the concept is valid from an engineering standpoint, particularly where reliability and safety are concerned, it should hit the pro racing circuit where it can really be tested at the proof of concept phase.

I would definitely like to ride one and see how efficient shifting gears is. Particularly when sprinting, climbing or descending.

It's still in development and won't be cheap, to start with anyway. The Danes are the top guys when it comes to innovative technologies, so watch this space.

It's still in development and won't be cheap, to start with anyway. The Danes are the top guys when it comes to innovative technologies, so watch this space.
In cycling the Japanese have dominated drive train development followed by the Italians with the US becoming a player over the last dozen years or so. I can see this being developed on track bikes. This could be a game changer in track racing and time trialing. No more single gears where you can blow a knee out pushing a big gear to accelerate quickly and no more calculating what’s the best gear to be in. The Watts you’re cranking will determine what gear you’re in.

In cycling the Japanese have dominated drive train development followed by the Italians with the US becoming a player over the last dozen years or so. I can see this being developed on track bikes. This could be a game changer in track racing and time trialing. No more single gears where you can blow a knee out pushing a big gear to accelerate quickly and no more calculating what’s the best gear to be in. The Watts you’re cranking will determine what gear you’re in.

The Danes are the new kids on the block, get used to it!

The Danes are the new kids on the block, get used to it!
Id prefer they stick to producing 6’ redheads. ;)

gorgeous+redhead+in+pink.jpg

Back