need a quote

I can't remember it right now, but it referred to communist philosophy i believe about to every man his needs, or production. something to that effect. anyone?

Watermark is more Libertarian than anyone I have ever met. His disguise is truly a masterpiece of intellectual design.

Now wait a second. Isn't this the same guy who failed his senior research thesis on "How to tie your own shoe" because he was wearing penny loafers?
No, that was you Mott. Or at least it would be if Ohio actually had some sort of learning institution that taught something other than football.

i like you watermark...but you often just parrot your professor speak

LOL, I didn't get this from a professor. My history teachers in community college weren't intellectuals and basically just read from the book, and at MS State all I've had are engineering classes.

Basically he was saying that society would eventually reach a point at which point it became so productive that everyone had basically everything they would need, and people would work what they wanted to work (such as hobby-gardening, or making art). Which is similar to the concept of post-scarcity, a concept in futurism. Except now we realize that, if given the opportunity, most people would just amuse themselves to death.

Leninism modified this to "From each according to his ability, to each according to his work". I'm like... isn't that capitalism?

Marx more than likely took it from the Bible.

Actually you're right:

wikipedia said:
The phrase has its origin in the New Testament. In the parable of the Kingdom of Heaven, Jesus spoke of what we are given, according to our abilities; to test the commitment of the steward to his master. In Acts the Apostles lifestyle is described as communal (without individual possession), and uses the phrase "distribution was made unto every man according as he had need"[6]:

“ Matthew 25:15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to each according to his ability. And he went abroad at once.
Acts 2:45 And they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, according as anyone had need.
Acts 4:32-35 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, and laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Actually you're right:
Actually, she's wrong and you're a liar.

Matthew 25:

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

The parable teaches the exact opposite of Marx.

Mathew 25, Acts 2:45, and Acts 2:32-35 is clearly where he got the quote. Can you show some evidence that this is not where he derived this phrase?

The meaning of the parable is irrelevant to this discussion. Marx clearly wasn't a Christian.
Apparently you got the quote from wikipedia, and it was obviously re-worded to make it look like it reinforced Marxist philosophy. So either you knew it was a lie or are woefully uneducated in the basic tenets of the Bible, so are unqualified to comment on same.

Take your pick. :)

Apparently you got the quote from wikipedia, and it was obviously re-worded to make it look like it reinforced Marxist philosophy.

Ridiculous paranoid nonsense. You're quotes come from the NIV, this comes from the MKJV (although Marx was referencing the KJV, which uses similar wording). Pretty obviously not a translation that would've been around in the 19th century, because it changes "talents" to "bags of gold".

You know this as well, but as a conservative, it of course sadistically pleases you to not argue in good faith and remain willfully ignorant of the facts of the matter because you know it annoys me.

The verses from the MKJV:

And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to each according to his ability. And he went abroad at once.

And they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, according as anyone had need.

32 ¶ And the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul. And not one said that any of the things which he possessed was his own. But they had all things common.
33 And the apostles gave witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus with great power. And great grace was on them all.
34 For neither was anyone needy among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 and they laid them down at the apostles' feet. And distribution was made to every man according as he had need.

The verses from the KJV:

And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need.

[32] And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
[33] And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
[34] Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
[35] And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Now will this shut you, or do we need some fucking haldol for that?

So either you knew it was a lie

How is it even possible for this to be a lie? It is literally just a couple of verses copied straight from the MKJV. Why would I necessarily know it was a lie if it could possibly be one?

or are woefully uneducated in the basic tenets of the Bible,

Whatever interpretation you have of the bible is wholly irrelevant to this discussion. He got the phrases from the bible. Since he plucked them out of two different sections he's pretty clearly mocking whatever message that part of the bible had.

Back