Jade's daily trivia. Subject: Cars. Difficulty: Easy.

You're the 'Car Guy', I just tossed out a guess. (I did own a 1954 Dodge Panel Truck with a flat 6 that took me to Washington, DC in 1976 though)

I'll admit, it's a difficult question, especially for those who've never had an argument with the "Mopar boys."
I'm a die-hard Ford man, but Ford didn't have anything to do with the design either, it wasn't American.

I'll admit, it's a difficult question, especially for those who've never had an argument with the "Mopar boys."
I'm a die-hard Ford man, but Ford didn't have anything to do with the design either, it wasn't American.

Well, it's Jade's thread. Give him a chance at it.

interesting subject. The hemi head engine was one of the first internal combustion engine designs but I couldn’t find who developed it only that it was developed shortly after the proof of concept of internal combustion engines. The Belgian Pipe was the first to use it in production in 1905.

Wow, that was stupid.

:smh:

Dodge did use the 426 HEMI in the Challenger. Granted, there were improvements to the original design, Chrysler's was a good one. But the first use of the hemispherical design head in an automobile was in 1905.

It was too easy.
Maybe someone here can tell us where and who invented the Hemispherical head? (It wasn't Chrysler)
Better yet, what was it's first use in the U.S.?

I don't know the answer to this without resorting to The Google, but my guess is that it was very early on in the history of the automobile, 1890-1910 or so. My reasoning is that most of the technology in use today was developed during that 20 year period. This was a time before mass production, and craftsman were thinking up all different ways to make the best and most powerful engines in a compact package.

interesting subject. The hemi head engine was one of the first internal combustion engine designs but I couldn’t find who developed it only that it was developed shortly after the proof of concept of internal combustion engines. The Belgian Pipe was the first to use it in production in 1905.

According to wikipedia:

Curtis Boat & Woodworking Co. 1901 Hemi engine by Truscott Launch and Engine Company, St Joeseph, MI. Designed by Hemi inventor, Allie Ray Welch, Chelsea Manufacturing Company, Chelsea, MI.. CurtisBoat.com. 2009-09-25. URL:http://www.curtisboat.com/hemi_prototype.html. Accessed: 2009-09-25. (Archived by WebCite at https://www.webcitation.org/5k4B8p3aw)

According to wikipedia:

Curtis Boat & Woodworking Co. 1901 Hemi engine by Truscott Launch and Engine Company, St Joeseph, MI. Designed by Hemi inventor, Allie Ray Welch, Chelsea Manufacturing Company, Chelsea, MI.. CurtisBoat.com. 2009-09-25. URL:http://www.curtisboat.com/hemi_prototype.html. Accessed: 2009-09-25. (Archived by WebCite at https://www.webcitation.org/5k4B8p3aw)

Pipe was the answer I was looking for. That's when it was first used in an automobile. There has been a horspower war ever since, the hemispherical head was/is an important part of it.

Pipe was the answer I was looking for. That's when it was first used in an automobile. There has been a horspower war ever since, the hemispherical head was/is an important part of it.

But you said "invented". Moving the goal posts....

;)

But you said "invented". Moving the goal posts....

;)

Yes, you are correct. Years ago, this came up on a discussion on an automotive forum I frequented. The replies revolved around the auto industry until Pipe was found to be the first. No one really looked much deeper and neither did I. I stand corrected on who invented it.

Yes, you are correct. Years ago, this came up on a discussion on an automotive forum I frequented. The replies revolved around the auto industry until Pipe was found to be the first. No one really looked much deeper and neither did I. I stand corrected on who invented it.

It was invented by Bob Hemi,in East Toledo in 1904.

I like conversations like this. Sometimes even those that bicker can find common ground. Oh how politics has divided us. It was bad before, but lately it's more squalid. There's a saying that all is fair in love, and war. I think Politics might be turning out that way for many.

I like conversations like this. Sometimes even those that bicker can find common ground. Oh how politics has divided us. It was bad before, but lately it's more squalid. There's a saying that all is fair in love, and war. I think Politics might be turning out that way for many.

Top and Grumpy are complaining they are banned.

Back