Miss New Jersey: Bring it!

Wouldn't Miss World or Miss Universe send the wrong message out too then in your opinion? :)

I don't think these type of things objectify the girls. . . not any more than bodybuilding competitions objectify men, at least. I see using one's beauty for one's benefit as a sort of skill, just as I would see using one's obscene huge muscles to win a body building tournament as a sort of skill - and I's say both require hard work!

Hey, if you can benefit out of it, or make money from it, go for it is what I say. . .

As you pointed out earlier Miss World and Universe are for adults. My only issue is when children are involved in them. In an ideal world, an adult has been reared as a child to make good decisions and understand his or her self worth goes beyond whats on the outside. Armed with this knowledge if they make the decision to enter a beauty contest, a wet T-shirt contest, or whatever I could care less. I just hate it that a child's self worth and foundations are built on something so frivolous and superficial.

As for body building contests, they have them for men and women. So in some respects the playing field is level. Each gender is based on their muscular build and definition that they obviously have to work at. Beauty contests are different - which is essentially what they are. I've yet to see a Mr. Universe competition on network TV. OH and I've heard the claim that Miss America, Miss [enter random state], etc aren't beauty contests, but has anyone that's fat and conventionally uattractive ever won?

Well I suppose...

Well, BB, it does sound like you are laying blame on the parents. They are the ones that subject their daughters to that type of objectification. Not that I have a problem with you laying blame, I'm just saying....

however I was giving the benefit of the doubt to those naive parents who had no idea of what they were getting into!

As you pointed out earlier Miss World and Universe are for adults. My only issue is when children are involved in them. In an ideal world, an adult has been reared as a child to make good decisions and understand his or her self worth goes beyond whats on the outside. Armed with this knowledge if they make the decision to enter a beauty contest, a wet T-shirt contest, or whatever I could care less. I just hate it that a child's self worth and foundations are built on something so frivolous and superficial.

Hmm. . . You bring up a good point there. Of course, I'm not sure if a girl of 18 is any more of an adult (in the practical sense, not legal) than a girl of 17, but I agree with your statement, though. . .

As for body building contests, they have them for men and women. So in some respects the playing field is level. Each gender is based on their muscular build and definition that they obviously have to work at. Beauty contests are different - which is essentially what they are. I've yet to see a Mr. Universe competition on network TV. OH and I've heard the claim that Miss America, Miss [enter random state], etc aren't beauty contests, but has anyone that's fat and conventionally uattractive ever won?

Yes - but the question here wasn't if the playing fields were level or not. ;-)

No, someone whose fat hasn't ever won Ms Universe, or Ms. America, but to be honest, someone whose fat should do everything in his/her power to not remain fat. . . This may sound harsh, but there isn't much point in sugarcoating the hard fact here. :-)

Back