John Cleese: Football v Soccer

I think golf is about the most boring game to watch from a spectating point of view!

Golf is a pussy sport for pussy men!

Rodeos, Football, Basketball, and Baseball are sports for REAL men. Not Pussies riding around in PUSSY golf carts- checking out each other's asses while they putt!

Yeah, it is a pussy sport for pussy men.

That is why goddam near every professional athlete in the United States considers golf to be his/her favorite sport.

Gimme a fucking break.

Anyone who uses that "golf if for pussies" hits a nerve with me.

It sucks...and by now it should not be used by anyone.

BOTTOM LINE: Sports talk among athletes or commentators will just about always include talk about golf. It IS the favorite sport of numerous sports stars...football, soccer, baseball, track, and damn near every other sport...except tennis stars.

I agree that golf is possibly the most boring thing on Earth in terms of SPECTATOR appeal. I've never understood how someone could sit in front of a TV for hours watching it or even pay for tickets to get on the course during a match to be part of the gallery, following one player around, etc, etc.

Also, I feel like in terms of being a sport, it's more of a quasi-sport. More of a game than a sport, depending on how one defines the word sport. Same with auto racing, which I think is more of a contest than an actual sport.

I think that to me, the word sport suggests a higher level of physical athleticism than golf or racing involve.

All that having been said, as far as skill games go that involve any amount of physical interaction with a ball on a field etc, golf is the most difficult one known to mankind to master and reach the pinnacle of.

I think that challenge is what attracts all those pro athletes from other sports to it, as well as how it probably sharpens up the skills involved in their main sport. Skills like concentration, accuracy, control, consistency in repetitive movements, etc.

I've never personally liked it, but I can understand the appeal to others.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Some guys play golf- I play guitars!

Same here!!! :thup: :cool:

That's not entirely fair. 'Their' football is more exciting than Cricket. Cricket is singularly the world's most boring game. The only reason I can fathom for watching it at all is as a drinking game where you go on a weekend long bender to get as drunk and stay as drunk as possible. There is no other redeeming value in watching a game of cricket.

American football is sort of a version for pussies. "Real" football is like rugby and Australian rules football. No personal protection, and ten times the violence. You lose a limb playing, you're supposed to get up and keep playing unless you're a total woose.

American football, soccer, rugby, lacrosse, basketball, hockey, and even polo are all variations of the same boring game--attack and defend goals under a running. clock.

That's what makes baseball great (at least before Selig and Manfred ruined it),
and although cricket takes forever to play, at least it's not an attack and defend goals under a running clock game.

League rugby sucks, but union rugby is ok.
They don't wear protective pads, true,
but they aren't allowed to launch off their feet to tackle, either... or to throw blocks. They just pull each other down by the jersey.

Now that the Brady / Patriots era is over, I don't hate football season anymore.

The idea of that Trumpsucker dandy boy with his plastic bitch supermodel wife winning the Super Bowl to the delight of the obnoxious asshole residents of the biggest obnoxious asshole city in America was too nauseating to take.

Then, moving to Florida and becoming QB for a team I once used to root for was almost more than I could bear.

Now, every time Tampa Bay loses a game I'm like....

:kipyes:

Fuck Tom Brady. :fu:

I hope he ends his career with a blowout loss to some cellar-dweller shit team.

Fucker deserves it for hanging around way past the time he should've hung it up.

Fuck Tom Brady. :fu:

I don't even like football, but twice, two local team quarterbacks---
first Doug Flutie as an amateur in the 1980s
and later Tom Brady as a professional in this century--
made a sport that I don't even like so entertaining that I had to watch it.

They were very special. Now I'm once again fine with the sport disappearing.
As I said, it's quadriplegia waiting to happen.

As for Boston, I feel blessed to live there. There's no other place that I'd rather live.
If I had to live in a rural area, I'd rather not live at all.
The city provides mental stimulation that maybe the country must provide for people who like that sort of dreary living.
Even living in a house in a residential part of the city is only acceptable later in life; living in a downtown apartment was
the only way to live as a young person, and I'd have been happy staying there forever.

As for Boston, I feel blessed to live there. There's no other place that I'd rather live.
If I had to live in a rural area, I'd rather not live at all.
The city provides mental stimulation that maybe the country must provide for people who like that sort of dreary living.
Even living in a house in a residential part of the city is only acceptable later in life; living in a downtown apartment was
the only way to live as a young person, and I'd have been happy staying there forever.

Apparently, some Bostonians get a bit OVERLY stimulated living there....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/back-china-massachusetts-driver-charged-181021863.html

;) (Just fucking with you. Don't get upset.)

It is timely to show this John Cleese sketch regarding why Americans call football soccer.

OMG, John Cleese. To this day, "A Fish Called Wanda" is still my favorite comedy. Or is it "Young Frankenstein"? Dammit! Ok, I'll go with "Wanda" right now.

Although I regard the international, round-ball version of football that we call soccer to be stupefyingly boring, there's no question that it has the logical title to the word "football."

It's quite a choice, really. Their "football" is less exciting than watching paint dry. Our "football" is quadriplegia waiting to happen.
Now that the Brady / Patriots era is over, I'd be fine if both games disappeared from the planet.

