NC state police shoot & kill deaf man

While this is tragic, how were they supposed to know that he was deaf.
The Police aren't the ones who make policy on what's on a Drivers License or immediately available on a vehicle registration.

More then likely, all they knew was that they had an uncooperative traffic stop; that apparently escalated.

I'm wondering how he was able to get DL, if he was deaf; unless the deaf angle is being blown bigger then it really was.
Common misconception, as this explains.

http://www.hearingsolutions.ca/blog/can-you-drive-if-youre-deaf

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Common misconception, as this explains.

http://www.hearingsolutions.ca/blog/can-you-drive-if-youre-deaf

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

And there is the quandary.

If he had the "mirrors" and the "special devices", then was he trained in how to behave if he's pulled over; since his ability to verbally respond is limited?

A simple search revealed this.
Is this what he did?

How to React when You Are Pulled over As a Deaf Driver

1. Turn on your turn signal or four-way flashers immediately upon seeing the emergency lights of the police vehicle. This will tell the police officer(s) that you acknowledge them and are looking for a safe place to stop.

2. Pull off to the side of the road when it is safe to do so. If you are on a bridge or a roadway with very little space, continue on until there is a place that is safe for you (and the officer) to stop at.

3. Turn your dome light on inside your vehicle and open your car windows. This will allow the officer to see inside your vehicle and ensure that there is nothing in your vehicle that will compromise his safety.

4. Carry a notepad and pen in your vehicle and keep it accessible to the driver's seat. Ahead of time, make a note on the front page of the notepad indicating that you are deaf or hard of hearing.

5. Show the notepad to the officer upon his approach. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and place the notepad in a visible spot. Do not make any sudden movements as he is approaching your vehicle or once he is next to your car door.

6. Wait for the officer to respond to you via the notepad. Continue your conversation by writing notes to each other on the notepad.

Tips

•Always try to remain calm. Anger or discontent could cause confusion and length the duration of your traffic stop.
•Consider purchasing or creating a visor card that can be placed on your driver's side visor. Visor cards are a simple but efficient way to tell a police officer that you are deaf or hard of hearing.
•Various websites online offer downloadable visor cards that one can print out and attach to their car's visor.

Warnings

•Do not make any sudden movements. Traffic stops always pose an unknown danger to police officers and just like you may not know what to expect from them, they aren't aware of what to expect you to do.

Download a free copy of the Hard of Hearing Visor Card here,...

I'm asking; because everyone seems to be jumping to a conclusion, without knowing all the info or what happened.

Are the Police to just AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME that the person is deaf, if they're acting like they don't hear the commands; ie. They don't put up their hands and are reaching behind their back?

Last edited:
Maybe it's something else, like general disrespect of authority, or refusing to accept personal responsibility.

Nah- much easier to blame the military.
Gee since when were those ever death penalty offenses punishable by summary execution? Last I heard this was America. Not Germany.

While this is tragic, how were they supposed to know that he was deaf.
The Police aren't the ones who make policy on what's on a Drivers License or immediately available on a vehicle registration.

More then likely, all they knew was that they had an uncooperative traffic stop; that apparently escalated.

I'm wondering how he was able to get DL, if he was deaf; unless the deaf angle is being blown bigger then it really was.
Look I'm not demonizing police officers here but these completely avoidable incidents are happening far to often.
Why? My guess is that it's the training involved.

I'm not about to give police officers any slack on being held accountable. They're supposed to be professionals. It comes with the territory. If they can't deal with it then they need to find a new line of work. A high level of accountability is just part of being a professional.

The rest of the professional world has this expectation and accepts this as simply a fact of life.

Last edited:
Look I'm not demonizing police officers here but these completely avoidable incidents are happening far to often.
Why? My guess is that it's the training involved.

I'm not about to give police officers any slack on being held accountable. They're supposed to be professionals. It comes with the territory. If they can't deal with it then they need to find a new line of work. A high level of accountability is just part of being a professional.

The rest of the professional world has this expectation and accepts this as simply a fact of life.

And at what point are you going to express the need for the citizens to take some responsibility to their actions that sometimes lead to a "avoidable incidents"; because are the citizens to be treated like responsible adults or irresponsible children?

Are drivers supposed to put their car in gear and drive, after being pulled over by the Police?
Are drivers supposed to lead the Police on an 8 mile car chase?
Are drivers supposed to exit their vehicle, after finally stopping, before they are instructed to do so?

Last edited:
Cop logic;

There's a traffic violation...
Let's pull him over...
Hey this guy is acting a little odd...
Let's kill him.

USFREEDUMB:

That was justified.
Good cops.

Back