Janet Napolitano Resigning

I have buddy I play golf with who is pretty involved in progressive causes and he just posted this story about Janet on Facebook and said 'are you kidding me'? There were three comments that followed two which said the same thing and another that asked if she was another anti-union Dem. Kind of wish he said more as to why he was unhappy with her selection. Probably thinks she's too much of mainstream Dem but who knows.

Saw this column in the SF Chronicle. Maybe this is why my friend, who is Vietnamese, was skeptical of her.

Napolitano nomination as UC head alarms immigrants

Janet Napolitano's nomination to become the next president of the University of California is deeply alarming, as it clashes with our state's values and priorities.

My first year at UC Berkeley was President Obama's first year in office. I watched his inauguration in 2009, fed full of promise that his administration would move our country past vitriol and stale arguments to a genuine reform of our immigration system. But on the watch of Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, deportations of illegal immigrants soared to record numbers. By the end of this year, it will mark nearly 2 million, a figure that includes the expulsion of some of my classmates and their parents.

At UC Berkeley, I found a vibrant community of immigrant rightssupporters. While carrying a full course load of political science classes, I and my peers organized rallies and made calls to our elected officials to support the federal Dream Act.

In former UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau, I found a hero and champion. While universities in other states expelled undocumented students merely because of their status, Birgeneau's leadership made UC Berkeley well known as a welcoming place for all talented students, including immigrants.

And when Steve Li, a student at City College of San Francisco, was seized in an early morning raid by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a coalition of students, teachers and community leaders came together and demanded the attention of policymakers. I am paralyzed with grief and heartache when I think about what could have happened if Li had been deported. Li would later go on to enroll at UC Davis, still burdened with the trauma of immigration detention before his 21st birthday.

My final paper at UC Berkeley was on Secure Communities, Napolitano's crowning achievement. This dragnet deportation program has not only wasted law enforcement resources on low-level offenders and victims of domestic violence, but also has earned the scorn of police in many of our nation's cities.

With Napolitano's background, I question the UC system's ability to provide a welcoming learning environment to all students. California should prioritize its ability to provide a world-class education. The university system would benefit from the leadership of an educator, someone with expertise in education policy or, at the bare minimum, someone who has worked with our students, our faculty and our employees in California. Our perennial budget woes, choked by the legacy of ballot initiatives, require us to choose the right leadership to ensure education funding is a priority.

As Californians, we are stakeholders in the quality of our education system. We must expect nothing less than the most qualified leaders. We must be vigilant that our decision-makers have the best interests of students as their guiding principle.

Catherine Eusebio is a board member of United We Dream and a graduate of UC Berkeley, Class of 2011.

Back