APP - marine told he must get permit or remove flag poll

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
i agree with the town, if the flag poll was not properly installed (they have hurricanes there) and fell on someone or something, some enterprising lawyer would not only sue the marine (he is not the owner of the property), the owner of the property and the town.

When U.S. Marine Gregory Schaffer returned home to Hypoluxo, Florida after serving in Iraq, he installed a flagpole to fly the American flag. Within days of doing so he was hit with a citation triggered by a complaint from an anonymous neighbor. Tim Large heads the Town of Hypoluxo building department and said that the flagpole is considered a structure so it must be permitted. Large added, “He can fly his flag, the issue is that he has to get a building permit…I would love to see the guy be able to do this. To me it's not personal, it's strictly my job.” Schaffer is renting the house, so he will have to get a third party contractor to apply for the permit, which could cost nearly $1000. The veteran said, "It's sad. It's sad that we have to go through that just to fly a flag." However, the Marine knows that he fought for the freedoms exercised by his neighbors and said, "I respect their right to be able to file a complaint and handle things the way they did. Do I respect what they did? No. I respect their ability to do so." Normally residents have 30 days to comply with a citation, but in this particular case, the Town of Hypoluxo building department said they will try to work with Schaffer to make sure he has every opportunity to fly his flag.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/u-marine-veteran-told-cannot-210019219.html

even if a licensed and permitted company/individual installed this pole, nobody would get sued over it falling during a hurricane. that's pure nonsense. This is nothing more than extorting money from a citizen to do shit on his own property.

even if a licensed and permitted company/individual installed this pole, nobody would get sued over it falling during a hurricane. that's pure nonsense. This is nothing more than extorting money from a citizen to do shit on his own property.

If it fell on a car killing children he wouldn't be sued?

Good God, I just realized you hwte any authority, even the code enforcement officers. Are you one of those nutcases with a house painted twenty different colors, weeds ten feet high and trash all over the yard?

I believe there's a name for that.

How about just a high wind?

However, I think that you are naive.

How conversant are you with Florida's and the towns building codes regarding hurricane force winds or even lower than hurricane force winds.

I think that if a flagpole fell over on my car, I would file a claim with my insurance company and let them sue whomever.

Well, at least these situations always teach us which of our community members get to be invited to block parties and Superbowl games, and which get to be shunned.

Has the Marine considered raising up the old Soviet flag on May 1st? :D

Well, at least these situations always teach us which of our community members get to be invited to block parties and Superbowl games, and which get to be shunned.

Has the Marine considered raising up the old Soviet flag on May 1st? :D

perhaps he should, but first get a permit...

If it fell on a car killing children he wouldn't be sued?

Good God, I just realized you hwte any authority, even the code enforcement officers. Are you one of those nutcases with a house painted twenty different colors, weeds ten feet high and trash all over the yard?

I believe there's a name for that.
stop being dramatic. whether the pole was installed by the homeowner or a licensed company would not stop somebody from suing them. However, what WOULD be done is upon any incident like you mentioned, 'code enforcement' would investigate and once it's determined that the installation met all requirements, the city would take no action against the licensed company, but WOULD fine the individual, making it a very clear cut case of extortion.

How about just a high wind?

However, I think that you are naive.
you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it is.

How conversant are you with Florida's and the towns building codes regarding hurricane force winds or even lower than hurricane force winds.
I do not live in florida, currently, but if I were to undertake anything like this in Texas, I damn sure would find all the relevant requirements for installation prior to initiating it. Those of us who stand to run afoul of law enforcement for our gun stance MUST make themselves aware of all laws in order to protect ourselves legally as much as possible.

I think that if a flagpole fell over on my car, I would file a claim with my insurance company and let them sue whomever.
as it should be, however, if the installation met all requirements a licensed company would not be sued, but an unlicensed individual would be making it, again, a clear cut case of extortion.

stop being dramatic. whether the pole was installed by the homeowner or a licensed company would not stop somebody from suing them. However, what WOULD be done is upon any incident like you mentioned, 'code enforcement' would investigate and once it's determined that the installation met all requirements, the city would take no action against the licensed company, but WOULD fine the individual, making it a very clear cut case of extortion.

Extortion? You're nuts.

What are flagpoles made of?

What is the lightening capital of America?

Who is the dumbest ex-Marine kickout with a dishonorable discharge on this forum??

you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it is.

I do not live in florida, currently, but if I were to undertake anything like this in Texas, I damn sure would find all the relevant requirements for installation prior to initiating it. Those of us who stand to run afoul of law enforcement for our gun stance MUST make themselves aware of all laws in order to protect ourselves legally as much as possible.

as it should be, however, if the installation met all requirements a licensed company would not be sued, but an unlicensed individual would be making it, again, a clear cut case of extortion.

sure of this are you...not being conversant with Florida's laws

This is not a flag issue.

The guy built a structure without getting a permit. I see this all the time.

Building codes are directly tied to the insurance industry. In my state all county inspections agents are under the state department of insurance. For the residents of the state to obtain good rates, insurance companies must be able to predict the risks. Enforcement of codes helps them to do this.

Extortion? You're nuts.
most taxes of this sort are nothing but extortion. to believe otherwise makes you a moron.

What are flagpoles made of?
any number of substances, irrelevant anyway.

What is the lightening capital of America?
still irrelevan.

Who is the dumbest ex-Marine kickout with a dishonorable discharge on this forum??
is there a marine with a dishonorable discharge on this forum????

most taxes of this sort are nothing but extortion. to believe otherwise makes you a moron.

any number of substances, irrelevant anyway.

still irrelevan.

is there a marine with a dishonorable discharge on this forum????

sry, flag polls need to be made out of noncorrosive material or they will degenerate over time and topple...usually at their base

howey, please do not post things that you are not sure of or found from a private source, it can get you banned. please see the sites rules or ask damocles

only if someone knows what they are doing

i was at a party when a pole holding up a volley ball net collapsed due to corrosion at its base from pool water...
and is it then your contention that only people who have taken accredited training and given the official seal of approval from momma gov knows what they are doing? that it's just not possible for someone to know what they are doing without those officially sanctioned items?

and is it then your contention that only people who have taken accredited training and given the official seal of approval from momma gov knows what they are doing? that it's just not possible for someone to know what they are doing without those officially sanctioned items?
Yes, but licensing and govco oversight ensures that the credentials are real.

I see it as a consumer issue. It is in the Constitution for GovCo to set standards of weights and measures and to coin money. By extension, labels are required on everything from food, clothing and building materials so the consumer can quickly and reliably compare products and make a decision of it's value to themselves. Without these standards Company xyz could produce products that appear equal on their face but are not, and both its competitors and its consumers would suffer.

It's no different when selecting a contractor.

Back