Jade's Summer Vacation.

Yellowstone is an amazing example of geology and our planet's life activity. Went there when I was a teenager. Yep, it's overrun with tourists in the summer, but spring and fall are excellent times to visit. It sits atop a super volcano with a caldera 45 x 35 miles wide, whose last eruption was 630,000 years ago. Cool stuff! Geology aside, it is also one of our oldest national parks, and features a wonderful array of animals, plants, birds, and other lifeforms.

What parks would you recommend?

Capital Reef is excellent, since you seem to have a bit of a Native American passion. They have old native drawings.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yellowstone is an amazing example of geology and our planet's life activity. Went there when I was a teenager. Yep, it's overrun with tourists in the summer, but spring and fall are excellent times to visit. It sits atop a super volcano with a caldera 45 x 35 miles wide, whose last eruption was 630,000 years ago. Cool stuff! Geology aside, it is also one of our oldest national parks, and features a wonderful array of animals, plants, birds, and other lifeforms.

What parks would you recommend?

Good question. I've visited Yellowstone, Denali , Death Valley, Carlsbad Caverns, Glacier Bay, Grand Teton, Great Smoky Mountains, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes, Katmai, Kenai Fjords, Olympic , Redwood, Rocky Mountain, Seguaro, Sequoia, Shenandoah and Wrangell-St. Elias. I didn't realize I'd visited so many until I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States
The prettiest scenery I've ever seen was on the Alaska railroad from Anchorage to Seward, once there take the Kenai Fjords tour in Resurrection Bay. I always recommend that to friends that come to visit.
I also lived close to Ketchikan, Alaska which was close to Misty Fjords Nat'l Monument (should be designated a Park). Southeast Alaska is a sight to behold on clear summer days.
I've also seen amazing swampland growing up in Louisiana. I once visited the family of one of my friends in college who lived on a bayou, they spoke Cajun French at home and he took a school boat to grammar and high school that picked him up at his pier.

I now never book hotels unless they come as a component of a travel package already included in the price. The reason being is that every other time I have done it, I show up and low and behold they have some excuse to why they don't have me a room that is somehow my fault like "We didn't think you were coming so we went ahead and gave the room to someone else." Like I called them, made a deposit, told them what time I would be arriving, and showed up before my arrival time and I somehow gave them the impression I wasn't coming.

If you book with a booking site, like Booking.com, or Tripadvisor, they shouldn't be able to pull that shit.

Good question. I've visited Yellowstone, Denali , Death Valley, Carlsbad Caverns, Glacier Bay, Grand Teton, Great Smoky Mountains, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes, Katmai, Kenai Fjords, Olympic , Redwood, Rocky Mountain, Seguaro, Sequoia, Shenandoah and Wrangell-St. Elias. I didn't realize I'd visited so many until I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_the_United_States
The prettiest scenery I've ever seen was on the Alaska railroad from Anchorage to Seward, once there take the Kenai Fjords tour in Resurrection Bay. I always recommend that to friends that come to visit.
I also lived close to Ketchikan, Alaska which was close to Misty Fjords Nat'l Monument (should be designated a Park). Southeast Alaska is a sight to behold on clear summer days.
I've also seen amazing swampland growing up in Louisiana. I once visited the family of one of my friends in college who lived on a bayou, they spoke Cajun French at home and he took a school boat to grammar and high school that picked him up at his pier.

Your list is pretty impressive. We've been to Alaska several times; we travel via RV. Resurrection Bay is a must-do, so is Denali. The Kenai is spectacular, but my heart belongs to the interior. If you get a chance, drive the Denali Hwy between Cantwell and Paxson. You can pull over almost anywhere and camp. Spectacular views of the Alaska Range, practically no one else on the entire 128-mile road, wildlife everywhere.... nothing like sitting in your RV having a morning cup of tea and have a moose peer in the window at you. lol

SEsbuXE.jpg

What did you like about Louisiana? My husband's younger sister & family just moved to the Houma area. We're thinking of visiting, kind of want to see the swamps/bayous but they are kind of intimidating -- gators, snakes, quadzillion bitey bugs, etc.

If you book with a booking site, like Booking.com, or Tripadvisor, they shouldn't be able to pull that shit.

I book by deciding where I want to stay, pulling up a map of the area, and looking for the most convenient hotel and calling them up to see if they will have any vacancies when I plan to be there. I am analog when it comes to travel.

Your list is pretty impressive. We've been to Alaska several times; we travel via RV. Resurrection Bay is a must-do, so is Denali. The Kenai is spectacular, but my heart belongs to the interior. If you get a chance, drive the Denali Hwy between Cantwell and Paxson. You can pull over almost anywhere and camp. Spectacular views of the Alaska Range, practically no one else on the entire 128-mile road, wildlife everywhere.... nothing like sitting in your RV having a morning cup of tea and have a moose peer in the window at you. lol

SEsbuXE.jpg

What did you like about Louisiana? My husband's younger sister & family just moved to the Houma area. We're thinking of visiting, kind of want to see the swamps/bayous but they are kind of intimidating -- gators, snakes, quadzillion bitey bugs, etc.

My park list will skyrocket but it's large already.

Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capital Reef, Colorado National Monument, Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of The Gunnison, Petrified Forest, Yosemite, Cedar Breaks, Smokey Mountain, Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capital Reef, Colorado National Monument, Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of The Gunnison, Petrified Forest, Yosemite, Cedar Breaks, Smokey Mountain, Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Zion and Bryce are on my list. We've been to the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtn NP, Petrified Forest, Sleeping Bear Dunes. So many more to see! Last year was lucky enough to get a Lifetime Senior Pass for only $20. Now the price is $80.

Well unfortunately camping isn’t something my girly girl wife is into. Roughing it to see nature’s wonders isn’t her cup of tea.

I'm in the same boat. All of my outdoor sporting is going to have to be done with my longtime best friend who was an Eagle Scout, and enjoys off-roading, camping, hunting, etc. My wife came out fishing on a pontoon boat he rented once, and that's as crazy as it gets.

Did Grand Canyon and Zion last summer. This year, I will probably get to Bryce Canyon, which we couldn't get to last year, thanks to wild fires.

Did Grand Canyon and Zion last summer. This year, I will probably get to Bryce Canyon, which we couldn't get to last year, thanks to wild fires.

In 09 we had to come back to Bryce canyon, because a wildfire was going when we showed up. We went on to Yosemite, and came back. I did get some pics on the trip.

attachment.php

I'm in the same boat. All of my outdoor sporting is going to have to be done with my longtime best friend who was an Eagle Scout, and enjoys off-roading, camping, hunting, etc. My wife came out fishing on a pontoon boat he rented once, and that's as crazy as it gets.

Darn. Too bad you don't live here, I'd go fishing with you. My husband isn't a fan unless it's deep sea fishing.

Back