Monetizing the Atmosphere

Another likeminded visionary gets a clue.

http://cobb.typepad.com/cobb/2007/04/monetizing_carb.html

Back in the real world, I want you to imagine a new cluster of multinational corporations 20 years in the future. Environmentalists have successfully lobbied to have all greenhouse gases monetized. Now not only all of the planet's oil, but all the planet's air is a valuable natural resource whose refinement and recycling is a large part of the global economy. We now know exactly how much proven resource there is. We now exactly what contributes to the composition of the breathable atmosphere. We now know exactly how pollutants travel through the atmosphere, how to collect them and remove them. We now know the dangers of cutting down trees and the economy of the paper industry has been turned on its head in subservience to the air industry. That's right, air industry.

If you hate Big Oil, how are you going to fight Big Air?

I don't know if pandora's box is half open or half closed. The idea that we could and should regulate greenhouse gases inevitably means that we are putting a price on air, and that will inevitably spawn an economy. Can we avoid such a future? I hope so.

more wisdom from cobb, a new hero.

cobb
www.mdcbowen.org/p1/cobb/cobbs_rules.htm
A little bit of everything adds up to a whole lot of nothing.
There is Marriage, and there is everything else.
Talk what you know.
Civilization is where you put it.
Don't second guess people.
Always have stretch goals.
Never trust anyone whose shoes cost more than your whole day's pay.
An enemy is someone who doesn't mind if you fail.
It's better to be the King of a small hill, than a Prince at a higher elevation.
An early start beats fast running.
Perfect is the enemy of good.
The Planet is fine.
None of your ideas are any good until somebody else can take advantage of them without your permission.
People don't have weakenesses so much as they overuse their strengths.

Back