Islam v Christianity

I just got a book in the mail yesterday that I am reading, "Women and Fundamentalism, Islam and Christianity"

I am still in the process of reading, "Women Without Superstition, No Gods-No Masters"

Thank goodness for atheist women, they are the ones who fought so hard for women's rights. They were burned as witches, imprisoned and shunned by their fellow women, but they endured nd as a result women now have rights.

Most of the early feminists were devoutly Christian. Catherine Booth, Katharine Bushnell, and Susan B Anthony (for most of her life) were all Christian feminists. There are many more. I'm not sure how many atheist feminists were around in the 19th century, but I doubt there were many. I believe most of the atheist feminists came onto the scene in the second wave during the 1960s - delightful souls such as Gloria Steinem and Molly Yard.

Last edited:
Just because Poet declares himself a Christian, does not mean he is.

If Poet is a Christian, he isn't a very good one. He shows absolutely no mercy, grace, or forgiveness. I'm not saying I'm perfect by any definition, but Poet is a remarkably cruel, bigoted person.

But that's okay, because only conservatives are expected to actually uphold those principles.

And before Poet's fellow liberals groan this post, let it be known that I tried very hard to get along with Poet. All I asked for is the same respect that I showed him (i.e. the golden rule), but apparently that was just too much to ask for. He is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Last edited:
when-someone-talks-shit-about-your-best-friend.gif

I thought the bitch mode was activated when you started this thread.......

But it's still 'smoked' isn't it? We really miss what we used to call 'green middle cut' here. We can only get yank stuff usually which is only palatable at barbies when everything is burned and swilled down with beer..

I doubt if it's a real smoking process, more likely to be more chemicals.

I doubt if it's a real smoking process, more likely to be more chemicals.
No, US bacon is pretty much a standard brined then wood smoked. The process has been industrialized to be sure. From a process stand point it's one that's been used for generations. I've seen the process when I toured an Oscar Meyer plant in Iowa.

The pork belly is soaked in a brine, then placed in a smoker and smoked with hard wood. They use a large industrial oven to smoke the pork bellies but smoke it they do.

I ussually don't buy packaged bacon cause it has to much nitrates in it. I ussually buy the better quality bacon at the deli. I'm fond of apple smoked pepper bacon. That isn't brined though so it does not have the shelf life of packaged bacon.

No, US bacon is pretty much a standard brined then wood smoked. The process has been industrialized to be sure. From a process stand point it's one that's been used for generations. I've seen the process when I toured an Oscar Meyer plant in Iowa.

The pork belly is soaked in a brine, then placed in a smoker and smoked with hard wood. They use a large industrial oven to smoke the pork bellies but smoke it they do.

I ussually don't buy packaged bacon cause it has to much nitrates in it. I ussually buy the better quality bacon at the deli. I'm fond of apple smoked pepper bacon. That isn't brined though so it does not have the shelf life of packaged bacon.

I will have to send you the packaged variety as the fresh stuff won't survive the journey.

Back