Just curious

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
The new season of "WALKING DEAD" starts tonight and I'm watching the final show from last season and I have a couple of questions.

If such a situation occured, what would you be willing to do to survive?

Can zombies starve to death or would they just rot and how long would it take?

Where would you try to go, to protect yourself?

The new season of "WALKING DEAD" starts tonight and I'm watching the final show from last season and I have a couple of questions.

If such a situation occured, what would you be willing to do to survive?

Can zombies starve to death or would they just rot and how long would it take?

Where would you try to go, to protect yourself?

No, zombies cannot starve. They eat not because of need but because they're brain has rotted and only the most basic and primal parts survive. It also alters the way tissue breaks down and how mitosis occurs. So they do rot and decompose, but at very slow rate.

I have several plans for zombies. One involves the old Detroit train station. Its huge, commands a lot of area, and is unseigable by zombies.

No, zombies cannot starve. They eat not because of need but because they're brain has rotted and only the most basic and primal parts survive. It also alters the way tissue breaks down and how mitosis occurs. So they do rot and decompose, but at very slow rate.

I have several plans for zombies. One involves the old Detroit train station. Its huge, commands a lot of area, and is unseigable by zombies.

You know, there are practical reasons we need to eat. Your body breaks the stuff down into energy. How are zombies powered? Perpetual motion devices?

Also, in most newer zombie movies, they start acting like zombies way before their brain could've possibly rotted. Also, I don't see why the microbes that are breaking down their brain into energy would just eat the prefrontal cortex and such, while leaving the brain stem untouched. Also, I'd like to remind you that all of Terry Schaivo's brain had pretty much been destroyed besides the most primitive parts (brain stem). This turned her into a vegetable, not a zombie. There are vital interdependencies present in your higher and lower brain which have evolved and need to be preserved. You can't just knock of the upper regions and expect to de-evolve someone.

But wouldn't moving, even at a slower pace, still require energy to be burned; or else the leg muscles would start to break down?

You know, there are practical reasons we need to eat. Your body breaks the stuff down into energy. How are zombies powered? Perpetual motion devices?

Their bodies break themselves down to form ATP. They also break down most of the bacteria that cause decomposition.

Also, in most newer zombie movies, they start acting like zombies way before their brain could've possibly rotted. Also, I don't see why the microbes that are breaking down their brain into energy would just eat the prefrontal cortex and such, while leaving the brain stem untouched. Also, I'd like to remind you that all of Terry Schaivo's brain had pretty much been destroyed besides the most primitive parts (brain stem). This turned her into a vegetable, not a zombie. There are vital interdependencies present in your higher and lower brain which have evolved and need to be preserved. You can't just knock of the upper regions and expect to de-evolve someone.

Well I'm not a trained brain surgeon, so my explanation is limited. The virus that causes zombieism is highly specialized in that it only attacks our frontal cortex. It doesn't destroy it persay, in that its evolved to control us, the host, so that it may perpetuate itself. Its the side effects of this attack that cause other symptoms. Its not like the virus literally eats away the frontal brain cells, it enslaves them.

Their bodies break themselves down to form ATP. They also break down most of the bacteria that cause decomposition.

That was my take on this also.
Looking at some other sites, it was suggested that the bodies would break down slower in colder areas and faster in warmer areas.

Now comes a question in how long would it take for the zombies to finally rot themselves into oblivion?

This would have to take into accout that some of them would probably survive longer, due to being able to find living things to eat; including animals.

That was my take on this also.
Looking at some other sites, it was suggested that the bodies would break down slower in colder areas and faster in warmer areas.

Now comes a question in how long would it take for the zombies to finally rot themselves into oblivion?

This would have to take into accout that some of them would probably survive longer, due to being able to find living things to eat; including animals.

You're right, temperature does play a role in it in most midwestern/ European temps it'd tae around 10 years for a zombie to break down and 'die'. Colder temps actually freeze preserve them, so theoretically they can survives for decades, maybe even a century or beyond. Hotter tropical/desert climates drop their life span to 5-8 years.

You're right, temperature does play a role in it in most midwestern/ European temps it'd tae around 10 years for a zombie to break down and 'die'. Colder temps actually freeze preserve them, so theoretically they can survives for decades, maybe even a century or beyond. Hotter tropical/desert climates drop their life span to 5-8 years.

One of the things that I read, is that the eyes are usually one of the first to rot away. Wouldn't this result in a lot of blind zombies stumbling around?

Now that we have a kind of established time line of 5 to 10 years, depending on the circumstances, where a zombie body would essentially rot away; the next question is what kind of facility would be needed to occupied, in order to survive for that length of time.
Take into consideration:
1. The amount of people
2. supplies (food, water, clothing, medicine, etc.)
3. ammo or weapons
4 the ability to remove body waste, for a specific amount of people for x# of years
5. anything else that might come up

One of the things that I read, is that the eyes are usually one of the first to rot away. Wouldn't this result in a lot of blind zombies stumbling around?
Possibly, but we really don't know how much zombies rely on eye sight. One thing that is also true is that zombies do not blink, or anything really, to keep their eye moist.

Back