I'm usually not a soccer fan, but I've been into this year's World Cup for some reason. I think it's because the Micheladas in San Antonio are so good I can't leave the sport's bar :)

But there have been some great matches and I'm not entirely bored to death watching them this year!

I believe I read somewhere that the British used to call it soccer too.

Here's your Australia to American translation:

Football: Soccer

Footy: Australian Rules Football

Rugby: Rugby

What the fuck is this?: American football.

Here's your Australia to American translation:

Football: Soccer

Footy: Australian Rules Football

Rugby: Rugby

What the fuck is this?: American football.

Here's your normal person to retarded leftist translation

Who gives a shit?: Lick my balls

I'm usually not a soccer fan, but I've been into this year's World Cup for some reason. I think it's because the Micheladas in San Antonio are so good I can't leave the sport's bar :)

But there have been some great matches and I'm not entirely bored to death watching them this year!

I find that in my dotage, I'm not the sports fan that I used to be.

Baseball and boxing were my favorites, but I lost track of boxing when it moved from premium cable to streaming,
and the Bud Selig / Rob Manfred leadership era has managed to make baseball just as tacky as all the other team sports. More so, actually.

I watched football when Doug Flutie was at Boston College, and then again when Tom Brady was with the Patriots, but there's nothing to watch now.

I never gave a rat's ass about the Bruins or Celtics unless they were in the finals.

Also, our nearby thoroughbred race tracks, Suffolk Downs and Rockingham Park, have both closed down.

I watched one soccer match from beginning to end in my entire life. On TV, not in person.
It was between the German and Italian national teams, it had to be decades ago now, and if I remember correctly, Italy won. Can't be sure, though.

My son played baseball, not soccer, so I never had to sit through a kids' game.
I do miss the youth baseball, but he's almost 49 so they don't let him play anymore.

I still have the two big buckets full of baseballs with which I DIDN'T throw him batting practice very often
because he preferred to go through rolls and rolls of quarters in the batting cages where we didn't have to retrieve the balls.
Yes, people still used coins back then.
The buckets of balls are a man cave decoration on the floor in front of the bookshelves now, along with his bats.

I find that in my dotage, I'm not the sports fan that I used to be.

Baseball and boxing were my favorites, but I lost track of boxing when it moved from premium cable to streaming,
and the Bud Selig / Rob Manfred leadership era has managed to make baseball just as tacky as all the other team sports. More so, actually.

I watched football when Doug Flutie was at Boston College, and then again when Tom Brady was with the Patriots, but there's nothing to watch now.

I never gave a rat's ass about the Bruins or Celtics unless they were in the finals.

Also, our nearby thoroughbred race tracks, Suffolk Downs and Rockingham Park, have both closed down.

I watched one soccer match from beginning to end in my entire life. On TV, not in person.
It was between the German and Italian national teams, it had to be decades ago now, and if I remember correctly, Italy won. Can't be sure, though.

My son played baseball, not soccer, so I never had to sit through a kids' game.
I do miss the youth baseball, but he's almost 49 so they don't let him play anymore.

I still have the two big buckets full of baseballs with which I DIDN'T throw him batting practice very often
because he preferred to go through rolls and rolls of quarters in the batting cages where we didn't have to retrieve the balls.
Yes, people still used coins back then.
The buckets of balls are a man cave decoration on the floor in front of the bookshelves now, along with his bats.

Yes, 49 is just a little too old to play youth sports :)

My youngest played peewee football. All the parents had a blast watching it. I was on the "chain gang" most of the time, flipping the down sign for everyone.

Baseball was voted the 11th most boring sport, soccer/futbal didn’t make the list.

https://playersbio.com/most-boring-sport-to-watch/

Baseball, as much as I've always loved it, is in serious trouble.

Kids aren't playing it the way they used to, and the professionals are very dependent on foreign players, now.

As sports entertainment, they're trying to attract new fans by tarting up the game, but are just driving away the old purists like myself.

The most athletic among today's kids prefer sports where their athletic ability can carry them by itself.
Baseball is all complex learned skills, and excellent athletes who don't have the patience for the learning curve can seriously suck at it.

The word soccer comes from association I believe. Association Football was then much better known as “Assoccer” in the 19th century, which quickly just became “Soccer” and sometimes “Soccer Football”.

American football, soccer, rugby, lacrosse, basketball, hockey, and even polo are all variations of the same boring game--attack and defend goals under a running. clock.

That's what makes baseball great (at least before Selig and Manfred ruined it),
and although cricket takes forever to play, at least it's not an attack and defend goals under a running clock game.

League rugby sucks, but union rugby is ok.
They don't wear protective pads, true,
but they aren't allowed to launch off their feet to tackle, either... or to throw blocks. They just pull each other down by the jersey.

Pakistani spin bowlers are the world's best.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cri...ickets-England-Pakistan-Test-debut-Ben-Stokes

I think golf is about the most boring game to watch from a spectating point of view!

Golf is a pussy sport for pussy men!

Rodeos, Football, Basketball, and Baseball are sports for REAL men. Not Pussies riding around in PUSSY golf carts- checking out each other's asses while they putt!

Golf is a drinking game. The cart is to hold the beer cooler.

Back