Last Universal Common Ancestor

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Last Universal Common Ancestor, and the Hard Limits of Knowledge

Around 4 billion years ago there lived a microbe called LUCA — the Last Universal Common Ancestor. There is evidence that it could have lived a somewhat ‘alien’ lifestyle, hidden away deep underground in iron-sulfur rich hydrothermal vents. Anaerobic and autotrophic, it didn’t breath air and made its own food from the dark, metal-rich environment around it. Its metabolism depended upon hydrogen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Most remarkable of all, this little microbe was the beginning of a long lineage that encapsulates all life on Earth.

Using a variety of methods, biologists have mapped out the tree of relationships between living things across Earth’s long inhabited history, which goes back more than three billion years.

Through these kinds of studies, biologists can trace all of life back to a single kind of organism - LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor.. The basic structures of this entity’s biochemistry, including the use of DNA, are what every form of life on Earth today uses.

We do not know much about this creature. We do not have direct fossils of its existence. But we can infer its existence from the tree of life. There must have been a last universal common ancestor that gave root to all life on Earth.

The recognition of LUCA is a triumph of modern biological sciences. But it is also a horizon beyond which we cannot see. Could there, for example, have been more than one origin of life on Earth? Perhaps there were different versions of self-replicators, but the one leading to LUCA won out. What came before LUCA in its own lineage? LUCA, after all, represents the living form we all descended from, not necessarily the origin of life itself. Like cosmologists pushing further back in cosmic history, biologists must be creative as they seek to move further back in the dim mists of time.

The limits of knowledge:
What’s cool about all this is how it reveals something fundamental about science. Horizons exist because evidence comes with constraints we don’t know how to break. That means that not every direct question can find a direct answer. The trail can simply grow cold, or disappear. At that point, the most interesting question of all arises: What do you do next?

https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/news/looking-for-luca-the-last-universal-common-ancestor/

https://bigthink.com/13-8/limits-of-knowledge-big-bang-origin-life/

Last Universal Common Ancestor, and the Hard Limits of Knowledge

Around 4 billion years ago there lived a microbe called LUCA — the Last Universal Common Ancestor. There is evidence that it could have lived a somewhat ‘alien’ lifestyle, hidden away deep underground in iron-sulfur rich hydrothermal vents. Anaerobic and autotrophic, it didn’t breath air and made its own food from the dark, metal-rich environment around it. Its metabolism depended upon hydrogen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Most remarkable of all, this little microbe was the beginning of a long lineage that encapsulates all life on Earth.

Using a variety of methods, biologists have mapped out the tree of relationships between living things across Earth’s long inhabited history, which goes back more than three billion years.

Through these kinds of studies, biologists can trace all of life back to a single kind of organism - LUCA, the Last Universal Common Ancestor.. The basic structures of this entity’s biochemistry, including the use of DNA, are what every form of life on Earth today uses.

We do not know much about this creature. We do not have direct fossils of its existence. But we can infer its existence from the tree of life. There must have been a last universal common ancestor that gave root to all life on Earth.

The recognition of LUCA is a triumph of modern biological sciences. But it is also a horizon beyond which we cannot see. Could there, for example, have been more than one origin of life on Earth? Perhaps there were different versions of self-replicators, but the one leading to LUCA won out. What came before LUCA in its own lineage? LUCA, after all, represents the living form we all descended from, not necessarily the origin of life itself. Like cosmologists pushing further back in cosmic history, biologists must be creative as they seek to move further back in the dim mists of time.

The limits of knowledge:
What’s cool about all this is how it reveals something fundamental about science. Horizons exist because evidence comes with constraints we don’t know how to break. That means that not every direct question can find a direct answer. The trail can simply grow cold, or disappear. At that point, the most interesting question of all arises: What do you do next?

https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/news/looking-for-luca-the-last-universal-common-ancestor/

275790997_498749318408606_5937796873673289465_n.jpg
Genesis 3:22

nmicrobiol2016116-f1.jpg__1240x510_q85_subject_location-343%2C305_subsampling-2.jpg

I think it's one of the most remarkable discoveries in biology of the last 30 years: demonstrating that life in all it's variety and complexity descended from a single celled organism that lived 3.5 billion years ago.

Last edited:
The limits of knowledge:

I'll bet you can guess what I'm going to do next.

There's one philosophy that removes the burden of this kind of heavy speculation and inquiry from those of us who embrace it.

The emergence of matter, however it transpired, permanently and for eternity perniciously infected the perfection of nothingness, the total void.

There is no foreseeable recovery from this phenomenon, so enduring it --the existence of somethingness--over the length of a human lifetime is all that we really need to learn to do.
Efforts at anything else will obviously be futile.

So what do I do next? Make a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. You should try it.

nmicrobiol2016116-f1.jpg__1240x510_q85_subject_location-343%2C305_subsampling-2.jpg

I don't think it's one of the most remarkable discoveries in biology of the last 30 years: demonstrating that life in all it's variety and complexity descended from a single celled organism that lived 3.5 billion years ago.

I'm glad that for once they didn't give it some Biblical name.

There's one philosophy that removes the burden of this kind of heavy speculation and inquiry from those of us who embrace it.

The emergence of matter, however it transpired, permanently and for eternity perniciously infected the perfection of nothingness, the total void.

There is no foreseeable recovery from this phenomenon, so enduring it --the existence of somethingness--over the length of a human lifetime is all that we really need to learn to do.

Over here it's an everything bagel with onion and chive cream cheese. lol

Matter may not exist. Our sensory perceptions may decieve us. Atoms may only be perturbations in the quantum fields.

As for the void: it probably doesn't exist. What we think of as "nothing" is actually quantum foam.

As for food, I prefer breakfast tacos!

Matter may not exist. Our sensory perceptions may decieve us. Atoms may only be perturbations in the quantum fields.

As for the void: it probably doesn't exist. What we think of as "nothing" is actually quantum foam.

As for food, I prefer breakfast tacos!

I have no way of being sure,
but I strongly suspect that "quantum fields"
may have the same origins as the "contact play" in baseball or the "back shoulder pass" in football.

Somebody tried to make a big mistake look as if it were on purpose.
Just another theory like all the others.

Explain in detail.

I thought you said you read the bible?

In one creation story, God created the plants and animals, and then humans last.

In the other creation story man created humans, and then animals and plants last.

It's curious that Genesis has two totally different creation stories. In Genesis 1, the animals and plants were created before humans, and then humans were created last.

In Genesis 2, Man was created first, and then the animals and plants afterwards.

Explain in detail.

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 represent two different versions of the creation story. This was not uncommon in the early Bible as there also appears to be two different accounts of the Flood. I forget now but I believe it is thought that the two stories are assigned to different "authors" and may be the result of attempts to align two different traditions within the early version of the faith.

I dunno. Sounds a bit too much like a feminine hygiene product. :rofl2:

Because of our western tradition, our language is littered with biblical allusion: be a good Samaritan, the truth shall set you free, do onto others.... it's just become part of our lexicon.

I don't begrudge journalists for trying to find a catchy and memorable way to illustrate a concept. Microbial Eve as a rhetorical prop gets the general scientific idea across in two words, what it might take a paragraph to describe in technical detail.

Back