My Rack Just Got Bigger

USAFR pukes never do anything significant.
That's why the Air Force is the best armed service in which to be an enlisted man. Why in all the other branches of the Armed services the officers order their men into harms way but in the Air Force the enlisted men salute the officers and say "Go Get Them Sir!".

I bet 3D never woke up in some foxhole or bunker in some hell hole in Iraq munching on MRE's for his daily chow and having to dodge IED's on his daily commute to work. Bet he's had a dry bed and a hot meal every night too.

That's why the Air Force is the best armed service in which to be an enlisted man. Why in all the other branches of the Armed services the officers order their men into harms way but in the Air Force the enlisted men salute the officers and say "Go Get Them Sir!".

I bet 3D never woke up in some foxhole or bunker in some hell hole in Iraq munching on MRE's for his daily chow and having to dodge IED's on his daily commute to work. Bet he's had a dry bed and a hot meal every night too.

Eventually I do plan on going for a commissioning opportunity. I'm only 25, and so I have a window of more than a decade to enact this plan. I have my degree, and I took the qualifying test (okay score, nothing special), but since I let a lot of stuff slide while I was playing college student, I'm trying to become a good NCO to make-up for it. I'll be bidding for more rank, picking up additional certs/qualifications, getting into much better shape, and so forth. Getting through officer training school is not going to be easy for me, once selected, so I want to give myself the best fighting chance to make it.

back in my day, one actually had to do something significant for a ribbon, not just sign up or join a unit.

I notice the Canadians don't hand out many ribbons to their troops. While wandering by the Canadian orderly room at work, I glanced at their wall of national VIP photos (Queen Elizabeth II is on it), and saw that their highest ranked Chief Warrant Officer has fewer ribbons than I have.

I'd have to dig out my old military paperwork to remember what I had. But the one I remember most, and am the proudest of, would be my "dolphins", for qualifying on a submarine.

My husband doesn't like to talk about his. He is very humble.

Well, not to say anything about your husband, because I don't know the man, but most of the time ther isn't much to tell. Or he may not want to think about it. My wife knows very little of my deployment.

Well, not to say anything about your husband, because I don't know the man, but most of the time ther isn't much to tell. Or he may not want to think about it. My wife knows very little of my deployment.

I think he tries to spare me, as you probably do your wife. He saw some pretty gruesome stuff. He was "search and destroy". His unit, is that the right term, was at Hill 875. I have only heard details of that Thanksgiving one time and he cried. 39 went in, 13 came out. He now mentors our friend and C. credits Bud with saving his life. It was after his first tour in Iraq, he was in Hawaii on leave, had been drinking and had a flashback, he called me, I called Bud at work and Bud talked him through it and encouraged him to go to the emergency room. He was home recently for leave on his way to Germany, we had dinner. He is doing well, but looking forward to no more combat tours, he did two in Iraq and two in Afghanistan. C. Is a ranger, so I know what he has experienced has been horrible.

I think he tries to spare me, as you probably do your wife. He saw some pretty gruesome stuff. He was "search and destroy". His unit, is that the right term, was at Hill 875. I have only heard details of that Thanksgiving one time and he cried. 39 went in, 13 came out. He now mentors our friend and C. credits Bud with saving his life. It was after his first tour in Iraq, he was in Hawaii on leave, had been drinking and had a flashback, he called me, I called Bud at work and Bud talked him through it and encouraged him to go to the emergency room. He was home recently for leave on his way to Germany, we had dinner. He is doing well, but looking forward to no more combat tours, he did two in Iraq and two in Afghanistan. C. Is a ranger, so I know what he has experienced has been horrible.

Personally I don't like to talk about it much unless its funny stuff, like beating off in a porta shitter.

Wow, sounds like the biscuits I made in Home EC, they were bad.

Well we used to throw treats to kids during convoys. We had a box of muffins that had apparently sat in the truck for a couple months. So when I reach down to grab on to throw, I don't realize it's basically a banana nut brick. So I toss the thing, and my aim was off (or dead on, depending how you look at it). The kid, who is damn near sprinting after our trucks, gets beamed right in the face by the lead muffin. The upper half of his body stops, but the lower half still has a ton of momentum, so he ends up like a cartoon, with his legs flying out in front of him and eventually over his head. I felt terrible, but it was probably the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Well we used to throw treats to kids during convoys. We had a box of muffins that had apparently sat in the truck for a couple months. So when I reach down to grab on to throw, I don't realize it's basically a banana nut brick. So I toss the thing, and my aim was off (or dead on, depending how you look at it). The kid, who is damn near sprinting after our trucks, gets beamed right in the face by the lead muffin. The upper half of his body stops, but the lower half still has a ton of momentum, so he ends up like a cartoon, with his legs flying out in front of him and eventually over his head. I felt terrible, but it was probably the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Ahahahahah, I bet, and the kid was probably lie, WTF!

Dude, that's the Corps. You know everyone else hands them out like candy.

Earning my Dolphins was teh toughest thing I've ever done. It was not physically demanding (other than the sleep deprivation), but I could get 3 more Bachelors degrees with less than what I had to learn to get that pin.

Earning my Dolphins was teh toughest thing I've ever done. It was not physically demanding (other than the sleep deprivation), but I could get 3 more Bachelors degrees with less than what I had to learn to get that pin.

Thanks for your service as well.

Yeah, I understand that's tough. But, for example the army, gives out a ribbon for throwing a grenade in training. It's not the only example that I know of. Hell, depending on the unit, the Corps does it too with NAMs.

Funniest thing that's happened in my service was August 2010 when we scrambled fighters from Portland to Seattle to enforce a temporary flight restriction around the President, and the pilots played the system and got our controllers to let them fly supersonic below an acceptable altitude. The Western Washington residents learned what a sonicboom sounds and feels like. Now, when people in the local area ask me what I do, I just say "remember those Portland fighters that broke the sound barrier?"

Another great episode was when an adjacent ground radar unit scrambled fighters on a mylar baloon.

Back