My Rack Just Got Bigger

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
Look at these babies, have you ever seen their likeness? I just got awarded a new ribbon, and so my ribbon rack is finally a full two rows completed. It's nice to finally have something worth wearing around, and any more that come my way can be taken more for granted. These are all federal, so perhaps Washington will decide to help out sometime, and give me some military bling.

attachment.php

Feel free to submit snapshots of your own.

Damn, you been in that long and that's your stack? I got a whole nother row. With deployment ribbons and multiple awards (including a second good cookie somehow).

To break it down, I earned the bottom two on the left simply for signing up (1) post-9/11, and (2) at a unit actively involved in a War on Terror mission. I earned the bottom right for surviving Basic Training (think Private Pyle, but slimmer, slightly smarter, and mentally competent), and the top-centre for maintaining my "combat readiness" for six straight years at my assigned unit thus far (a third device will be coming my way for it next year in May). The top corners are awards my unit has won for being awesome in the categories of overall units and reserve units, respectively (twice each, since I arrived).

So, basically, I have only "won" myself two ribbons, three were gained for my unit being awesome, and one more was a consolation prize. I have had the opportunity to win two more while at Basic -- Marksmanship Ribbon and Honor Graduate Ribbon -- but didn't come close on either. Technically, I could have won the honor grad ribbon at basic and then added a device for it at Tech School. Due to a huge slew of supervisors who were lazy and never gave a damn, I have never been put in for unit awards, and thus never have had the opportunity to win a state award. Now I have an actively engaged supervisor, plus friends in high places left over from my part-time years. I think someone recently submitted my name for a unit award, so I'll see where that leads me...

Damn, you been in that long and that's your stack? I got a whole nother row. With deployment ribbons and multiple awards (including a second good cookie somehow).

I figured you'd have some good deployment ribbons, but didn't want to quite call you out, due to you having a shorter stay than I've had thus far...

Fuck, where is my uniform...... fuck it. Ill just list them. I forget the order of precedence.

Nation defense
Global war on terror
Iraqi campaign (x2)
Sea service deployment
Global war on terror expeditionary (fought for months for that)
Navy unit citation
Presidential unit citation
Good conduct medal (x2)
Combat acton ribbon

Last edited:
My buddy Mike has both of us beat. He has 9, including a navy acheivement medal for driving a flaming humvee to find a working fire extinguisher (that was filled with artillery powders).

Hopefully I'll get a damn, fucking state award one of these days. They don't show on the federal personel datebase I used to generate that image, but it would be nice to get at least one. If I ever manage to get my act together, and get through a couple of training schools, I would have another two just for that.

Anyway, I have a job application package in my backpack to bid for a promotion. I am just legally eligible for the bid, and there's one or two things I haven't completed which would be invaluable to have in terms of being competitive. Pretty much, I don't have a hope to make Tech Sgt this time around, but one must go through the motions, or one has nothing to complain about... Oh, yeah, and some admin fuckers almost screwed me over for this bid, because they JUST got around to processing my current skill level which I am required to have for the job application (I was eligible for the skill level upgrade last May, but, whatever...).

God, I just realized how awesome I am. No one else on this forum can say they nearly broke a presidents hand.

What stopped you?

I was surrounded by other marines/soldiers and Bush pulled away. But mine was the last hand he shook during the ceremony.

Also, I wasn't trying to break his hand, or even hurt him. It was just a reflex. He reached out to shake my hand, that had been trained for years to give a 'business' grip. Plus I was in Iraq and lack of female companionship, coupled with the need for a strong grip on my machine gun, meant I could crush a coconut barehanded.

I was surrounded by other marines/soldiers and Bush pulled away. But mine was the last hand he shook during the ceremony.

Also, I wasn't trying to break his hand, or even hurt him. It was just a reflex. He reached out to shake my hand, that had been trained for years to give a 'business' grip. Plus I was in Iraq and lack of female companionship, coupled with the need for a strong grip on my machine gun, meant I could crush a coconut barehanded.

I can just imagine the moans and groans going on when you were all bunked down together.

Back