Montessori

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
Anybody have an opinion of Montessori method?

My son is starting there this Tuesday.. hes 3.5. figure we will do for 2 years before kinder.

My son is starting there this Tuesday.. hes 3.5. figure we will do for 2 years before kinder.

I don't know a lot about it other than kids are encouraged to follow their curiosities and learn about what they want to at their own pace. It's hard to voice concerns without further info.

Am I even right about this part?

Not really..............

I am old school...it is up to the individual not the school that makes one great...Parents are the clue...not the school...all greatness begins at home!

yes its basically self-directed activity.. kind of less structure.. meant to get kid to be the motivation behind own learning.. tho the teachers use psychology to guide them to make those decisions. Im no expert.. it was just best school close enough to my house to send him 2.

I went to such a school and I really liked it, it clearly is not for everyone. Some kids need more structure than such a school provides. I dont think it matters so much for kids who are 3-5 years old.

Okay, you live in Massachusetts, send your kid to Montessori, you'll probably be driving a Volvo soon, and drinking expensive Chardonnay. Just give it to your liberal impulses. Looks like you'll be voting Green Party soon.

LOL what makes u think i dont vote dem? I actually did mostly blue in 06.

But im an independent and have very specific opinions about some issues.

It is very good for children who need structure. Your freethinkers get a little bored with the repetition of their tasks. It really depends on the, teacher, yes ladies and gentlemen, the teacher!

It does socialize them, too. I know you will be sure to track his attention and supplement his education at home!

Be ready to experience the "teacher said" syndrome. Things that you have been teaching them for years is finally solid gold because "the teacher said it"

I hope you all enjoy it, I have seen many children thrive under the program.

Good luck!

well thats what we hope fur. the mrs. has prior to this not worked first year.. then part time 24hours till now. .started 32hour job.. hes doing well for his age and im super structured. the mrs.. maybe not so much.. but im anal.

I am old school...it is up to the individual not the school that makes one great...Parents are the clue...not the school...all greatness begins at home!

Well, guess what, I have to disagree with ya. I have seen many children excel at school under a caring teacher when at home they get nothing. Many children in poverty stricken communities thrive under mentors.

Parents should be the clue, but sometimes they can't live up to the challenge!

yes its basically self-directed activity.. kind of less structure.. meant to get kid to be the motivation behind own learning.. tho the teachers use psychology to guide them to make those decisions. Im no expert.. it was just best school close enough to my house to send him 2.

They have changed the Marie Montessori method then.
It use to be that you had stations and were required to complete the task before moving on to a different task. I thought it to be very structured.

Guess I will have to go back and review what I know.

It use to be that you had stations and were required to complete the task before moving on to a different task. I thought it to be very structured.

You are both correct. The tasks are structured, but there is lattitude as to when the student will decide to do the task. There is some self-direction, and that may have been modified in as a result of modern society. Part of the goal is for the child to be able to self-teach (to an extent) and self-motivating. These are crucial in the environment where jobs are fleeting and shifting. New skills and the ability to learn quickly will be valuable.

We just started baby #2 on Montessori due to the success of #1.

Chap, go for it.

You are both correct. The tasks are structured, but there is lattitude as to when the student will decide to do the task. There is some self-direction, and that may have been modified in as a result of modern society. Part of the goal is for the child to be able to self-teach (to an extent) and self-motivating. These are crucial in the environment where jobs are fleeting and shifting. New skills and the ability to learn quickly will be valuable.

We just started baby #2 on Montessori due to the success of #1.

Chap, go for it.

thanks, Trog and baby #2 is in school, dang, has it been that long!

well its good to hear. The crazy thing is that its only $10 more a day for this school then it is for daycare for a day.

Last edited:
Froggie: Yes, Pumpkin is nearly two.

Chap: I'd suggest that your son go for three years. The Montessori system is based on a three year learning cycle.

well hes 3.5 now and it is a 3 year program. but im torn on sending him to public kinder or here in 3rd year

this year he will be Tuesdays and Thursdays full time
next year Mondays, wed, Fridays full time.
third year: TBD

well hes 3.5 now and it is a 3 year program. but im torn on sending him to public kinder or here in 3rd year

this year he will be Tuesdays and Thursdays full time
next year Mondays, wed, Fridays full time.
third year: TBD
We went with the "best foundation" and good habit establishment idea. We have two Montessori schools in town; one goes through 6th grade, the other is through kindergarten.

My kids attended Montessori from age of 2, until beginning kindergarten. They were way ahead, but it's got to be a 'good' Montessori, not 'whatever you want to do' or there will be problems with 'regular' classroom, even in kindergarten. Observe closely, there are lots of bad ones.

Yep, the child should 'decide' where to start, but after that, it should be structured. There should be both individual and group interactions. You nailed it.

Back