Nascar

Jeff

Who gives a damn
I hope y'all have been watching this year, if not ya need to be, History in the making again, JJ 5 for 5

I've been a fan all my life. My dad once raced with the Allison brothers, Donnie and him were best friends. In fact, Donnie wanted Dad to go to Indy with him and learn to drive Indy cars, but Dad got burned really badly and got out of racing before they got the chance... Donnie went on to Indy, and was actually the first NASCAR driver to compete in the Coca-Cola 600 and Indy 500 on the same day. It's been done by several others now, but he was the first. I can remember them coming to the house and working on race cars, Davey Allison shared a playpen with me in the back yard.

A lot of non-fans will argue it's just a bunch of cars going around in a circle, but there is so many variables and factors involved, race strategy, pit strategy, tires, fuel, crew chief and driver expertise... what JJ is doing is truly phenomenal, and unbelievable. He has dominated the sport for the past 5 years, and in my opinion, has accomplished more than Richard Petty or Dale Earnhardt ever dreamed of in such a short period.

I was so happy to see Jamie McMurray win Daytona! Can you imagine? The guy doesn't look old enough to have a driver's license, and wins the biggest race of any driver's career! To me, that was just awesome! I have several 'favorites' among them, Mark Martin, Dale Jr., Carl Edwards, Juan Pablo Montoya... and I have a few I can't stand, mainly, Tony Stewart! I would rather see ANYBODY win besides Stewart! I just can't stand the guy... I bet he's a PINHEAD! lol

I was so happy to see Jamie McMurray win Daytona! Can you imagine? The guy doesn't look old enough to have a driver's license, and wins the biggest race of any driver's career! To me, that was just awesome! I have several 'favorites' among them, Mark Martin, Dale Jr., Carl Edwards, Juan Pablo Montoya... and I have a few I can't stand, mainly, Tony Stewart! I would rather see ANYBODY win besides Stewart! I just can't stand the guy... I bet he's a PINHEAD! lol
I met Jamie at the Brickhouse Tavern when I was living in Davidson, NC. He had just had his first win subbing for Marlin. Heck of a nice guy. He was living in Mooresville at the time and frequented the Sushi bar my wife worked at. She liked him too. Was always polite. I was glad to see him win Daytona too. Couldn't of happened to a more deserving driver.

I could probably do some damage to Juniors reputation with the red neck crowd. He used to frequent the Sush bar to. Him, Jeff Burton (his wife is just adorable. tiny little thing!), Kasey Kahn, Michael Waltrip (I tell ya he stands out in a group of Nascar drivers. There all about 5'5" and Waltrip is about 6'2"). Stewart was a regular too and the waitresses would fight to serve him cause he ussually gave a $20/tip (get it? His car #?).

I saw all these guys there and never once asked for an autograph cause I figured I'd hate to be pestered with that while I was eating.

I could probably do some damage to Juniors reputation with the red neck crowd. He used to frequent the Sush bar to. Him, Jeff Burton (his wife is just adorable. tiny little thing!), Kasey Kahn, Michael Waltrip (I tell ya he stands out in a group of Nascar drivers. There all about 5'5" and Waltrip is about 6'2"). Stewart was a regular too and the waitresses would fight to serve him cause he ussually gave a $20/tip (get it? His car #?).

I saw all these guys there and never once asked for an autograph cause I figured I'd hate to be pestered with that while I was eating.

I am not a NASCAR fan, but have met many of the drivers thru my business associates and connections. Great guys, but seriously competitive bunch.

Junior is a nice guy that is way less redneck than people think. And you are right, Waltrip looks like a giant in the crowd. I knew some of the Hueytown gang too. Dixie, if you knew Davey then you knew one of the nicer guys in the game. Shame he went so young.

I am not a NASCAR fan, but have met many of the drivers thru my business associates and connections. Great guys, but seriously competitive bunch.

Junior is a nice guy that is way less redneck than people think. And you are right, Waltrip looks like a giant in the crowd. I knew some of the Hueytown gang too. Dixie, if you knew Davey then you knew one of the nicer guys in the game. Shame he went so young.

Yes, I cried for days after he died, I couldn't believe he was gone. It was almost too much for me to come back to racing as a fan after that, and when I did, wouldn't you know it, I started rooting for Dale Earnhardt, because I didn't think anything could ever kill old Ironhead... man... talk about the shit luck! After that, I stopped having a "favorite" driver, I figured it was best. I've just got several I root for now if they are up front, and several I root against, and I just like to see a good race. Bump drafts and slingshots are exciting to watch, I love it!

