McCain: "The surge is working!"

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
CNN: Military Sources Respond To McCain’s Escalation Remark With ‘Laughter Down The Line’ »

Yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) told radio host Bill Bennett that President Bush’s escalation is working.

“There are neighborhoods in Baghdad where you and I could walk through those neighborhoods, today,” he said. Today, when CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked McCain why Americans still aren’t able to safely leave the Green Zone in Iraq, the senator replied that Blitzer was giving three-month-old talking points:

General Petraeus goes out there almost every day in an unarmed humvee. I think you oughta catch up. You are giving the old line of three months ago. I understand it. We certainly don’t get it through the filter of some of the media.

But according to CNN reporter Michael Ware, who has been in Iraq for four years, McCain is “way off base.” He stated,

“To suggest that there’s any neighborhood in this city where an American can walk freely is beyond ludicrous. I’d love Sen. McCain to tell me where that neighborhood is and he and I can go for a stroll.”

Ware also rebutted McCain’s assertion that Petaeus travels in an unarmed humvee:

“In the hour since Sen. McCain’s said this, I’ve spoken to military sources and there was laughter down the line. I mean, certainly the general travels in a humvee. There’s multiple humvees around it, heavily armed.” Watch it:

cnn video at

thinkprogress.org

He was very emotionally involved with it, that's why he supports it. He's son was wounded in Iraq, he had his legs blown off. McCain wanted an answer, something he thought would help the troops. Is it any coincidence that he started supporting escalation just after his son had the disability? I'm not really sure he should even be fit, emotionally, to make such a decision.

I mean, if I were in WWII, and my son had died, I wouldn't respond rationally. Whenever your children are hurt you never respond rationally.

Exactly. If it works, he gains, when it don't, he'll look like a jackass.

He's rolling the dice.
On the contrary side, if it works the Ds chances next November go down considerably regardless of whether McCain wins in the primary. Hagel would go right down with that.

I won't work Damo, we have created a west bank situation in an entire country.
it might die down a bit, but will still be there.

I won't work Damo, we have created a west bank situation in an entire country.
it might die down a bit, but will still be there.
Current lack of news reports of tons of people dying might get people to think otherwise.

I wait to see. It may even work. I thought it would take far more troops than that to actually create security for the people we became responsible toward after invasion. But it seems more successful than I thought it would be.

I expect the active "resitance" to die down just a bit, but not go away.
It will stay slilghtly quelled just as long a we keep a massive effort going on.

If mccain wants to say we should give the surge more of a chance, fine. That's an honest answer.

To say that there are neighborhoods in bagdad, where unarmed individual americans can walk around in safely, or that General Patreus rides around in an unarmed humvee, are complete lies at worst. Or delusional at best.

If mccain wants to say we should give the surge more of a chance, fine. That's an honest answer.

To say that there are neighborhoods in bagdad, where unarmed individual americans can walk around in safely, or that General Patreus rides around in an unarmed humvee, are complete lies at worst. Or delusional at best.

After listening to some of these right wingers, I'm starting to think that bagdhad is a vacation spot. I might plan a vacation there, this year. What do you think?

After listening to some of these right wingers, I'm starting to think that bagdhad is a vacation spot. I might plan a vacation there, this year. What do you think?

LOL - I've heard its safer than Philadelphia or Detroit.

Will you join me for an exotic vacation in Iraq?

Back