"Many Saints of Newark " movie review. NO SPOILERS

Stone

Contributor
Watched it last night. At first I was pretty tepid when it came to the movie, 1st 45 minutes or so. Then as the story expanded it got a lot better. As the movie ended I was kind of like....well,...its o.k. Not great, not bad. Then a funny thing happened. As I thought about the movie later that night there were so many little nuances in the story line that kicked in that I began to see the movie in a much different, much better light. So much so that I had to re watch it.

My final review of the movie? VERY good. But play close attention.

I will include no spoilers in here but I will say this. There are many different kinds of wanting. Wanting is not always about money or fame. Be careful what you wish for.......;)

Oh wait,.... one last thought. :thinking:

As a "stand alone" movie I would say it is somewhere between just passable and merely o.k. But, if you are a fan of the Soprano's series then the movie becomes VERY good. It is so dependent on the actual viewer and not the maker. It really could be seen as people watching two totally different movies as one viewer would be coming in as a blank canvas and the other with years of background on the story lines and plot twists. Kind of a ..." so this is what makes him tic" thing.

So there it is,....as always in the end YOU the viewer can be the judge.

BTW,.....I quite like this song. Its from a famous episode in the series. Lots of really good music in the series IMO. Anyway,.....this one is kinda like the review I just did. Starts slow , real slow,....but builds into something great!

Last edited:
Watched it last night. At first I was pretty tepid when it came to the movie, 1st 45 minutes or so. Then as the story expanded it got a lot better. As the movie ended I was kind of like....well,...its o.k. Not great, not bad. Then a funny thing happened. As I thought about the movie later that night there were so many little nuances in the story line that kicked in that I began to see the movie in a much different, much better light. So much so that I had to re watch it.

I will include no spoilers in here but I will say this. There are many different kinds of wanting. Wanting is not always about money or fame. Be careful what you wish for.......;)

As a "stand alone" movie I would say it is somewhere between just passable and merely o.k. But, if you are a fan of the Soprano's series then the movie becomes VERY good. It is so dependent on the actual viewer and not the maker. It really could be seen as people watching two totally different movies as one viewer would be coming in as a blank canvas and the other with years of background on the story lines and plot twists. Kind of a ..." so this is what makes him tic" thing.

Do you think it opens the door for another movie or series?

I enjoyed the series.

They were going to do a movie a couple years after the original series ended but then James Gandolfini passed away so that ended that.

Just a tip.....I didnt go to the theatre to watch it. I downloaded HBOMAX onto my smart tv and you could watch it there for free for the whole month of Oct. Costs 14.95 per month. There is a cheaper version of HBOMAX at 9.95 per month but then you dont get the movies SAME DAY as released in theaters so it would of done me no good. And yeah,....as it gets closer to the end of the month Im going to cancel. Just did it for this.

I'm looking forward to watching it. Vera Farmiga is always hot.

If you read the post I just put up you can watch it NOW for cheaper then going to the movies in the comfort of your own home with a pause button when you gotta take a piss or mix a cocktail! ;)

If you read the post I just put up you can watch it NOW for cheaper then going to the movies in the comfort of your own home with a pause button when you gotta take a piss or mix a cocktail! ;)

What's the purpose of big screen TVs and a sound system if I go to the movies anyway??? LOL

Agreed, at home is better. No assholes talking to each other or on their cells and PAUSE buttons are awesome. :thup:

What's the purpose of big screen TVs and a sound system if I go to the movies anyway??? LOL

Agreed, at home is better. No assholes talking to each other or on their cells and PAUSE buttons are awesome. :thup:

Exactly!!!! Way better at home.

Actually,....we need wayyyyyyyyyy more of this kind of stuff. Most of us ONLY participate in the political forums and it leads to seeing people as the enemy, or the other. Once people take politics out of the equation all that bullshit stops and people are people. O.k...all I will say on that now. Dont want this to turn into a political thread of ANY kind. Its a movie thread.

Just a tip.....I didnt go to the theatre to watch it. I downloaded HBOMAX onto my smart tv and you could watch it there for free for the whole month of Oct. Costs 14.95 per month. There is a cheaper version of HBOMAX at 9.95 per month but then you dont get the movies SAME DAY as released in theaters so it would of done me no good. And yeah,....as it gets closer to the end of the month Im going to cancel. Just did it for this.

Free trials are great. I cycle through all the major streaming channels. Currently on Hulu and Apple+ but plan to rotate to HBO and another in a couple months. Probably Showtime. I like to wait for the season to end then binge watch series. Ted Lasso was good. I'm in the middle of Foundation on Apple and American Horror Story on Hulu (FX)

We have Netflix and Prime in our house and won't give those up.

Scene from the vid I posted of that song I liked from the series...

They tried to whack him! LOL

Gandolfini 's Tony Soprano character using a carpenter's stapler on Al Sapienza's Micky Palmice character was one of my favorite funny scenes.

Also Paulie Walnuts complaining about the poison ivy ["It's itching me already!"] as he and Christopher shoot Palmice dead also had me in stitches.

David Chase shouldn't have Anglicized his own name, but he got the Southern Italian character down pat in the early seasons.
It was so easy to relate.

Gandolfini 's Tony Soprano character using a carpenter's stapler on Al Sapienza's Micky Palmice character was one of my favorite funny scenes.

Also Paulie Walnuts complaining about the poison ivy ["It's itching me already!"] as he and Christopher shoot Palmice dead also had me in stitches.

David Chase shouldn't have Anglicized his own name, but he got the Southern Italian character down pat in the early seasons.
It was so easy to relate.

Agreed with all. Mikey Palmice was such a prick! :laugh: I like the time on the bridge,.....right before he threw the guy off he said.....Dont worry, Im gonna make you a deal,....if you can fly I wont shoot you down!" :cool:

Or the famous episode with the ex Russian commando. Christopher to Pauli......." I'll leave you here you ONE SHOE Motherfucker!" :laugh:

Free trials are great. I cycle through all the major streaming channels. Currently on Hulu and Apple+ but plan to rotate to HBO and another in a couple months. Probably Showtime. I like to wait for the season to end then binge watch series. Ted Lasso was good. I'm in the middle of Foundation on Apple and American Horror Story on Hulu (FX)

We have Netflix and Prime in our house and won't give those up.

We have netflix and Prime as well. I myself rarely use Netflix but my wife does, but I do really like Prime though. Use it quite a bit. "Tomorrow war" was quite good and a free one. Those "white spikes were a real bitch!...LOL The series " Hunters" was quite good as well with Pacino.

Gandolfini's real son plays the teenage version of young tony in MANY SAINTS and man does that kid have his old mans eyes and mannerisms. There is a scene where the kid says...." im always being accused" where he is so his dad with the eyes, voice, and mannerisms its almost uncanny.

Nancy and I watched it last night also.

My reaction is so similar you yours, I am amazed.

Without the background of the original series, the thing would probably be a flop.
|
We're gonna watch it again later today.

I'd love to say more, but I cannot figure out how to hide the text behind a "spoiler" thingy.

Nancy and I watched it last night also.

My reaction is so similar you yours, I am amazed.

Without the background of the original series, the thing would probably be a flop.
|
We're gonna watch it again later today.

I'd love to say more, but I cannot figure out how to hide the text behind a "spoiler" thingy.

I hear you Frank, and thanks for the input!

Back