My Fellow Texans

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
Two hurricanes, Marco and Laura headed our way, batten down the hatches!

Be safe and well. . My hubby is headed to the grocery store for water. If he isn’t successful, we’ll fill the bathtub and hope for the best.

We haven’t heard from Zappa in awhile, hope you are doing well!

Be safe and well. . My hubby is headed to the grocery store for water. If he isn’t successful, we’ll fill the bathtub and hope for the best.

Best to fill the bath tub anyway. Mostly for "flush" or rinsing water. Cat 1 hurricanes are just "character builders" unless you are on a boat or the beach, then any storm can suck.

The grass is mostly dead in North Texas due to lack of rain. I had to mow a little bit after that weather pattern last week. I'd been hoping to not mow for the rest of the year but it looks like we'll be getting more rain with one of these storms.

Best to fill the bath tub anyway. Mostly for "flush" or rinsing water. Cat 1 hurricanes are just "character builders" unless you on a boat or the beach, then any storm can suck.
Thanks, we were in CO during Harvey, so we only experienced the aftermath. This will be my first. I’m glad it’s a baby hurricane. My son is coming from CO! He’ll experience his first hurricane, too.

It all makes the midsummer gales blowing over my runner beans here seem very small beer (fill the bathtub with that?). Good luck both, whatever.

Thanks, we were in CO during Harvey, so we only experienced the aftermath. This will be my first. I’m glad it’s a baby hurricane. My son is coming from CO! He’ll experience his first hurricane, too.

The good thing about Harvey is that it would have cleaned out all the weak spots. The city would rebuild better. Several years ago Pensacola got pounded by a hurricane, the first in 10 years. Trees downed power lines and blocked streets. It was a mess. A year or two later they were hit again by a stronger hurricane but it barely did any damage since the first hurricane identified all the weak spots.

Yikes, you guys. Hope it turns out to be just a lot of rain and wind and not destructive! Filling up the tub sounds like a good idea.

I hope you stay safe!

Hello Phantasmal,

Tie everything down and head for high ground.

Best wishes for a good outcome!

Yikes, you guys. Hope it turns out to be just a lot of rain and wind and not destructive! Filling up the tub sounds like a good idea.

Odds are, that's what it will be. Anyone who's ever been in a really bad thunderstorm, that's what it will be like.....except it will last all day and/or night.

The current prediction appears that Houston will start seeing the outer bands Monday afternoon, have a really interesting Tuesday and it will fade Wednesday.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...s-are-now-tracking-two-storms-as-15506472.php
gallery_medium.jpg

Last edited:

Take care and be safe, hon! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the other Texans. :)

Best to fill the bath tub anyway. Mostly for "flush" or rinsing water. Cat 1 hurricanes are just "character builders" unless you are on a boat or the beach, then any storm can suck.

The grass is mostly dead in North Texas due to lack of rain. I had to mow a little bit after that weather pattern last week. I'd been hoping to not mow for the rest of the year but it looks like we'll be getting more rain with one of these storms.

"Character builders", I like that!

"Character builders", I like that!
Hurricane parties are fun...until the air conditioning turns off and the liquor and ice run out, then they suck.

It's not good to open a window to cool off when the rain is blowing sideways. At best, find the leeward side of a building, put on a bathing suit, grab a chaise lounge and relax until your fingers become all pruny. :)

Thanks guys

No worries. You should be fine unless your neighborhood is prone to flooding. How'd it do during Harvey aside from wind damage? If no serious flooding, you'll certainly be okay with Marco.

IIRC, cars can float in 18 inches of water, mostly dependent upon their chassis height. People shouldn't drive into any "puddles" unless they know the depth.

No worries. You should be fine unless your neighborhood is prone to flooding. How'd it do during Harvey aside from wind damage? If no serious flooding, you'll certainly be okay with Marco.

IIRC, cars can float in 18 inches of water, mostly dependent upon their chassis height. People shouldn't drive into any "puddles" unless they know the depth.
No flooding our end of the street, but house by the golf course flooded. They are lower in that area.

This is one of the main reasons my brother moved out of Houston.

Back