Legacy of the boomers

Just take the mothers in your lives out on Saturday to skip the only Sunday of the year with reservation only seating and traffic.

The worst thing I can blame boomers for are bell bottoms, wide ties, and polyester pant suits.

Simply horrific.

Besides fashion disasters, on the flip side the Boomers should get credit for being the first – and only – generation in modern history to constrain the tentacles of the National Security State and the Military-Industrial Complex.

Vietnam is the only American war I know of that was literally stopped in its tracks by protesters and young people.

It would be over a generation later that Americans would allow another full blown immoral and unnecessary war – a war on Iraq, in that case (we also have to allow for a distinction between liberal baby boomers, and rightwing baby boomers).

The post-Vietnam reforms of the CIA and FBI took some of the hard edges of the worst abuses of Hoover’s FBI, and Nixon’s CIA. It would be no longer possible for American presidents to conduct cut-throat, immoral, and purely Machiavellian foreign policy (at least for a while) without the consent of the American people. I am positive Bedtime for Bonzo Raygun would have completely gotten away with illegally funding a civil war in Nicaragua if it had been 20 years earlier.

I frequently see rightwing message board millennials and Gen Xers complaining about the federal budget fiscal irresponsibility of the Boomers…probably with some validity….except for this…a lot of these rightwingers supported or defended the 3 trillion dollar Iraq War and/or George Bush’s tax cuts for the rich – amounting to fiscal insanity of the first order. So, these types of rightwingers do not have any standing to complain about fiscal irresponsibility.

Before the boomers protested you could get drafted into a war and were unable to vote yet

think about that one for awhile

Back