my own moral/ethical dilemma

I'm wrestling with a potentially dangerous issue, maybe even life threatening for those involved, and need as professional advice as anyone may be able to give.

My stepkid is wrestling with a heroin addiction. he left our house two weeks ago to go back to shooting up. his mother and I know where he's staying and they keep in touch, at least to let mom know he's alive every day. She went to visit him last night since we had such horrendous weather and she came back to the house telling me a story of 5 young kids that are very much in danger, at least as far as I'm concerned.

As I understand it, these people that own/run this deli store are also addicts, so they are doing this in front of the kids. My wife was told that these people just got their kids back from child protective services, but they look like they haven't had a bath in weeks and barely eat. They are starved, both for food, but also attention from their parents. They apparently hang around my stepson, when he's awake. He brings them mcdonalds french fries when he finds some money.

My dilemma is do I call the police? Do I call CPS? Who do I need to get involved? My wife said one of the kids looks about 8 years old. A frail little girl who acts like she's been molested. I don't dare go myself for fear of finding that out for sure and killing someone.

what would you do?

I mean I wish I could offer a more nuanced answer than that, but when children become involved in this stuff, they need to be taken out of that environment immediately. I mean seriously, what would your other options be?

Yeah. Call CPS. It sucks, but kids need a better envrionment than that. Its a lose/lose for everyone involved, but you gotta think of who'll lose the least.

also, depending on your situation, maybe get your stepson home for easter weekend, THEN call it in. That way he doesn't have to be there when the cops show up. you don't want the cops searching your stepson and finding boatloads of drugs.

I'm wrestling with a potentially dangerous issue, maybe even life threatening for those involved, and need as professional advice as anyone may be able to give.

My stepkid is wrestling with a heroin addiction. he left our house two weeks ago to go back to shooting up. his mother and I know where he's staying and they keep in touch, at least to let mom know he's alive every day. She went to visit him last night since we had such horrendous weather and she came back to the house telling me a story of 5 young kids that are very much in danger, at least as far as I'm concerned.

As I understand it, these people that own/run this deli store are also addicts, so they are doing this in front of the kids. My wife was told that these people just got their kids back from child protective services, but they look like they haven't had a bath in weeks and barely eat. They are starved, both for food, but also attention from their parents. They apparently hang around my stepson, when he's awake. He brings them mcdonalds french fries when he finds some money.

My dilemma is do I call the police? Do I call CPS? Who do I need to get involved? My wife said one of the kids looks about 8 years old. A frail little girl who acts like she's been molested. I don't dare go myself for fear of finding that out for sure and killing someone.

what would you do?

Call CPS.
If they find illegal activity, they'll call the Police.

what would you do?

Oh, how terrible for them and for you. This is why I hate Child Care Protective services, most states agency of this type are underfunded and the staff overworked. The children ont get the protection or the follow up.

I would report them, but that is me, I can't stand aside and watch children suffer.

It is hard to do because foster homes can be as bad on the children as their abusive homes.

I hope you have a better functioning system then the one we have in Anchorage.

Good luck!

also, depending on your situation, maybe get your stepson home for easter weekend, THEN call it in. That way he doesn't have to be there when the cops show up. you don't want the cops searching your stepson and finding boatloads of drugs.

Great advice.

Call CPS. Allowing this to go unreported makes you a part of the problem. You heart is telling you the right thing. Listen to it.

Yeah. Call CPS. It sucks, but kids need a better envrionment than that. Its a lose/lose for everyone involved, but you gotta think of who'll lose the least.

I agree, CPS. Maybe they call the police anyway, but you never know when they are going to tase someone to death for answering the door without a big enough smile, and how badly they might terrify these already traumatized children. CPS.

THat's so horrible though STY. Just heartbreaking.

Oh, how terrible for them and for you. This is why I hate Child Care Protective services, most states agency of this type are underfunded and the staff overworked. The children ont get the protection or the follow up.

I would report them, but that is me, I can't stand aside and watch children suffer.

It is hard to do because foster homes can be as bad on the children as their abusive homes.

I hope you have a better functioning system then the one we have in Anchorage.

Good luck!

I know, it seems such a catch-22. :(

i got no problem calling the police on my stepson. done it before. the problem i have calling CPS is that they won't respond right away, the police might not either. I've got a phone call in to a local detective I sorta know out here. waiting for him to call me back.

what would you do?

I'd call CPS first and try to find out how soon they'd get there (hopefully ASAP). But keep the police in mind if CPS isn't moving fast enough.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, not only with your stepson, but knowing what you do about five innocent young kids in a possibly life or death situation. The only other thing I can suggest is to stay on that phone until someone responds.

Please let us know what happens. After rereading your original post, I have to wonder about CPS returning the kids to their parents in the first place.

i got no problem calling the police on my stepson. done it before. the problem i have calling CPS is that they won't respond right away, the police might not either. I've got a phone call in to a local detective I sorta know out here. waiting for him to call me back.
If you don't get a response and a resolution to this, within a few days; I would suggest going over their heads and contact the county attny.

i would call it in. even state care is better than this garbage.

by not calling it in, imo, it akin to tacit approval. not comparing, but if you knew they were being physically or sexually abused, would you even hesitate?

i would call it in. even state care is better than this garbage.

by not calling it in, imo, it akin to tacit approval. not comparing, but if you knew they were being physically or sexually abused, would you even hesitate?

If I knew it for sure, i'd be sitting there waiting for the cops to show up. This is Texas though, and false accusations like this become a payday for others in lawsuits. I have a hard enough time financially and I don't need to add to it by supporting dopers based on kids who may or may not tell the truth. I'll feel safer relying on calling in my concerns.

If I knew it for sure, i'd be sitting there waiting for the cops to show up. This is Texas though, and false accusations like this become a payday for others in lawsuits. I have a hard enough time financially and I don't need to add to it by supporting dopers based on kids who may or may not tell the truth. I'll feel safer relying on calling in my concerns.

ah. i thought you knew for sure...my bad.

Back