Jade's travel picture share.

Some interesting babushkas I met in rural Russia. The oldest one, with the candle, lived through the Nazi occupation, and did she have some harrowing stories to tell!
whn1fm.jpg

:loveu:
I recall you talking about it a while back in another discussion. Where was it again? Is it open to the public, or a private resort/area?

Oh no, not a resort at all. The springs are all natural and there's no camping there. The Lochsa Lodge, where the cabins are, is about 10 miles from the springs. You drive, park, and walk into Warm Springs Creek. This place is about an hour or so west of Missoula, Montana on Highway 12. Right off the beautiful Lochsa River.

Damn, I'd forgotten what a gaudy mess that town is.
Did you ever go to Hoover Dam? I don't know if they let you go inside anymore, after 9/11, but you used to be able to tour the entire place including seeing the huge turbines.

Yeah, I have a few times, but not in the dam itself. The last on a trip to the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago. The roads were undergoing some major renovation then. It was quite a mess.

Yurt still thinks I'm a girl, so the weirdness will ensue when I share from my vacation this summer. Until then, here's me back in 2009, at a place that needs no introduction.
attachment.php

Not a vacation pic (unless you all wanna come on up!). View from Presque Isle this afternoon, looking NE over Superior. A bit of the SE of here a freighter was stuck in the ice.

RnK1sFk.jpg

Here's the freighter, the Kaye E Barker. An ice breaker from our good friends in Canada came to get her out; she's moored up at the ore docks now.

4ueNahl.jpg

One of my favorite spots...visit at least once a year.

No need to caption this one.

19109282614_0_BG (2).jpg

Click on picture to enlarge.

You know...if you've ever travelled with someone from an Asian background you'd probably understand why I don't have any recent vacation pictures. My wife has about 3 million of them cause her idea of a vacation is to travel to location on itinerary list, take as many pictures as humanly possible in 10 minutes. Leave for next itinerary location.

This summer I plan on renting a fishing cabin up north...I plan on hiding her smart phone. :)

Getting the trip figured out, and deciding we need to cut a bit out due to cost. Will post pictures when the time comes.

The Afghanistan War memorial in Minsk. A pretty good Russian movie about the Afghanistan War is called "The 9th Company", loosely based on the events of the battle of hill 3234 that occurred in early 1988, as well as a portrait of the Russian kids who were sent into the meat grinder. I might have to see if Netflix has it!
o9TMFrt.jpg

Afghanistan Veterans in Belarus: Soldiers of Forgotten War

Few people from the West know that tens of thousands of Belarusians fought in Afghanistan.

The war has long been over, but its legacy remains. The Afghan war brought not only death, physical disabilities and material losses. It also made drug addiction a widespread occurrence in the former USSR.

On 15 February, the Belarusian warrior-internationalists celebrated their professional holiday. 24 years ago, on 15 February 1989, the Soviet troops left Afghanistan for good.

During 10 years of the war, the Belarusian military enlistment offices sent nearly 30,000 people to Afghanistan. Two-thirds of them still live in Belarus. In everyday life, these people are called Afgantsy, a Russian word for those who participated in the invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.

The Afgantsy in Belarus have strained relations with the authorities. Although the Belarusian government has deprived the veterans of almost all benefits, some remain loyal to the authorities. Others openly oppose the regime, for example, political prisoner Mikalaj Autukhovich and human rights defender Aleh Vouchak.

Belarusian society never looks back on those events that transpired, and any moral estimations of that war are rare in the public sphere. Only the independent community’s representatives openly speak about the shame of particpating in the war for Belarus.

The war in Afghanistan still causes pain in Belarusians' memories. This war remains the last in which they took part in and in which the Belarusian military involvement was very prominent. According to the number of human losses, Belarus is fourth after Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

The Afghan Memory Foundation provides information that the Soviet authorities sent 28,832 Belarusians to Afghanistan during the war. 732 of them died, nearly as much were maimed and are now disabled. 12 Belarusians are still missing, three received the title of Hero of the Soviet Union, two of them – posthumously. On average, the Afgantsy did not live long after the war – making it only to their 45th birthdays. More than half of the military casualties were under 20.
continued https://belarusdigest.com/story/afghanistan-veterans-in-belarus-soldiers-of-forgotten-war/

Holy smoke, that makes 19,999
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?95445-fyi-about-me&p=2369489#post2369489

Last edited:
Back