Jim Jones

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
An interesting interview and you can see why many people at one time respected him, and then he changed and the rest is history.

I wouldn't. I write about eras in U.S. history, and in a couple of instances, the iconic individuals I've chosen are people who precipitated criminal activity or tragic events. I'm not looking for those people; I'm writing about people who embody some aspect of American society of a particular era. And I write about the good and the bad of those eras. Jim Jones, for example, was a demagogue, but I was shocked to learn about the great things he accomplished. If he had died at the end of his tenure in Indianapolis, we'd remember him as one of the great heroes of the civil rights movement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...0-years-on-The-Road-to-Jonestown-11107131.php

This: "They wonder how they let themselves be fooled, how they could have gone along, and they replay endlessly the things that have happened to them, trying to pinpoint moments when they could have done something. "

This same thing echoes throughout history, doesn't it?

An interesting interview and you can see why many people at one time respected him, and then he changed and the rest is history.

I wouldn't. I write about eras in U.S. history, and in a couple of instances, the iconic individuals I've chosen are people who precipitated criminal activity or tragic events. I'm not looking for those people; I'm writing about people who embody some aspect of American society of a particular era. And I write about the good and the bad of those eras. Jim Jones, for example, was a demagogue, but I was shocked to learn about the great things he accomplished. If he had died at the end of his tenure in Indianapolis, we'd remember him as one of the great heroes of the civil rights movement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...0-years-on-The-Road-to-Jonestown-11107131.php

Just watched a History channel documentary on Jones, he was a bad guy from the start. He started a cult following in Indiana, and when questions arose, he bolted for San Francisco. Given the time period, was able to cover his motives and effects thru demagoguery and token gestures

It was only a matter of time before he was exposed, which is why he fled to South America

It's virtue signalling. He preyed in those he duped.

It's like Harvey Weinstein. He championed woman's rights, marching in the woman's march, starting the Miriam foundation in support of female directors. He was also raping and abusing them. Sometimes evil people use good causes as cover.

Just watched a History channel documentary on Jones, he was a bad guy from the start. He started a cult following in Indiana, and when questions arose, he bolted for San Francisco. Given the time period, was able to cover his motives and effects thru demagoguery and token gestures

It was only a matter of time before he was exposed, which is why he fled to South America
A contradiction in character. The good he did, while being a shister.

It's virtue signalling. He preyed in those he duped.

It's like Harvey Weinstein. He championed woman's rights, marching in the woman's march, starting the Miriam foundation in support of female directors. He was also raping and abusing them. Sometimes evil people use good causes as cover.
Unfortunately, it happens all too often. It’s a good comparison with Weinstein.

This: "They wonder how they let themselves be fooled, how they could have gone along, and they replay endlessly the things that have happened to them, trying to pinpoint moments when they could have done something. "

the bush team pretended they were not warned

Solzhenitsyn spent a lot of time writing about the nature of good and evil, and how there is a line in all human hearts dividing good from evil - and that it is the conscious choices we make that define our character. People who otherwise might have been good people, got caught up helping Stalin commit his crimes against humanity...people who otherwise might have led decent lives, became guards at Gulag camps, NKVD interrogators, etc.

“Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts. This line shifts. Inside us, it oscillates with the years. And even within hearts overwhelmed by evil, one small bridgehead of good is retained. And even in the best of all hearts, there remains ... an unuprooted small corner of evil.

If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.

Since then I have come to understand the truth of all the religions of the world: They struggle with the evil inside a human being (inside every human being). It is impossible to expel evil from the world in its entirety, but it is possible to constrict it within each person.”

-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn spent a lot of time writing about the nature of good and evil, and how there is a line in all human hearts dividing good from evil - and that it is the conscious choices we make that define our character. People who otherwise might have been good people, got caught up helping Stalin commit his crimes against humanity...people who otherwise might have led decent lives, became guards at Gulag camps, NKVD interrogators, etc.
He was brilliant.

This part surprised me, too: "Jim Jones, for example, was a demagogue, but I was shocked to learn about the great things he accomplished."

He was totally non-racist when racism was more acceptable than it is today.

Sounds like you on the now defunct Amazon boards, a demagogue with her coterie of dumb clucks!!

Back