Jesus Camp

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY

The evil of religion will hopefully be wiped from the earth one day. These children are casualties; don't let their sacrifice be in vain!

I posted a comment to this on reddit and now I will share this story with all of you:

When I was around 9-10, I lived in a very christian neighborhood. These two girls asked my friend and I if we would like to go to some church carnival, of which I expected to see games, prizes, rides, all that good stuff. So I said why not. When we got there, we were immediately separated from the rest of the group and taken by some adults down a long hallway into a small private room with multiple cubicles.
I was put into one of these cubicles all by myself and two church officials started telling me that I was going to hell and that I needed to be saved (keep in mind, I'm like 9 years old here), and that only by accepting jesus blah blah blah that I could go to heaven. They then presented me with a contract for me to sign, of which I would promise my soul to jesus. They also told me that If I signed it, in addition to being saved, they would give me a jolly rancher.
I signed that contract that day, but I assure you, it was only for the jolly rancher.

Yeah, it's usually ex-cons that preach like that. For some reason the prospect of being raped on a daily basis makes believers out of them, and of course the only way to show you believe and have reformed is to force your opinion on everyone else. Heaven (or void for you two) forbid that your actions show the true side of your convictions, and actually live the lessons Jesus taught. Plus it's so much easier to speak than to act.

gyVyI.jpg

only in name only. there were too many proles in the ussr for them to be atheists. they didn't have the intellectual capacity to know there was no god.

and even if we did stipulate, it still doesn't compare to all the atrocities that religion has done. The world would be better today if religion had never existed, and disappeared off the face of the earth

only in name only. there were too many proles in the ussr for them to be atheists. they didn't have the intellectual capacity to know there was no god.

and even if we did stipulate, it still doesn't compare to all the atrocities that religion has done. The world would be better today if religion had never existed, and disappeared off the face of the earth
Right. However it wasn't the proles killing them, it was usually the leaders killing them because they went to church. It's absolutely inane to conveniently "forget" that there were many killed because they weren't quite atheist enough...

Oh, and in my youth I took part in many "Jesus Camp" activities... Seriously, the kids just do what they have to in order to get through it and move on. They actually aren't any more religious than any other group of people. It's pretty easy to just say the right thing lift your arms and pretend to talk in jibberish at the right times...

Although in my youth I was one of the few who outright told them that I didn't believe. I used to hang with these people after church and they most certainly were not any more likely to become Jesus zombies than anybody else...

no one was killed in the name of atheism. Plenty of people have been killed in the name of religion. there is a difference. the ussr may have been atheist but they killed their enemies for different reasons. It would be like a mailman killing someone and then saying mailmen have committed countless atrocities. The fact the guy delivers the mail has little to no bearing on the equation. Religion commands its followers to kill infidels. It is the bedrock of the stupid and inferior.

no one was killed in the name of atheism. Plenty of people have been killed in the name of religion. there is a difference. the ussr may have been atheist but they killed their enemies for different reasons. It would be like a mailman killing someone and then saying mailmen have committed countless atrocities. The fact the guy delivers the mail has little to no bearing on the equation. Religion commands its followers to kill infidels. It is the bedrock of the stupid and inferior.
Again, this simply ignores actual history. The teachers we had at DLI lived it, they told stories of the people who would stand outside the churches and turn in their neighbors in order to get their apartment.

Yeah, many of them were killed for other things like being turned in for "speaking against" the leaders (as ridiculous as being turned in for church but Lenin was extremely paranoid), but many were also killed for being brave enough to show up at a church...

I find it interesting that the three atheists have had a "Jesus camp" experience while I, having grown up in a Christian church, have not.....

I grew up in a church much like Haggard's without the whole gay sex for the pastor thing, and I am not an atheist.

where do you find churches that browbeat nine year olds or offer them Jolly Ranchers to "convert"?......I'm of the opinion that you're all full of shit.....

where do you find churches that browbeat nine year olds or offer them Jolly Ranchers to "convert"?......I'm of the opinion that you're all full of shit.....
That one is Grind's story. There is no way our church would ever do that. They pounded the idea of setting the example, not attempting to do it by force. However the scenes from the "Jesus Camp" movie were regular fare at the church that I grew up at. Well, I never saw a cardboard cutout...

I think Grind got his story off of King of the Hill...

Back