No kidding about Junior. He was dating this drop dead gorgeous long legged black girl from Charlotte. She was stunning but his business advisors were horrified about it. Was afraid it would damage his popularity.

:clink:

Oh, most decidedly, Mott!! Such is the only thing that would make the infernal, fernal. The Dale Earnhardt crash was the highlight of NASCAR in my lifetime, and the only actual incident I can cite off-hand.
You wouldn't say that if you'd actually witnessed a fatality or serious injury at a race event like I have.

I don't think that would work. The "Stock" vehicles don't have the chrome moly frames or the crumple zones designed for racing style impacts.
So use a race frame. But they'd have to use a stock engine, transmission, suspension and exact body contours. This would bring race tech to the street and advance automotive design.

The way it is now NASCAR is basically running 70's era technology. Its stupid.

Where's the independent suspensions, direct fuel injection, variable timing overhead cams, computer engine management and and multi-coil ignition present in today's grocery getters?

I hope y'all have been watching this year, if not ya need to be, History in the making again, JJ 5 for 5

watching people drive cars in circles is torture. Attending the events can be fun, but actually WATCHING? I don't think so. Watching paint dry is more entertaining.

'Lap 148 out of 250... yes Bob, they are still driving in circles... quite an exciting race we have here. Oh look, a bird... pretty little bird...'

'Lap 148 out of 250... yes Bob, they are still driving in circles... quite an exciting race we have here. Oh look, a bird... pretty little bird...'

You're one of the people who don't get it and probably never will. NASCAR racing is so much more than driving in circles. It's the cars, engine, tires, setups... (about a million different variables there), pit crew, engine builder, crew chief, driver skill, and that is just what gets you to the race... then there is pit strategy, fuel mileage, tire compounds, handling issues, avoiding accidents and other stupid drivers, the track surface, drafting partners, high-side/low-side, when to pass, when to not pass... spotters, team mates, sponsorships... an all of it is happening a few inches apart at 190 mph all afternoon. It takes a combination of talent and balls of steel to compete.

I can think of several sports that are far less exciting to watch, golf puts me to sleep! Basketball? Just watch the last 30 seconds of any game! Hockey and Soccer... don't even bother watching, just tell me who scored the goal! NASCAR isn't for everybody, that's why they made Synchronized Swimming! One thing that's hard to argue with, no sport in America draws the audience of NASCAR... even the Super Bowl doesn't attract 200,000 in attendance.

You're one of the people who don't get it and probably never will. NASCAR racing is so much more than driving in circles. It's the cars, engine, tires, setups... (about a million different variables there), pit crew, engine builder, crew chief, driver skill, and that is just what gets you to the race... then there is pit strategy, fuel mileage, tire compounds, handling issues, avoiding accidents and other stupid drivers, the track surface, drafting partners, high-side/low-side, when to pass, when to not pass... spotters, team mates, sponsorships... an all of it is happening a few inches apart at 190 mph all afternoon. It takes a combination of talent and balls of steel to compete.

I can think of several sports that are far less exciting to watch, golf puts me to sleep! Basketball? Just watch the last 30 seconds of any game! Hockey and Soccer... don't even bother watching, just tell me who scored the goal! NASCAR isn't for everybody, that's why they made Synchronized Swimming! One thing that's hard to argue with, no sport in America draws the audience of NASCAR... even the Super Bowl doesn't attract 200,000 in attendance.
I actually got to agree with you Dixie. The main challenge in Nascar as I see it is driving in traffic at 180 mph. That's why I prefer the short track and restrictor plate events. There's no other form of motor sports like it. You know what would happen if two drivers bump drafted each other in F-1 or Indy? You'd have two dead drivers.

You want to know what people like about NASCAR SF? Go driving through Chicago and get on the far left lane, stuck in the middle of a convoy of tractor trailers, at 80 mph with your exit 4 lanes to the right coming up in 1/2 a mile. Think that won't make your asshole pucker? Now try that at 185 mph. That's NASCAR and the guys who can do that with out having a heart attack are phenomanol drivers.

As for the events themselves. I completely enjoy the country fair atmosphere of NASCAR events.

NASCAR isn't supposed to be F-1 with the worlds best drivers in the worls best technology driving super technical courses.

NASCAR is about pack driving and may the best man win.

Having said that....someone may have to kill JJ.....his dominance is causing a lot of people to lose interest in the sport.

Back