NCAA College Football Playoffs?

Nope. Why would you think I would want to do that?

In 1989, 1994?, and 1998, the CFA and NCAA approached their member institutions with a proposition for a playoff system. It was voted on by the boards of directors, and all of them rejected it. Each time, they attempted to moderate the previous proposal, but the sticking point was always academics. If you don't believe me, go talk to someone on a BoD of a CFA institution, and get back to me on what they tell you.

How many people sit on the BoD at UA?

How many people sit on the BoD at UA?

The Honorable Bob Riley
Dr. Joseph B. Morton

Finis E. St. John IV, President pro tempore <--Acquaintance
Karen P. Brooks
Paul W. Bryant, Jr.
Angus R. Cooper II
Judge John H. England, Jr.
Joseph C. Espy III
Ronald W. Gray
Andria Scott Hurst
Vanessa Leonard
Wallace "Davis" Malone, III
John J. McMahon, Jr.
Joe H. Ritch
William "Britt" Sexton <--Former business associate
Marietta M. Urquhart
James W. Wilson III <-- Friend of the family

IS there some point you are trying to make here???

to me 16 is way too many, I say 8
the beauty of college is the regular season means so much, I'm not interested in what 3 loss team can get hot in Jan and win it all. Not sure 8 isn't too many
It's not. Reduce the regular season to 11 games and a 16 team playoff is very doable. When you compare the Fooball schedule to the baskeball schedule then that argument just doesn't hold water.

It's not. Reduce the regular season to 11 games and a 16 team playoff is very doable. When you compare the Fooball schedule to the baskeball schedule then that argument just doesn't hold water.

Basketball season also includes a long stretch, where universities do not typically hold classes or have exams. Academia is not effected, and if it is, in the case of basketball, it is a very small number of student-athletes, compared to a football team.

Basketball season also includes a long stretch, where universities do not typically hold classes or have exams. Academia is not effected, and if it is, in the case of basketball, it is a very small number of student-athletes, compared to a football team.

Football season includes Fall Break (for many schools), Thanksgiving, and the Xmas break. By the time Spring Break comes, many schools have been eliminated from tournament play.

Also, since basketball season starts in Nov, both sports are playing during mid-term exams.

Football season includes Fall Break (for many schools), Thanksgiving, and the Xmas break. By the time Spring Break comes, many schools have been eliminated from tournament play.

Also, since basketball season starts in Nov, both sports are playing during mid-term exams.

Well you are just pecking around what I said like a little hen. There are all kinds of differences between basketball and football, the size of the teams, the size of the crowds, the length of the games, the time it takes to practice and prepare, the logistics of where practices are held, across the board it's just a different deal altogether, and the two sports can't be compared in terms of their effect on academics.

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass about this, I happen to have had conversations with the ultimate authorities, the people who decide these things for the universities, and they have told me this is the reason there isn't a playoff. It's not about money, it's not because some people want to be wet blankets, it's about academics and maintaining academic standards. ANY realization of a playoff, will have to take this into consideration, and unless it does, it just isn't going to happen. If you don't want to believe that, I don't care, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. I just thought I would interject the reason, so you would know. If it can't penetrate your marble-like cranium, I don't know what I can do about that!

Well you are just pecking around what I said like a little hen. There are all kinds of differences between basketball and football, the size of the teams, the size of the crowds, the length of the games, the time it takes to practice and prepare, the logistics of where practices are held, across the board it's just a different deal altogether, and the two sports can't be compared in terms of their effect on academics.

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass about this, I happen to have had conversations with the ultimate authorities, the people who decide these things for the universities, and they have told me this is the reason there isn't a playoff. It's not about money, it's not because some people want to be wet blankets, it's about academics and maintaining academic standards. ANY realization of a playoff, will have to take this into consideration, and unless it does, it just isn't going to happen. If you don't want to believe that, I don't care, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. I just thought I would interject the reason, so you would know. If it can't penetrate your marble-like cranium, I don't know what I can do about that!

Your personal conversations, as fascinating as they must be, are irrelevant. And your claim to be unconcerned about whether we accept it, because you were just trying to help us by educationg us, is absurd. The anger in your responses shows that quite clearly.

There has been much written about the need for playoffs, and much research into why it has been fought against. The academics are an excuse thrown out at times, but not a real reason. The idea that universities would allow basketball programs to miss more classes and more tests because the team size is smaller is ridiculous. That is just your way of refusing to admit you are wrong.

Its about the money, Dixie. Right now the major conferences divy up millions of dollars. If a playoff gets in place, they will have to share the revenues with all the college teams. That means less for them.

That is why the Big 10 commissioner is against a playoff, while the president of the university of Florida is a vocal supporter of playoffs.

Just as an FYI, a quick scan of the UA's basketball schedule shows 13 games played on weeknights. They play 5 games on wednesdays during the regular season.

Your personal conversations, as fascinating as they must be, are irrelevant. And your claim to be unconcerned about whether we accept it, because you were just trying to help us by educationg us, is absurd. The anger in your responses shows that quite clearly.

There has been much written about the need for playoffs, and much research into why it has been fought against. The academics are an excuse thrown out at times, but not a real reason. The idea that universities would allow basketball programs to miss more classes and more tests because the team size is smaller is ridiculous. That is just your way of refusing to admit you are wrong.

Its about the money, Dixie. Right now the major conferences divy up millions of dollars. If a playoff gets in place, they will have to share the revenues with all the college teams. That means less for them.

That is why the Big 10 commissioner is against a playoff, while the president of the university of Florida is a vocal supporter of playoffs.

Just as an FYI, a quick scan of the UA's basketball schedule shows 13 games played on weeknights. They play 5 games on wednesdays during the regular season.

The commissioners of conferences do not have the say on what a particular university will or will not do. Sorry! That's just not how it works with Universities. The ultimate "decider" is the Boards of Directors or Trustees, and no one else. The playoff idea has been presented to them through the years, and it continues to be rejected by academia, for the reasons I stated. It's just as easy for me to claim "it's about the money" is an excuse often thrown out, but clearly, anyone can see it's not really about the money. An NCAA college football playoff would generate enormous amounts of money not currently being realized. An extra 15 (or so) extra premier games, being played for a purpose, in high profile venues, would generate much more money than the current system. If you are so stupid as to not comprehend that, I can't help you.

I am not angry in my responses, I am getting frustrated with your stubborn dismissal of what I have said, because you are uninformed and don't have access to the same information as myself. I don't care what Sports Illustrated had to say in an editorial, they don't get to decide either! The decision on whether to have a playoff or not, is ultimately up to the participating universities, and they have been reluctant to adopt such a plan, because of academic concerns. I'm not saying you don't make a legitimate argument with your basketball comparisons, even though, basketball is a much different type of sport, and not nearly as time-consuming for the student-athlete. I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see a playoff system... I am merely pointing out, there is an aspect to this that isn't being comprehended, and apparently, you are going to stubbornly refuse to accept it... that's fine too! But until you acknowledge that aspect, you won't see a playoff system in college football, that is just a fact.

I think you lose fan interest with any tourny
right now the college season generates more ineterst period.
And Based on LSU having the two crystals so far I say it works GREAT!!!

Back