My farewell to the God of the Bible

About a month ago, I joined a Bible study of the first five books of the Old Testament. They meet on Wednesday evenings. Tonight will be my last, however, as I will be informing them that I can no longer maintain my integrity and accept the Bible is divinely inspired. The Old Testament is packed with so many absurdities, scientific inaccuracies, and contradictions that I can simply no longer believe it.

The God of the Old Testament is a psychotic, egotistical mass-murderer. Even if he were real, he would not be worthy of my respect. And since the New Testament says the Old Testament is divinely inspired (e.g. 2 Timothy 3:16), it is obviously not trustworthy, either. If someone said Ted Bundy was a moral, upstanding citizen, despite him being a vicious serial killer and rapist, would that individual be worthy of your trust? I think not.

I still believe Jesus was a wise teacher, and that there may be a higher power of some sort, but unless I am willing to lie to myself, I have no choice but to reject the Bible and its god.
Jesus IS the God of the Bible. So is His Father. Nobody is saying Ted Bundy was a moral, upstanding citizen....

Jesus IS the God of the Bible. So is His Father. Nobody is saying Ted Bundy was a moral, upstanding citizen....

Was it Jesus who commanded the slaughter of women and children?

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." (1 Samuel 15:3)

I've been pretty consistent for the past five years. Most of the bullshit before that was simply for attention. It was a cry for help.

This is a decision I haven't taken lightly. I just don't believe anymore.

I feel for you, man. I ran into this much earlier in age, but run into it I did. I simply didn't believe, and I wasn't willing to fake it to make my mother happy.

I feel for you, man. I ran into this much earlier in age, but run into it I did. I simply didn't believe, and I wasn't willing to fake it to make my mother happy.
I didn't stop believing. I just lost interest. Who cares? It's only regligion. It's not like it's relevent.

Apparently you have never found any of these inconsistencies in the Old Testament, what does that say about you?

it says I find your ignorance amusing.....and that you don't know much about the OT other than what you can paste from some idiotic AtheistsRUs website......probably one written by Bruce.....

Not "we" laughed, you laughed.

Actually, if you had posted on Politics.Com and FP, you would have laughed as well. Brent's religious trolls were hilariously funny. He had a "prophet" troll named Josef, who spoke in Olde English and in Caps Lock, making dire predictions and damning all who disagreed with him.

Back