Most Historically Accurate Movies

Enemy at the gates (about the sniper Vasily Zaytsev)

Reds (10 days that shook the world)

Exodus

Enemies at the Gate pissed me off. That was a great book and the film makers raped it. They took a barely significant incident in the book and made it the central theme of the movie. It is one of the best examples of Film Makers raping a historical subject.

12 years a slave
Straight Outta Compton
Malcom X
Selma
Mandela
Thurgood Marshal
Amistad
Rosewood
Birth of a Nation
Ghosts of Mississippi
Night Catches Us

Just saying......

12 years a slave
Straight Outta Compton
Malcom X
Selma
Mandela
Thurgood Marshal
Amistad
Rosewood
Birth of a Nation
Ghosts of Mississippi
Night Catches Us

Just saying......

I really liked Amistad and Malcom X.

Enemies at the Gate pissed me off. That was a great book and the film makers raped it. They took a barely significant incident in the book and made it the central theme of the movie. It is one of the best examples of Film Makers raping a historical subject.

A good insight.

It was a great film in my opinion, but from what I have read the historical accuracy played second fiddle to artistic license. The running duel between Zaytsev and the German master sniper seems to have possibly been made up out of whole cloth.

A good insight.

It was a great film in my opinion, but from what I have read the historical accuracy played second fiddle to artistic license. The running duel between Zaytsev and the German master sniper seems to have possibly been made up out of whole cloth.
Well not only that but it represents about 3 pages of the book...if even that.

I loved Hidden Figures...

Black Girls Rock!

They do indeed. I have a lot of fond memories of the Sisters when I lived in Dayton. Those ladies took good care of me during one of the roughest times in my life and I’ve never forgotten.

One really did Rock my world. Accidentally knocked me out. Dropped me like a bad habit. It wasn’t to funny when it happened but I laugh about it fondly now.

See what I mean about depressing.

I totally understand!

My taste might be similar to yours, because generally I do not like to invest my time watching movies about the dark side of human nature. Too much of a downer! But I admit, something about Hitler and the Nazis draw my attention. I do not know what it is about them, but I am riveted to good World War 2 movies!

Yes, it was historically inaccurate, as was the ending. It was a pretty good move and loosely based on actual events, but not accurate.
Being a hi-power rifle instructor and competing in military rifle matches, I read a lot about various snipers and their techniques. Film makers
often use "tidbits" from actual events (like Hathcock's shooting right through the scope of an enemy sniper), but as far as sniper movies go,
none are truly accurate. I guess they need to add their own "twist" to the plots.

I enjoyed the movie, Lincoln...with Daniel Day Lewis.

I understand there were parts of Lincoln's machinations during the time covered in that film some prefer to put aside...but were depicted accurately. "Story telling" requires that some fiction be weaved into even the most accurate of historical movies.

I enjoyed the movie, Lincoln...with Daniel Day Lewis.

I understand there were parts of Lincoln's machinations during the time covered in that film some prefer to put aside...but were depicted accurately. "Story telling" requires that some fiction be weaved into even the most accurate of historical movies.
It was a great movie and it does accurately reflect Lincoln’s ability as a master politician. In fact it’s the only movie I’ve seen that reflect that at all. Most movies I’ve seen Mythologise Lincoln as being above Politics.

I do wish the movie had spent more time on how Lincoln lead his cabinet to emphasize that point.

My most recent historically accurate move was The Homesman with Hillary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones. Set on the edge of the frontier in Western Nebraska in 1850 it's about how the hardships of frontier life drove some women to insanity. Swank's character plays a hard as steel frontier woman who takes the lead in taking these women back east to be helped. To assist her a mule driver, played by Lee, is assigned the job of Homesman to take these insane lady's back east.

What would lead you to believe that this was a true story?

Thanks for the tip. The Homesman is on Netflix, just added it to my list.

I've seen it, it's two hours long but seems more like three to be honest. There is some decent cinematography but the story is turgid and Hilary Swank is the only good thing in it, acting wise. Maybe they should have made it into a musical?

Back