Most Likely Places to Find Alien Life in the Solar System

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
My riposte to the racism, bigotry, and misogyny that jpp.com is infamous for.
Something for the higher life forms and sentient beings of the internet.

Liquid water, complex organic molecules, nitrogen-based life, subsurface oceans...it's all out there.
I consider myself a space geek, but I was a little surprised at the intel about Pluto, Charon, and Venus.

Seven of the Most Likely Places to Find Alien Life in the Solar System

Mars
Europa, Jupiter's fourth largest moon could contain more water than all of Earth's oceans combined
Enceladus, Saturn's sixth largest moon
Titan, Saturn's largest moon, is the only celestial body in the solar system that is known to have liquid lakes on the surface other than Earth.
Venus
Pluto and Charon

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/g2328/7-most-likely-places-alien-life/

Conceptual plans presented by NASA to explore Europa and other ocean worlds.
Some of them involve robotic submarines.... which would be beyond hella cool.

NASA's plans to explore Europa and other "ocean worlds"
https://phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-explore-europa-ocean-worlds.html

Liquid water, complex organic molecules, nitrogen-based life, subsurface oceans...it's all out there.
I consider myself a space geek, but I was a little surprised at the intel about Pluto, Charon, and Venus.

Very interesting. Sounds adventurous.

Course, Leonthecat has already determined that No Life exists ANYWHERE, much less here in our Solar System.
I believe his Motto is: 'If Man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings'.

nobody mentioning Mars in opposition? Go out side tonight and look its YUGE

If I had 30 years of professional life left, I would seriously consider changing my specialty to planetary geology.

I am a little pessimistic about the possibility of life on mars, we have been there for closing in on half a century, but of course our instrumentation may not have been adequate until now to test for the types of life to be found there in the subsurface.

As to Mars -- two of the most electrifying moments in my life were the Apollo 11 landing, and the Viking landing on Mars. Our first pictures from the surface of other worlds. Unbelievable. I was just a kid, but those memories are crystal clear to this day.

If I had 30 years of professional life left, I would seriously consider changing my specialty to planetary geology.

I am a little pessimistic about the possibility of life on mars, we have been there for closing in on half a century, but of course our instrumentation may not have been adequate until now to test for the types of life to be found there in the subsurface.

As to Mars -- two of the most electrifying moments in my life were the Apollo 11 landing, and the Viking landing on Mars. Our first pictures from the surface of other worlds. Unbelievable. I was just a kid, but those memories are crystal clear to this day.
Apollo 11 was my first LSD trip...other then that I dig astronomy too -
but geology is beyond my education..Mars looks like it might have bacteria (from what I know) but still that is something that was in doubt until our lifetime

Have you gone outside and looked at Mars? Opposition is the 25th - but it's the same view now..

I've been going out with just my glasses and I have poor vision but even I can see it as a planet..
-don't miss it.

Can you remember where you were when they landed?

I was at a bar in Manhattan with a girlfriend watching it on TV.

We gotta keep searching.

I always wanted alien contact to happen BEFORE I left this world...but that seems a very long shot at this point.

Interesting stuff! I think...I certainly hope...both sides of the political divide can agree on that

Can you remember where you were when they landed?

I was at a bar in Manhattan with a girlfriend watching it on TV.

Watching it on TV with my brother. Just a little kid, but is is a Crystal clear memory.

SpaceX have successfully launched a block 5 version of the Falcon 9 rocket, liftoff took place at 05:50 UTC, July 22nd 2018 carrying the Telstar 19 Vantage satellite for Telstar. The first stage of the rocket touched down on an ocean going barge shortly after launch to be re-used later. Block 5 improves re-use ability and SpaceX claim the rocket can fly 10 times without refurb, and up to 100 times in total.

We gotta keep searching.

I always wanted alien contact to happen BEFORE I left this world...but that seems a very long shot at this point.

Interesting stuff! I think...I certainly hope...both sides of the political divide can agree on that

International cooperation in space is one of humanity's significant achievements. Considering our appalling record of competition and war in other realms of experience. Seeing North Americans, Russians, Chinese, Europeans, and Japanese working together in space seems, to me, a bright spot for humanity.

Extra credit. Can you guess the nationality by the facial expressions?
Gzdonnl.jpg

Watching it on TV with my brother. Just a little kid, but is is a Crystal clear memory.

me too

my Mom and dad and 5 siblings

I remember stepping outside that evening and looking up at the full moon

One of the coolest moments of feeling in my entire life

Very interesting. Sounds adventurous.

Course, Leonthecat has already determined that No Life exists ANYWHERE, much less here in our Solar System.
I believe his Motto is: 'If Man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings'.

LTC believes in science

so you are full of shit

Mars is a vastly more promising location for life than the inferno of Venus or the ice buckets of Pluto and Charon.

Mars is a vastly more promising location for life than the inferno of Venus or the ice buckets of Pluto and Charon.

Yes, that is the conventional wisdom, and at first blush it seems to make sense.

The thing is, we now have evidence that Pluto and Charon may have subsurface liquid oceans, and they are not cold and dead planets as previously thought. They are geologically active, and pack more residual heat than once thought. Since it is a binary system, gravitational forces could apparently generate enough heat to melt ice below the surface. In much the same way that tidal forces create liquid on some of the Jovian and Saturnian moons.

Based on the evidence we have, Mars does not have the potential for large bodies of standing, liquid water.

But, these are active areas of research and my knowledge is rudimentary at best. On balance, Mars may still be a better candidate for life, and what we do know about Pluto is data-limited and subject to conjecture and hypothesis.

Back